Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Banned
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats right...i finally finished!

It first started with sourcing the motor. I posted up and got a response from a few people, Sherbaz was the first guy. I began talking with him and finding out information and trying to see what he had in stock. Sherbaz was a great guy to deal with. He talked to me all about how he can help me out and what not finding a motor that would fit my needs. He told me he had a JSPEC True Supra Motor. So i decided rather than worrying about swapping water pumps and etc. I just decided to go with that motor. It came with a auto tranny, ECU, Igniter, and Harness. Just like any other motor you see someone is selling, a compelete package ready for a swap basically. Of course like any other swap you need an oil pan etc etc etc. After i put a down payment Sherbaz sent me a video of the motor starting on the ground. After that i was satisfied with it and proceeded with the rest of the payment and then followed through with shipping. Shipping was great and fast. I was suprised and happy with the motor when i received it. It came with an automatic tranny, but i used the 5spd off my N/A motor instead. I was going to a 6sp swap but i didnt have the money at the time after i got the motor. I proceeded with the swap though and everything was a breeze. Used the 5spd A/C and PS. The Swap went smoothly in and out.

I used a US Harness instead of the JSPEC harness. I stayed with the JSPEC Injectors, JSPEC ECU, and JSPEC Igniter. I got a MAF sensor just in case i would run into problems with running the car. After i swapped the motor i was worried it wasn't going to run. I simply swapped the Injector clips off the JSPEC harness onto the US Harness. And of course the other connectors that wouldn't work. Such as oil pressure connector, and etc. The car started right up! I was very happy. I also stayed with the JDM turbos. The car is running like a champ though. Not until today i took off the MAF connector and the car runs without it. Even better! So it runs on the MAP sensor.

I will put up pictures later with the swap and everything. Ive alrady run the car numerous times against cars such as a Z06, Upgraded Talon TSi, Etc. Car is running great and im running upgraded parts of course.

Upgraded Parts list consists of:
HKS Type-R FMIC
HKS Pipe Fitment kit for stock turbos
HKS Turbo Timer
HKS EVC w/ Display
HKS DLI
HKS Racing Ti (100mm)
Speedforsale.com ETTC Switch
Takata Harness
Recaro EVO VIII Seats
Ebay Downpipe (custom fab to fit to stock JSPEC Turbos)
TRD Tach
Tial BOV

Ive been through the whole swap and everything, if anyone has any questions or comments regarding my swap and things ive done please dont hesitate to PM me.

I would like to thank the following people and shops for hookin it up!
Sherbaz (SF Forums Members)
Altered Atmosphere Motorsports (www.alteredatmosphere.com)
Dusty @ MVP
Titan Motorsports

Best Regards,
Ben Y

·
Registered
603 Posts
Awesome job Ben.. I was out of town but just got back last night. As I promised, youri gniter cover went out and you will be receiving it next week. Good luck and best of luck.. Thanks for the kind words..

Sherbaz

·
Banned
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
simonsays said:
how did u convert the JDM wiring harness to USDM harness?

I didnt, i used a US harness on a JSPEC ecu.

Ben Y

·
Banned
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW alot of people said this couldn't be done, and i got it done!
now we all know! PICS will be up soon!

Ben Y

·
Banned
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
***Pictures from the Swap***

Here are the pictures from the swap, Its such a releif that the car is running finally though, its great to have her back on the road. The swap didnt take me long, there was a good amount of time taken up waiting for small things i forgot, but of course this is going to happen unless you know for sure. Now i know! Definatley going to this more and more in the future it was a blast and i had a great time doing it! Took around 2-3 weeks im guessing cant really remember i stayed up for like 3-4 nights straight at some times working on small things, but i mainly worked weekends.

NOW FOR THE PICS!!

N/A motor ready to come out!

N/A motor out and on the ground resting....notice the leaky valve cover's....sooo thats where all my oil went...

Engine Bay Shot after the motor was out and some cleaning action was done!

Stand back and enjoy...maybe a cigarette break?

Stock Toyota 5-spd Flywheel installed

TT Motor Prepped clutch installed ready to be dropped in!

TT Motor in, lineing up motor mounts **BTW JSPEC Supra Motor Mounts fit perfect to US Chasis**

Another shot of the TT motor going in...

Intercooler pipping installed

HKS Type-R FMIC Installed

Intake installed and Fluidyne Radiator installed

Tial BOV Welded on to intake pipe

My J-spec Supra Motor when i first got it from Sherbaz!

Best Regards,
Ben Y

·
aKa Blk96SupraTT
3,866 Posts
Congrats man!!! :bigthumb: i know you feel like a proud new daddy. i also did this conversion over last summer when i picked up my supra. and the funny thing is i mounted my BOV in the exact location you did ( i had to mount it there because i got my IC used and the flange was already there.) but dont worry its gonna be loud as hell ( i like it loud ) verse the stock location.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Great pics, next step...let's get to the track & see some numbers :bigthumb:

·
looking for another Supra
1,890 Posts
hey great swap. im actually doing the same thing right now. what clutch did you get for your 5 spd. i got the max pressure plate w/6 puck disk rps.

when you swapped over from auto to stick did you buy the 6spd belt tensioner?

so you basically bought the jdm motor and bought a 6 spd harness and re used the jdm ingiter. but since you went with jdm motor did you use the efi resistor pack with the us harness?

great job.

·
Paint N' Parts Pirate...
130 Posts
Nice swap ben! Hope to see it at a meet around here so i can check it out.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Sins4u33 said:
Thats right...i finally finished!

He told me he had a JSPEC True Supra Motor. So i decided rather than worrying about swapping water pumps and etc. I just decided to go with that motor. It came with a auto tranny, ECU, Igniter, and Harness. Just like any other motor you see someone is selling, a compelete package ready for a swap basically. Of course like any other swap you need an oil pan etc etc etc.
It wasn't a TRUE Supra J-Spec engine if you had to replace the Oil Pans...Just FYI.

I've gone through the same swap. Congrats though, that's awesome you got everything working. Everything sounds perfect. I only really have one question.

Did you have to change alot of ECU Pinouts to make the US Harness connect to the J-spec ECU? If so, do you remember and keep record of what those were? It would be a HUGE Help to the supra community and anyone wanting to go forward with this type of project. Good job man!

Drew

·
Banned
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
begone said:
It wasn't a TRUE Supra J-Spec engine if you had to replace the Oil Pans...Just FYI.

I've gone through the same swap. Congrats though, that's awesome you got everything working. Everything sounds perfect. I only really have one question.

Did you have to change alot of ECU Pinouts to make the US Harness connect to the J-spec ECU? If so, do you remember and keep record of what those were? It would be a HUGE Help to the supra community and anyone wanting to go forward with this type of project. Good job man!

Drew
I mean the oil pan was damaged during shipping....dented in...smashed....oil pan was exactley the same i just wasn't going to take the risk of having a dented oil pan and throwing my oil pressure off. So it was a true supra motor.

But the harness was a US harness, the ecu is Jspec, the harness plugged perfectly up to the jspec ecu, i didnt have any problems...the only thing that doesn't work is the traction computer.

Ben Y

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Sins4u33 said:
I mean the oil pan was damaged during shipping....dented in...smashed....oil pan was exactley the same i just wasn't going to take the risk of having a dented oil pan and throwing my oil pressure off. So it was a true supra motor.

But the harness was a US harness, the ecu is Jspec, the harness plugged perfectly up to the jspec ecu, i didnt have any problems...the only thing that doesn't work is the traction computer.

Ben Y
Mine was damaged during shipping also, I too bought my motor from Sherbaz.... :scratch:

That's good to know about the US Harness and Jspec ECU!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Oil pan is easy fix.. Rubber hammer is the trick.. These motors are shipped from japan etc and then come to me etc etc.. I promise a good strong motor and he got that..

Sherbaz

·
ur moms favourite
1,405 Posts
I'd gladly accept a damaged sump on an imported engine, at least it means they sat it the right way up :) a sump is nothing in the scheme of things.

Great work, congrats on the swap Ben. So you're using the stock n/a w58 5speed? how does it feel behind a bpu engine?

Also Begone; are you running a bpu TT with the w58 also? how is your gearbox holding up?

Cheers

Gene

·
Banned
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah...seems like the shipping company or when they put the motor on the pallet they just dropped it...or it was dmged during shipping...or just all the weight from the top crushing that pan....but no biggie...i replaced it to be safe...

yeah tell me about it, my friend and i are going to try and do a SC300 i think...we're not sure, but man the swap was alot of fun, i enjoyed it alot.

Ben Y

·
Banned
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sherbaz said:
Oil pan is easy fix.. Rubber hammer is the trick.. These motors are shipped from japan etc and then come to me etc etc.. I promise a good strong motor and he got that..

Sherbaz

oh yeah! this thing is running like a champ! sherbaz promised me and what do you know its fine! messing around with corvette z06's on the highway is always a blast :p especially on stock twins :drool:

Ben Y

1 - 20 of 85 Posts