Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Supra Addict Since 1984
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm bought a fuel system - Should I get Walbro or OEM pumps?

I've heard the Walbro's are quite loud, or that you'll hear them whining when you're at idle.

Are there other performance differences between them and factory pumps? Need to know ASAP.

Thanks,
John

·
Blue 03 cobra I wish :)
251 Posts
which fuel system kit did u get ?

ken t78 (shopping for fuel system kit)

·
Blue 03 cobra I wish :)
251 Posts
do they come with installation manual(cause I will be taking to shop to get installed )
and how much should I be looking at the kit

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hey John, greetings from the ATL.
Phil Panas has got the dual Walbro set-up and when I rode with him I could barely hear the pumps running. Not that I was paying attention to the pumps and how loud they were, but had it been a "whining" external pump I'm sure that would have gotten my attention. Also Mark Shaw (if you remember him) has gone single and is also running the same set-up. I think with the engine running, the sound of a tuned exhaust and the music playing it'll be hard to hear the pumps. Also I believe these pumps do flow a little better than stock at higher pressures.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
RSP TRD Single-T said:
Titan MotorSports' new kit with 860 injectors.

Congrats John. I've been following your single turbo project. I ordered the same fuel kit, and just waiting for it to arrive!! I only went 7200cc though. Good luck. Let me know how everything goes.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Supralative said:

Congrats John. I've been following your single turbo project. I ordered the same fuel kit, and just waiting for it to arrive!! I only went 7200cc though. Good luck. Let me know how everything goes.

I will be posting pictures of johns new setup on www.utahracing.com, as soon as we get all the that parts back from polishing, coating and I finish the install. Its going to be a beast… John and I also got the new 4000 stall Torque Converter from Precision Industries.

Matthew

Im going single also baby.....

M

·
0 Posts
I think the OEM pumps are a proven solution and you know you won't get any noise. I have never asked what HP they are good to b/c I only planned on 720's, but I assume it would last well up into the 900's.

·
Registered
362 Posts
John,

I've got dual Walbros and although Dusty @ MVP said they were not noisy at idle they are very clearly audible. It's just like a serious alternator whine. My trunk is completely empty and I think some sound dampening material would help.

On the other hand someone also told me that two stock pumps at 12V also are not entirely inaudible.

Flavio

·
Registered
197 Posts
blackbird said:

I will be posting pictures of johns new setup on www.utahracing.com, as soon as we get all the that parts back from polishing, coating and I finish the install. Its going to be a beast… John and I also got the new 4000 stall Torque Converter from Precision Industries.

Matthew

Im going single also baby.....
Matthew, Is that the new triple clutch converter that you have? Do you know if it is available in other stall speeds as well?
Thanks

·
Registered
849 Posts
Lonestar Dawg said:

Matthew, Is that the new triple clutch converter that you have? Do you know if it is available in other stall speeds as well?
Thanks
yes, i had a type-o on my site.
i dont know.

·
"Philzilla"
694 Posts
MaxPrime said:
I think the OEM pumps are a proven solution and you know you won't get any noise. I have never asked what HP they are good to b/c I only planned on 720's, but I assume it would last well up into the 900's.
Dual Walbros aren't much noisier (10% I'd guess), and they flow far more than the oem pumps, especially at high pressures. Lastly (and possibly most importantly) they fit perfectly side-by-side in the bottom of the fuel tank's center resevoir. Dual oem pumps have to be mounted with one slightly higher and in front of the other, which means that at a very low fuel condition, one pump could suck air, when the other was sucking fuel.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
pwpanas said:
Dual Walbros aren't much noisier (10% I'd guess), and they flow far more than the oem pumps, especially at high pressures. Lastly (and possibly most importantly) they fit perfectly side-by-side in the bottom of the fuel tank's center resevoir. Dual oem pumps have to be mounted with one slightly higher and in front of the other, which means that at a very low fuel condition, one pump could suck air, when the other was sucking fuel.
Phil, I believe that test was flawed somehow. Maybe the OEM pump drew too much current and there was a voltage drop, or maybe the pump was worn out (if thats possible). I've seen numerous tests (and actual first hand experience) on the internet that claim that the stock pump flows more than the Walbros, especailly at higher fuel pressures.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/fuelpumpflowrates.htm

Maybe if they upped the pressure more the Walbro would catch up.

That being said, I ordered 2 Walbros because they draw much less current (Can use the stock wiring, which is a 30 amp fuse), probably do work better at high fuel pressures (counting backpressure in the lines, mine will likely see more than 73 psi), and for the fitment reason you mentioned. Plus, both of them w/ socks and everything are only a little more than another stock pump.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts