Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
1993 RX-7
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my oil like two days ago, and I noticed a little leak from oil drain bolt. I tightned it down, and went to pour in some more oil. I accidentally grabbed my ATF bottle, and poured some in before i freaked out. I estimate maybe like a quarter of a cup. I managed to suck some out with a syringe thingy, but i know theres still some in there. Question is..... i just changed my oil and don't really want to drain it all and change it again, can the ATF hurt anything? I remeber someone saying that some mechanics will throw some in to clean out the system anyway. Thanks a ton... im such a newb :<

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
That little bit is not gonna hurt but I wouldn't leave it in there. I think you should do another oil change.... leave the filter just change the oil

·
512RWHP... 503RWTQ... 7M
3,292 Posts
ATF acts as a detergent, and alot of times people will use it to clean the engine when doing an oil change... So I wouldnt worry about it, just change your oil soon... You dont want to drive around like that...

·
Supra Enthusiast
2,381 Posts
I couldn't tell you how many people I get at work (Advance Auto Parts) that put ATF in their oil. The atf is right next to our motor oil and it's the first thing you see in the display. In the year and a half I've worked there, I've had at least 4 cases of people putting in like a quart or two. It's either that or they don't know where to put it

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
i think the best ive seen is morons putting oil in their radiator/washer fluid resivour/power steering fluid. Happens all the time at the gas station I work at. Ill be outside emptying the trash or something and just watch them look around with a quart in their hands trying to figure out where to pour it.... and then they open up the first thing they find. Then I completly lose all composure and drop to the ground laughing so hard I start to vomit.

·
Supra Enthusiast
2,381 Posts
I get some customers that ask for help putting in oil sometimes. It doesn't bother me too much but when they say "I don't know where it goes" and they have an oil cap that says OIL in big letters it kills me

·
S.T.A.R.S.
260 Posts
hoser813 said:
i think the best ive seen is morons putting oil in their radiator/washer fluid resivour/power steering fluid. Happens all the time at the gas station I work at. Ill be outside emptying the trash or something and just watch them look around with a quart in their hands trying to figure out where to pour it.... and then they open up the first thing they find. Then I completly lose all composure and drop to the ground laughing so hard I start to vomit.
Hey I use ATF in my power steering pump :stickpoke It's thicker than power steering fluid and I dont get an annoying whine when it's cold out. Dont really know why it whines i'm on my 14th rebuilt pump since I had the car.

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
You mean thinner. In the manual it says to use ATF DEXTON II in the power steering, nothing else. Regular power steering fluid is thicker than tranny fluid

S

·
0 Posts
Yup. the Power steering reservoir cap itself tells you use ATF. Weird thing is, my pump hates it. It whines when i use it, and is quiet when i use regular PS fluid :(.
staticpat, that much oil isn't going to hurt anything. It's still oil. Tranny gears also have a lot of friction so....

·
1993 RX-7
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks alot, I appreciate all responses. I felt like a moron after doing it, but I guess it's not that big a deal. I'll probably change the oil within the next week or so just to be on the safe side.

·
regretfully supraless
1,331 Posts
I've heard of pouring ATF in with oil to help clean it out, and run it for a little while...you should be just fine, but yeah, don't wait 2k miles to get it out... :)

·
S.T.A.R.S.
260 Posts
FromDaStreetz said:
lol If you've gone through so many pumps why aren't you using the right stuff?
Gone through so many pumps using regular power steering fluid. Decided to try ATF on the 14th build and I've been on this rebuild for about 18 months now straight and no problems. I finally decided to try something thicker to keep it from whining and hey it worked.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
sxymk3 said:
I've heard of pouring ATF in with oil to help clean it out, and run it for a little while...you should be just fine, but yeah, don't wait 2k miles to get it out... :)
As it was mentioned, ATF is a detergent. It won't hurt anything even if you run it for a couple thousand miles. I got this straight out of Toyomoto's mechanic's mouth. He told me to run a full quart less of oil and a full quart of ATF in my dad's 4runner since he found a little sludge in it when he changed the oil. Told me to run it like that about 3,000 miles.

It'll clean up your engine's guts nicely :) and it really won't hurt it. Don't go wasting all that expensive oil a week from now, now that it's in there at least let it work for you for a little bit longer than that.

·
evil will always triumph
2,225 Posts
i wouldnt worry bout it at all..... u can go the full 3k + miles..... i do this alllll the time... the ATF is actually good for your engine.... it will get rid of all the tarnish on the metals inside

i ususally do a quart of ATF once a year on my personal cars

chris

1 - 20 of 23 Posts