Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator, Piss me off. I dare you.
12,619 Posts
*gack* Sorry, I just threw up a little in my mouth.

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
Repost. And I wouldn't mind a RWD sporty, fun to drive car that gets 60 MPG as a DD........ And remember that this is no "Prius coupe" as it's a completely different RWD platform.

This is meant to compete with the Honda WWD hybrid coupe (CRZ).

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
I just don't think it will be.
Why not? RWD, light, torquey (beauty of electric motors).

I'm not suggesting it would be as fun to drive as an F430, but this car would not be meant to be a pure sports car as opposed to a high MPG fun car to drive.

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
"If the company gets it right, the car could do 0-60mph in seven seconds"

Must be faster than a 23 year old MK3 to be: "the much loved sports car".

Though this is a step in the right direction, remember where the serious R&D for normal cars comes from. When they work on luxury and high performance cars the normal commuters get much better.

"The key challenge for Toyota will be developing a powertrain that’s sporty to drive. It will have to improve the rate at which the batteries charge and discharge, for razor-sharp responses. "

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
It's not a Prius at all so I don't see why you are "done with them." They quote in the article that, "It has to be fun to drive, too, which means the hybrid set-up must be different to the Prius’s, with greater responsiveness.” I don't see why this is a bad thing.

I don't think it should be placed under the MR2 badge considering it will have nothing MR associated with it at all. Kinda dumb. I think it's at least promising. I don't really care what the artist rendering is like as all they did was jack the FT-HS concept and chop it up. Doesn't mean anything IMO.

Alex

·
Registered
683 Posts
Such a girly car, but at least it looks better than the ugly MR-S.

·
Administrator
17,234 Posts
I think it's fairly safe to say I won't be running out to the dealership to throw down a deposit on that car anytime soon. :)

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why not? RWD, light, torquey (beauty of electric motors).

I'm not suggesting it would be as fun to drive as an F430, but this car would not be meant to be a pure sports car as opposed to a high MPG fun car to drive.
I see where you're coming from and I hope it does become a fun little car. But I'm so affraid it will be heavier than whats being claimed and will get a really soft suspension.

If I'm wrong, great! I may even consider one. But, I won't believe it until it's in a showroom.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I can understand everyone's frustration at Toyota for refusing to put out a real sports car, but there is a really good reason..... sports cars are not selling for shit.

The people at Toyota know what they are doing. They are a successful company that doesn't need government bailouts to stay afloat because they make the right decisions for the current market.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
^ Yes, they did.

http://www.newser.com/story/52285/toyota-asks-japan-for-a-bailout.html

Lets not forget, Ford didn't use the bailout money.

I understand what you mean. They have been conservative in their line-up, but, why is it so bad to have a RWD, gasoline powered sports car? I'm not saying has to be a balls out GT car like the Supra. But, I want to see small, lightweight RWD cars that are fun again that don't cost the same every month as a house.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
They asked for it, but they don't need it. What do you think would happen to GM if they didn't get their money? They'd be gone. I don't think that would happen to Toyota.

And if they are asking for a bailout now..... imagine how much they'd have to ask for if they designed and made sportscars that no one bought.

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
I don't understand, John... you don't own a Toyota now, do you? Haven't you been done with Toyota for a long time?

Next car in this household will probably be a Prius or some such.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I drive a Matrix all day. It's my assigned work vehicle. Sometimes I'll grab the fleets Sienna if I can when I want to ride in real comfort. ;) We are suppose to pick up a new fleet after the summer. My boss has asked me to help him pic the new work horse we pick. He was looking at the dodge Calibers the other day. I steered him away from them. We rented one to try it out. SO GUTLESS. Not that the Matrix is a hot rod, but my God, what a POS.

I should be clearer, I'm done hoping Toyota will come out with an exciting car. If I were looking for new DD, Toyota is at the top of my list. But, that's because it won't die.

Right now, the FJ and IS-F are the only thing that catch my eye. I'm not saying the line up is bad, just bland.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Hey, just because most V6 powered family sedans will be faster than Toyota's only future sports car doesn't mean you should be done with them.:eek:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts