Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got a little problem... as stated in the title i am boiling my power steering fluiid. it does not happen in around town driving, but rather when im driving home (in the mountains). i have a 1j powered 87 so the resevoir is on the intake side. i still have the p.s. cooling line and have nothing in the way of it. i also tried ducting air to it and that did not help. i have tried using atf type II, atf dex/mercon, and synthetic power steering fluid.
does anyone have any ideas?
thanks
-jamis

·
Registered
973 Posts
time for a bigger oil cooler than that little bar for the powersteering...

Though on the SCCA track car i have been working on we are just using an HKS powersteering cooler for the MKIV( another bar type similar to stock).. I would much rather have a big oil cooler mounted where it could get plenty of airflow.

But i would first remove/clean the powersteering resivoir.. That would make sure there is nothing clogging the screen in the bottem restricting flow.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i cleaned the resevoir when i completed the swap (3 weeks ago or so) i also ran brakleen and compressed air through the lines, i was thinking i could run the old 7m oil cooler on the return line. would that work?
thanks
-jamis

·
Registered
347 Posts
according to alldata online, in 1991 they changed the PS oil "cooler" they added fins to the lines, plus the lines were bigger in diameter, and it said they fit all years of the mkiii. that might help out.

·
Registered
929 Posts
when i did my 1jz swap, my clip didnt have the original ps cooler lines so what i did was run the ps line coming from the passenger side through the front then connecting it to a transmission cooler and going back to the ps resevoir. i haven't had any problems with it so far.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts