Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I bought some modified twins already pre-assembled with an exhuast manifold and everything, which is also pre-assembled... and I need an Exhuast manifold gasket for them obviously before I put it all back on...

I called Toyota just now and he was a little confused because he saw two of them, a front and a rear... one was $29, and the other was $40 ... the seller of the turbos told me I needed one and it was $40, Im sure he knows what he is talking about, but I wanted to double check to make sure exactly which one I need... or if I possibly need BOTH?

I need the one that goes between the head and the Exhuast manifold... and this guy in the parts department didnt seem to be able to give me a 100% sure answer if I needed both or not, which sucks..

So if anyone could answer me that real quick Id appreciate it, if I dont get an answer somewhat soon I might just order both... which I dont want to do, but I do need them by next week thursday/Friday.. assuming I have the Twins by then, and Toyota sometimes takes a while to get parts in.

Thanks a lot... I appreciate it.. I wanna get my dawg back on the road!

J

·
0 Posts
if your replacing the whole turbo setup, then im pretty sure your going to need the whole turbo gasket set.

this is what i bought

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea..I may just get the whole thing, although........ the turbos are already assembled to the exhuast manifold... thats why Im not 100% sure.

·
SF.com Member #0000000023
1,219 Posts
If you're replacing your blown stock turbos, forget about the new seals. Your old seals ARE reusable. I've done this before and there are only 4 gaskets which have to be replaced. I'm not sure if these might be included with your new turbos, but considering the super low price, I say just get them. I believe they are called the "water bypass gaskets". They are the ONLY coolant gaskets which connect to the turbo. You will need 2 per turbo for a total of 4. All 4 gaskets will cost your about $5.

-Mike

pooshda said:
Ok I bought some modified twins already pre-assembled with an exhuast manifold and everything, which is also pre-assembled... and I need an Exhuast manifold gasket for them obviously before I put it all back on...

I called Toyota just now and he was a little confused because he saw two of them, a front and a rear... one was $29, and the other was $40 ... the seller of the turbos told me I needed one and it was $40, Im sure he knows what he is talking about, but I wanted to double check to make sure exactly which one I need... or if I possibly need BOTH?

I need the one that goes between the head and the Exhuast manifold... and this guy in the parts department didnt seem to be able to give me a 100% sure answer if I needed both or not, which sucks..

So if anyone could answer me that real quick Id appreciate it, if I dont get an answer somewhat soon I might just order both... which I dont want to do, but I do need them by next week thursday/Friday.. assuming I have the Twins by then, and Toyota sometimes takes a while to get parts in.

Thanks a lot... I appreciate it.. I wanna get my dawg back on the road!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
V8this... the turbos are COMPLETELY ASSEMBLED... the whole assembly is already put together for me, the exhuast manifold is even attached to the turbos.. I dont need any of those as far as I know, because everything is all put together.. Im not getting a bunch of seperate parts, Im getting a full assembled set of ported and polished twins....

Dont those parts you are talking about all go into the turbo assembly? well if its already put together then I dont need to worry about them... I would imagine... just the exhuast manifold gasket... Toyota told me I needed a new one, and so did the seller... I just wanna know which one heh... front or rear, or both.

I think the confusing part is, that the twins I bought are coming with an exhuast manifold, and I believe most of the time people dont sell those with the twins, this exhuast manifold has a hole for the EGT probe tapped already.. thats why I get the manifold too... all assembled into one big piece.

·
SF.com Member #0000000023
1,219 Posts
Not entirely correct. The gaskets I'm referring to connect the turbo assembly to the cooling system. I highly HIGHLY doubt the coolant hardlines are included.

-Mike

Dont those parts you are talking about all go into the turbo assembly? well if its already put together then I dont need to worry about them... I would imagine... just the exhuast manifold gasket... Toyota told me I needed a new one, and so did the seller... I just wanna know which one heh... front or rear, or both.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ah... ok I see what your saying... Ill go monday and order all of the gaskets, thanks for the info.. I thought you were talking about gaskets that would have already been assembled into the assembly.. I got ya now though :)

Im just making sure I have everything I need.. I dont think Ill be putting the turbos in or taking them out, simply because I have never done ANYTHING with a Turbo before... so I dont really know if I could do it... I have looked over the service manual on MKIV.com but I still fear I would run into a complication since I have never done anything of the sort... Ill probably send it off to my friends shop.. he quoted me $350 and some change to remove and install the new ones.. sounds like a fair price I would think.

M

·
0 Posts
Don't order all the gaskets, you most likely won't need more than 5-6 of them, so why spend $100+? Wait for the kit, and determine what you need once your stockers are uninstalled.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts