Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
'85 SDR 7MGTE 5sp
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

(that is a photo shop, with rear fender removed...1st mod to do -if possible- when bike arrives)

Well, it hits dealers next month. I ride 80%+ inner city. I like a loud bike that sounds clean, and the air cooled Desmo lump with pipes sounds sick. I like to ride 2 up, and my girl refuses to sit on the back of a sport bike. Unlike the superbikes and 1k monsters, this one has a wet clutch. Much more pleasant in center city stop and go.

I cant wait to ride a demo :) Sorry sport bikers, I know you will probably hate this one...but Im pumped :)

·
'85 SDR 7MGTE 5sp
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
70s, actually. Its inspired by this old thing

·
Registered
81 Posts
i love those things. I'm looking for something that my girl will be more comfortable on as well. but my credit limits me to paying cash :(

·
'85 SDR 7MGTE 5sp
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had, and loved my monster, but I wanted something different. Plus, while the dry clutch was really cool, it was not ideal for low speed riding in center city. The Ducati gods answered my prayers by putting a wet clutch on the air cooled 1000.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
^i always wondered what that was in your sig... finally got it thanks to that pic. :)

·
'85 SDR 7MGTE 5sp
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea, vented clutch cover. Lets everyone really hear the thing clank away. Its a love it or hate it deal...in my experience non Ducati people generally hated it. It didnt bother me much, so I left it open. At idle in neutral, it was louder than the exhaust hehe. The superbikes arent as bad due to the fairing muffling some of the noise.

·
Registered
81 Posts
dear god i love your monster.... its still #1 on my list of bikes i want.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
my buddy has it, i love it. he also has the 999 or something in yellow

·
'85 SDR 7MGTE 5sp
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
stoop: Thanks, that was cool bike. I heard a rumor that they will be going with wet clutch on the 07 Monster 1000. We will see!

7: your buddy probably has the Sport, the GT isnt out yet. That Sport is sick, but it require an extremely dedicated riding position that Im not looking for ;)

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Malloy said:
stoop: Thanks, that was cool bike. I heard a rumor that they will be going with wet clutch on the 07 Monster 1000. We will see!

7: your buddy probably has the Sport, the GT isnt out yet. That Sport is sick, but it require an extremely dedicated riding position that Im not looking for ;)

Yeah, you are probably right. I do not know too much about motorcycles nor do I know how to ride them, but I just enjoy them in general. I have a lot of buddy’s who have them, mostly Japanese bikes, but two of my good friends own each a bike that stands out most to me over my other friends bike and one is called an Agusta, which I never see on the road other then his, and that 999 yellow Ducati.

Does the GT1000 you are looking to purchase mean that it is 1000cc? If so, that thing must be very fast!

·
'85 SDR 7MGTE 5sp
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its a 1000, but the bike is slow compared to Japanese SS 1000cc bikes. Its plenty fast for me, low 11sec 1/4 miles, but compared to a Jap 1000 its not even close. (when talking 1/4 mile or top speed)

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
Malloy said:
Plus, while the dry clutch was really cool, it was not ideal for low speed riding in center city.
Did you ever change out the stock slave cylinder? That's 90% of the problem with a dry clutch in city traffic. I've got a yoyodyne unit on mine, and it's perfectly happy clanking away in Manhattan traffic.

When I'm not white lining, anyway. :D

·
'85 SDR 7MGTE 5sp
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The weight/pull didnt bother me. It was just the way it engaged that I didnt like. Not so smooth, no matter how hard I tried.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts