Supra Forums banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

· SupraForums Sponsor
1,461 Posts
Sins4u33 said:
Thanks Jeremy, btw the ETTC switch is amazing, i get some smoke at idle though now after the switch...any ideas? the switch is really nice though, thanks again man!
Glad you like it, thanks for the kind words!
Give me a shout and we'll discuss possible problems. The E-TTC switch isn't causing it, it just tricks the IACV and EGCV VSV's into opening early.
...sounds like your #2 turbo has some wear and oil is getting into either the intake side and being burned in the combustion chamber (pull an intercooler hose and check for any 'puddles' or excess oil) or oil is getting into the exhaust side and being burned immediately.

· Banned
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
begone said:
How are you turning up the boost? I didn't have a cat with my JDM and so I needed a restrictor plate so that I wouldn't over boost.

The 440's should be good to about 400hp. But I don't know if your Twins can handle that much boost. When I pulled my twins, they were tore up...very bad shape and looked like they were going to go out on me anytime. I was running around on 16-18 psi on those things though.
Well i have the HKS EVC w/ display i guess it would be the V? im not sure, but the EVC does not control the boost. I found some write ups on how people installed them. But im hitting upwards of like 117kpa-125kpa. These JDM twins are gunna be done soon if i keap this up. Im running around the same upwards of 16.8-17.8psi roughly. Im thinking of getting a cheap set of stock twins and swapping them, but i dont really want to do that....i kinda want to go with my big upgrade...but im not sure...money isn't coming off the trees at this moment....thanks for the help though, im glad ill be safe running that much boost on those injectors.

Ben Y

· Banned
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
TonyG said:
Great work Ben, where did you get that fender cover from ;)
hahaha, i love that thing, definatley came in handy, i mean i had to show it off in the pics :p thanks again Tony for the cover. Definatley saved some scratches and etc.

JeremyBlackwell said:
Glad you like it, thanks for the kind words!
Give me a shout and we'll discuss possible problems. The E-TTC switch isn't causing it, it just tricks the IACV and EGCV VSV's into opening early.
...sounds like your #2 turbo has some wear and oil is getting into either the intake side and being burned in the combustion chamber (pull an intercooler hose and check for any 'puddles' or excess oil) or oil is getting into the exhaust side and being burned immediately.
Yeah i beleive my #2 turbo is going. I think im getting the death wine....im not sure though i need to listen to the sound clip and verify from mkiv.com yeah im definatley going to pull my ic pipping tonight when i install the new TT PS resevoir since my "ghetto" rigged N/A resevoir is leaking like consitantly. Im almost positive these turbos are getting ready to take a crap on me though :rolleyes:

But the switch works great! Just wanted to clarify a few things though, When is the best time to turn it on and off? Because i remember reading you said not to turn it on at idle, ive tryed turning it on while boosting like 2-3 psi. Advice, recommendations, tips, hints? :p im just curious

Thanks,
Ben Y

· Registered
3,296 Posts
Sins4u33 said:
hahaha, i love that thing, definatley came in handy, i mean i had to show it off in the pics :p thanks again Tony for the cover. Definatley saved some scratches and etc.

Yeah i beleive my #2 turbo is going. I think im getting the death wine....im not sure though i need to listen to the sound clip and verify from mkiv.com yeah im definatley going to pull my ic pipping tonight when i install the new TT PS resevoir since my "ghetto" rigged N/A resevoir is leaking like consitantly. Im almost positive these turbos are getting ready to take a crap on me though :rolleyes:

But the switch works great! Just wanted to clarify a few things though, When is the best time to turn it on and off? Because i remember reading you said not to turn it on at idle, ive tryed turning it on while boosting like 2-3 psi. Advice, recommendations, tips, hints? :p im just curious

Thanks,
Ben Y
Once your Turbos go out. Seriously think about going single. I too went single cause of the twins. I'm single now with a TC61, Ebay Manifold Heat Coated...well here's the link:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356751

But I'm running on my Stock JDM Injectors. Perfect AFR's. I'm only running 13-15 psi. ANd I need to get another Boost Controller cause my HKS Manual one won't hold it exactly. But it's a inexpensive way to go single, and then worry about the fuel later. Alot of the JDM/Euro guys were impressed. Everyone thinks that when you go single you HAVE to upgrade your fuel...not true. You just can't be running crazy boost. But my setup now feels alot stronger than the JDM Twins on 18 psi, and it spools very fast. Later.

· Banned
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
begone said:
Once your Turbos go out. Seriously think about going single. I too went single cause of the twins. I'm single now with a TC61, Ebay Manifold Heat Coated...well here's the link:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356751

But I'm running on my Stock JDM Injectors. Perfect AFR's. I'm only running 13-15 psi. ANd I need to get another Boost Controller cause my HKS Manual one won't hold it exactly. But it's a inexpensive way to go single, and then worry about the fuel later. Alot of the JDM/Euro guys were impressed. Everyone thinks that when you go single you HAVE to upgrade your fuel...not true. You just can't be running crazy boost. But my setup now feels alot stronger than the JDM Twins on 18 psi, and it spools very fast. Later.
How much power are you pushing begone on those JDM injectors? I know they are 440cc injectors. But i dynoed today and my A/F curve was rediculous. I made 405whp and 368lb/ft of torque but my A/F was lean and then @ 5k rpms it went safe (richened up) all the way till redline. Are you also running the 5spd on this kit? I was hitting upwards of like 127kpa on the dyno today according to my HKS EVC. Which btw wont control these jdm turbos if its life depended on it :p i mean its fun, but after the dyno today im a bit afraid to even drive/push the car. I beleive the way they tune these cars out of the factory in japan they come very lean for those strict emmisions laws. I dont see how they could do this, it would definatley melt a piston especially if you were doing top gear, low rpm's (2.5k rpms) WOT runs. Im a bit afraid at the moment to do anything else. I may just save up now since these turbos are going. I dont want to spend money on another set of stock twins, id rather upgrade, and upgrade big. I have big plans for the single but u know how every shoots for the stars (or the best). It might just be wishfull thinking but ive got a good amount of work ahead of me. Thats great though about your car, kinda wish you lived closer so i could take a look at it. Was your motor an aristo? What are you using to control the tunning? or are you just running the stock jspec ecu. What afr's are you seeing?

supdawg79 said:
Would I need to use the MAF if I were do this same exact swap, but using a USDM 6-spd ECU instead of the JDM ECU?
If you were using a USDM 6spd ECU that means you will need a MAF sensor to run the car. Dont be fooled, the JDM ecu does not require the maf sensor to run, it also comes with a few other goodies like no egr. Only downside is that if you have a jspec ecu, you have those damn ceramic coated wheels and they overboost and spool like crazy. Its fun, until they start to smoke...its rather embarissing...but if you have any other questions let me know!

Best Regards,
Ben Y

· Registered
6,358 Posts
This is such a beautiful swap sometime i'll do the same in the future, but I got one question. If I get an aristo gte.. why swap the hydralic pump to water pump? Is it really necessary to switch them?

· Banned
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
there was a thread about this, lemme see if i can find it, but people were talking about keaping it on, and some of the disadvantage of it, such as it going out quicker or something along those lines. I dont have much experience with the aristo motor at the moment, but i do plan to get one one day and build it up and do alittle more R&D on it per say. check around the forums there was a thread not too long ago about this.

Ben Y

hope this helps

· Banned
3,493 Posts
Sins4u33 said:
i have not changed the connector on the 6spd harness to the 5spd connector i didnt want to fuck with it since i was going to be going with a 6spd in a few months. I dont drive the car on a daily basis, its mainly my "weekend warrior" at the moment. Dont want to rack the miles up. But the reverse lights do not come on at the moment...

Ben Y
Great thread! im doin the same swap.

did you say the 6spd harness doesnt connect to the 5spd tranny connector??? have you found a way to get the reverse lights to come on?

when upgrading your na fuel pump to a tt fuel pump did you also replace the fuel hanger???

· Banned
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
i haven't swapped the connectors, thats all you have to do to fix it, but i never got around to it, i figure since im going to swap the 6spd why cut the connector....

i did not replace the fuel hanger, i just swapped the fuel pump in and wired it up to a 12v source.

Ben Y

41 - 60 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.