Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Name a good toyota car that's good on gas and cheap on insurance. Does anybody know the smog year cut off? I thought it was 1978 or so.... not sure though.

I was thinking about buying a toyota starlet, but I can't seem to find one in the condition that I want. I also don't see many of them for sale either.

The older corollas 1970's to 1980's can be found pretty cheap, but I would rather get the celica from that time period (rare though). The coronas are cool, but they kinda lack the sporty styling that I like.

The Tercels are okay, but they remind me of Geo Metros...

What other cars are there?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
this one

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
pre-1978 Celica = the hotness, seriously, they are so nice looking it's unbelievable. Toyota borked up on the 78+.

or, there's always the 85-87 Corolla GT-S. ;).

I do like the 70-74 Corolla coupes as well, they're so small and sweet.

·
eighty-7t on SM
444 Posts
Jeff Lange said:
pre-1978 Celica = the hotness, seriously, they are so nice looking it's unbelievable. Toyota borked up on the 78+.

or, there's always the 85-87 Corolla GT-S. ;).

I do like the 70-74 Corolla coupes as well, they're so small and sweet.

WHOA!!! i've never seen a car like this one. looks bad ass! are they still around for sale???

·
My fuel pump precedes me
346 Posts
Yup, I'd love to have a '71-77 celca. A guy here in Austin sold one a few weeks ago for $400 in pretty good shape, but I've seen them all the way up to $5k in perfect condition.

If you pick up a '75+ there's enough room in the engine bay for a 7m, bolts in too! This is one of the nicest I've seen, has a SR20det swapped into it:

for all you 1j guys:

check out www.classic-celica.com

·
I don't want an MK4!
1,727 Posts
Jeff,

You're killing me with the old Celica pictures. I loved those cars. I agree, what they did to it in 79 was not right.

Pre 79 or post 81 is the way to fly (until 96 when it went FWD).

Dan

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
90Legend said:
Jeff,

You're killing me with the old Celica pictures. I loved those cars. I agree, what they did to it in 79 was not right.

Pre 79 or post 81 is the way to fly (until 96 when it went FWD).

Dan
Pre-78 you mean, and 86 when they went FWD.

:p

I love those cars too, my dad had like 4 of them.

·
Search
3,303 Posts
man those pictures are sexy! I'd love to find one of those, the lines are awesome.

a MK2 is a great car, I had one for a while.... regret selling it :-\

·
Hair Club Member
1,004 Posts
Here is my '73 celica that I drove for ten years. Loved this car! My engine was all blinged out. Factory A/C .... may it rest in peace. Great car .

CWD
Boise

·
I don't want an MK4!
1,727 Posts
ma71supraturbo said:
funny, when the 79 celica came out, it won import car of the year and tons of awards for its "european" styling.

I think Jeff's right about that body coming in 78, since then most companys restyled every 4 years.

I know for sure the new Celica body (after that one) came in 82.

I think the Supra came out first in 79.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts