Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i get pulled over tonight for having a aftermarket exhaust.

31.293 (5) (a)

(5) NOISE ABATEMENT EQUIPMENT MODIFICATIONS.-

(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle or any other noise-abatement device of a motor vehicle operated or to be operated upon the highways of this state in such a manner that the noise emitted by the motor vehicle is above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.

So the cop gives me a fix a ticket for improper equipment. Now What? I really dont feel like buying a stock exhaust and going through the hassle of swapping so what are my options for this? There has to be something other than swapping exhausts?

I have had supras with aftermarket exhausts for the past 8 years and have never had a problem, tonight im just leisurely cruising along and i get it. Anyways not to happy about the situation but i guess it happens. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
Really? where was this at? usually cops around here are pretty cool about it..

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
IIRC, its a non-moving violation, so i dont beleive there are points associated w/ that violation

you could take it to court. take a picture of your car, and 4 or 5 other cars. one with stock exhaust and all others modified, ranging from Apexi Worldsports (if anyone even USES that on a MKIV) to N1's, and such... then ask the officer to pick out WHICH car has the STOCK exhaust. IF he cant tell the difference between a Stock exhaust and a modified exhaust, he is not trained to properly identify an illegal exhaust. i interpret this citation to bring into question the equipment of the vehicle rather than the noise level. it doesnt say you EXCEEDED a specificl db limit, but if this is an issue for them... then bring into question that the officer is not properly trained to know specific db limits and when a vehicle is within compliance and when one is outside of the compliance.

check into that, you better fight it now... cuz if you take the blame for this one, itll make you look bad in the future as a Habitual offender and they wont go easy on you.

·
EchoDeDupra
4,122 Posts
ive got a stock exhaust for sale ;) ill let it go cheap ...heh heh

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
flubyux2 said:
IIRC, its a non-moving violation, so i dont beleive there are points associated w/ that violation

you could take it to court. take a picture of your car, and 4 or 5 other cars. one with stock exhaust and all others modified, ranging from Apexi Worldsports (if anyone even USES that on a MKIV) to N1's, and such... then ask the officer to pick out WHICH car has the STOCK exhaust. IF he cant tell the difference between a Stock exhaust and a modified exhaust, he is not trained to properly identify an illegal exhaust. i interpret this citation to bring into question the equipment of the vehicle rather than the noise level. it doesnt say you EXCEEDED a specificl db limit, but if this is an issue for them... then bring into question that the officer is not properly trained to know specific db limits and when a vehicle is within compliance and when one is outside of the compliance.

check into that, you better fight it now... cuz if you take the blame for this one, itll make you look bad in the future as a Habitual offender and they wont go easy on you.

well being that the ticket is for a statute that directly affects the VOLUME of the exhaust OUTPUT, i doubt your little scheme would work... since the ticket was NOT for how shiney the muffler was or wasn't.

Try again S.F. Bench Lawyer Extraordinaire, Esquire. :)

·
Never fast enough
716 Posts
i dont see how cops can pull over all the import car driving around with aftermarket exhaust and not stop all those oversized redneck trucks running around with just headers or straight pipes, they are 10 times louder than cars, and also some of those motorcycles are just way too loud. if i were you i would fight that ticket like flubyux2 said. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
strange, i run around open DP all the time and never get looked at

·
Registered
827 Posts
if it's a white postcard looking thing just throw it away. i get warned every once in a while. i always tell them it's the same decibal level as the stock exhaust, or that it came from factory with that exhaust. works every now and then lol

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
jon_24v said:
well being that the ticket is for a statute that directly affects the VOLUME of the exhaust OUTPUT, i doubt your little scheme would work... since the ticket was NOT for how shiney the muffler was or wasn't.

Try again S.F. Bench Lawyer Extraordinaire, Esquire. :)
Ahhh, touche'... good point my friend. i think he could take a picture of the stock exhaust, NA exhaust and a TRD exhaust... all of which are factory options and all of which have different noise levels. maybe video evidence of SupraRyRy's car which is an NA with GTE exhaust, stock GTE exhaust and someone w/ a TRD exhaust. then, pose the same question to prosecution and ask them to kindly identify WHICH car is not stock. if they pick ANY Of them, they are clearly not trained to assess which cars are "illegal" and which are "legal". of course, i could see prosecution objection to the relavance of this test.. but, it goes to prove a point that law enforcment officials are not trained to be experts on decibel sound limit identification in the field. if they are not trained to be experts, then how can he determine that THIS exhaust is illegal, or any other exhaust; stock or aftermarket?

·
ViperKiller187
284 Posts
flubyux2 said:
Ahhh, touche'... good point my friend. i think he could take a picture of the stock exhaust, NA exhaust and a TRD exhaust... all of which are factory options and all of which have different noise levels. maybe video evidence of SupraRyRy's car which is an NA with GTE exhaust, stock GTE exhaust and someone w/ a TRD exhaust. then, pose the same question to prosecution and ask them to kindly identify WHICH car is not stock. if they pick ANY Of them, they are clearly not trained to assess which cars are "illegal" and which are "legal". of course, i could see prosecution objection to the relavance of this test.. but, it goes to prove a point that law enforcment officials are not trained to be experts on decibel sound limit identification in the field. if they are not trained to be experts, then how can he determine that THIS exhaust is illegal, or any other exhaust; stock or aftermarket?

And then when he loses the bench trial, he will be kicking himself for not taking the deal beforehand. And now being at the mercy of the judge, who will find him guilty and beat his backside.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
well thats possible that the judge wont want to hear any of his defense. its up to the judges discretion whether or not he wants to make an example of you. the law should be fair, and if it is, he would win. but the law isnt always fair, despite the checks and balances that are in place.

the Best option is to put a stock catback on the car take a picture and then say that you fixed it.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
or find the highest DB level for a stock supra exhaust, take pictures of a muffler on a supra thats the same color as yours that has a similar (lower) DB level.

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
I dunno how close Melbourne is, but I have a stock catback you can borrow if you don't have any cloer options.

·
Always on call
1,928 Posts
Not sure if it will bolt up to the TT, but I have a NA exhaust in gainesville ill sell for uber cheap. Let me know and good luck either way.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Finnaly got this ticket taken care of. You have to either have a police officer sign off on your ticket (your suppose to have your exhaust fixed then go to police station and have it inspected) or you can do what i did and pay a $77 fine instead. I just went and told them i have not had time to fix the exhaust and would just like to pay the fine. Payed the money and was on my way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts