Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm going to be moving this summer to Georgia Cobb County area. After I sell my house here I want to get a few things done to my Supra. Mainly paint, new short block and single turbo. I'm thinking of dropping the car off at this great shop in Orlando called Innovative. The owner Larry does excellent work and has great prices. I wanted to see what options I might have in GA to get this work done. I've got a few questions to ask you guy/gals. :) Thanks!

1) What reputable tuner shops are around Cobb County?
2) What quality( good prices too :) ) paint shops are around Cobb County?
3) What the closest drag strip to Cobb County?
4) What are the racing laws in GA? Not that I race! :\ In Miami they arrest you :(
5) How often do you local Supra owners hang out?
6) Is there a local emissions that I can pay a little extra so that I can pass? :)
 

·
Has a slow car
Joined
·
1,321 Posts
For your Turbo needs
www.turbodave.com
www.batlground.com

Not sure about paint shops around Cobb!

Commerce drag strip..1/4
Dallas drag strip...1/8

laws are pretty much the same, maybe worse in Cobb!

Well once you get around up here, you will find out about Barrett. You will see 4 or 5 supras out and about, just stop an say hey to one of them!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whats the driving distance to Commerce drag strip or Dallas drag strip? Here in Miami we have to drive 2 hours to get to the nearest strip. :doh:
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
4,109 Posts
2.5 to reynolds, 1.5 to commerce:(. Dallas is a bit nearer, but not much and only 1/8th mile

As for meets, it seems impossible to get more than 4-5 Supras out at any given time these days:(

AAP is not in Cobb County, but they also do excellent work:)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
54 Posts
come check us (AAP) out when you move here. we are not in cobb county but we have people drop there cars off to us from all over the country. :)

there are other goods shops in the atlanta area just have to stop by and see which shop you feel more comfortable with.
 

·
9's Club
Joined
·
5,340 Posts
...

Talk about shop pride in your sig's :) hehehe.

Tracy, I've also consider moving to cobb, (Turbozilla keeps twisting my arm to convince me lol) hopefully he gets there soon so i can go spend a weekend over, and we can go by the shops,. From your site it looks like you have a nice setup. Keep up the nice work, both AAP and Batleground cars look amazing.

Mario Deniz
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
747 Posts
MDeniz DSMluva said:
Talk about shop pride in your sig's :) hehehe.

Tracy, I've also consider moving to cobb, (Turbozilla keeps twisting my arm to convince me lol) hopefully he gets there soon so i can go spend a weekend over, and we can go by the shops,. From your site it looks like you have a nice setup. Keep up the nice work, both AAP and Batleground cars look amazing.

Mario Deniz

Cool. I wish you luck with your move and hope to see you soon ;)

Why do you want to move. BTW? If I didn't have a B/F and this shop..I'd be back at the beach tomorrow.
 

·
9's Club
Joined
·
5,340 Posts
...

Tracy, here is just a few of the reasons I can tell you of the top of my head, even though I could go hours and hours explaining why.

Number one reason, is the cost of living down here is thru the roof an average size house anywhere in Miami or Broward county ranges for a 3bedroom about 350-400k easy, with about 5-10 years of use or more.

Propiety taxes in most areas are beteween 1.6-2% of the value of your house, meaning most people are paying over 4k of propiety taxes a year (my dad just paid $12k in a 4bedroom).

The school system is one of the poorest in the country, you see you pay this high taxes, yet people like Chris (Turbozilla) pay about $500 a month to be able to rest in peace that his daugther is getting a decent education. (another $6k down the drain)

My daily commute is 45min, to be able to do what I love (I've been working at Dynamic Turbo down here for close to 4 years now). But unfortuanlly most people dont know how to drive down here, i got rear ended (not too bad at all, just a scrape) and the driver of the other vehicle didint have insurance. SO i had to pay in my own, this is not strange happening down here,. Those 45min for me each way are 45min of been pissed off and defensive of everything that moves arround me.

If you go to a restaurant, you have a 50-50 chance of getting decent service, most people give you sh!t treatment, because I guess they assume that the customer is at fault because they dont have the greatest job, or whatever personal problem they might have or feel like taking out on the customers that day.

In miami dade county, if you dont speak spanish you are most likely not going to be able to get service in lots of places (nor do people make the effort to try and learn english), I speak fluent spanish, but my point is i dont know if i want my kids to grow up in a society where people take more pride in the country they are from (regardless of the fact they all leave it because they know its not a good place to be in for whatever political, social, economial situation it might be in) than the country they live, eat, etc in.

Basiclly Tracy, if you dont make damn good money down here ($80k+ per house hold) , you can't live near as good as you would else where, I like to consider my self a person who looks at reality and makes changes in order to better my self, if after i visit over there, I think its a better desicion for me and whom ever is with me to live over there, it will be done that way.

If you make $50k in miami you can live the same way in GA making $28k. That alone should make anyone consider the choice. (let a lone better schools, jobs, les sunemployment rate, etc)

THats just a smalll summary, feel free to PM if you want to see the sites and literature where i get all my information from ;)

Mario DEniz
Dynamic Turbo
954-689-7754
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
747 Posts
MDeniz DSMluva said:
Tracy, here is just a few of the reasons I can tell you of the top of my head, even though I could go hours and hours explaining why.

Number one reason, is the cost of living down here is thru the roof an average size house anywhere in Miami or Broward county ranges for a 3bedroom about 350-400k easy, with about 5-10 years of use or more.

Propiety taxes in most areas are beteween 1.6-2% of the value of your house, meaning most people are paying over 4k of propiety taxes a year (my dad just paid $12k in a 4bedroom).

The school system is one of the poorest in the country, you see you pay this high taxes, yet people like Chris (Turbozilla) pay about $500 a month to be able to rest in peace that his daugther is getting a decent education. (another $6k down the drain)

My daily commute is 45min, to be able to do what I love (I've been working at Dynamic Turbo down here for close to 4 years now). But unfortuanlly most people dont know how to drive down here, i got rear ended (not too bad at all, just a scrape) and the driver of the other vehicle didint have insurance. SO i had to pay in my own, this is not strange happening down here,. Those 45min for me each way are 45min of been pissed off and defensive of everything that moves arround me.

If you go to a restaurant, you have a 50-50 chance of getting decent service, most people give you sh!t treatment, because I guess they assume that the customer is at fault because they dont have the greatest job, or whatever personal problem they might have or feel like taking out on the customers that day.

In miami dade county, if you dont speak spanish you are most likely not going to be able to get service in lots of places (nor do people make the effort to try and learn english), I speak fluent spanish, but my point is i dont know if i want my kids to grow up in a society where people take more pride in the country they are from (regardless of the fact they all leave it because they know its not a good place to be in for whatever political, social, economial situation it might be in) than the country they live, eat, etc in.

Basiclly Tracy, if you dont make damn good money down here ($80k+ per house hold) , you can't live near as good as you would else where, I like to consider my self a person who looks at reality and makes changes in order to better my self, if after i visit over there, I think its a better desicion for me and whom ever is with me to live over there, it will be done that way.

If you make $50k in miami you can live the same way in GA making $28k. That alone should make anyone consider the choice. (let a lone better schools, jobs, les sunemployment rate, etc)

THats just a smalll summary, feel free to PM if you want to see the sites and literature where i get all my information from ;)

Mario DEniz
Dynamic Turbo
954-689-7754
Well sounds like your ready to come to the ATL. I know you will miss the beach...but Atlanta is really cool. Have you visited at all yet?
 

·
MkIV Pilot
Joined
·
580 Posts
Turbozilla said:
Hi,
I'm going to be moving this summer to Georgia Cobb County area. After I sell my house here I want to get a few things done to my Supra. Mainly paint, new short block and single turbo. I'm thinking of dropping the car off at this great shop in Orlando called Innovative. The owner Larry does excellent work and has great prices. I wanted to see what options I might have in GA to get this work done. I've got a few questions to ask you guy/gals. :) Thanks!

1) What reputable tuner shops are around Cobb County?
2) What quality( good prices too :) ) paint shops are around Cobb County?
3) What the closest drag strip to Cobb County?
4) What are the racing laws in GA? Not that I race! :\ In Miami they arrest you :(
5) How often do you local Supra owners hang out?
6) Is there a local emissions that I can pay a little extra so that I can pass? :)

1) http://www.Batlground.com
2) There are enough - I recommend Kong's Body Shop (20 mins from cobb)
3) Commerce, but i havent heard good things about it.... There are other drag strips in GA though.
4) If you get caught they might confiscate your vehichle. If you are exceeding the speed limit by 30+, they take you to jail - (150 dollars through bonding company to get out. Dont ask me how i know this)
5) We need to get more organized. Sometimes a few of us meet up and go for a drive and food.
6) Nobody in GA breaks ANY laws :rolleyes:


Atlanta is pretty fun overall. There is a lot to do and see. I moved here from Corpus Christi, TX and I MISS THE BEACH LIKE HELL. Other than that its cool. Cant wait to meet ya!!!! The weather is kinda funny too.....

-Mark
 

·
9's Club
Joined
·
5,340 Posts
...

Tracy said:
Well sounds like your ready to come to the ATL. I know you will miss the beach...but Atlanta is really cool. Have you visited at all yet?
Not really, I have driving thru, never actually stopped...The Beach is over rated, I go 3-4 times a year anywho, I can still do that in ATL, hop in a plane be here in an hour and 30 min lol, that less time than it takes to find parking in south beach on a sunday lollllllllll

Mario DEniz
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
747 Posts
MDeniz DSMluva said:
Not really, I have driving thru, never actually stopped...The Beach is over rated, I go 3-4 times a year anywho, I can still do that in ATL, hop in a plane be here in an hour and 30 min lol, that less time than it takes to find parking in south beach on a sunday lollllllllll

Mario DEniz

I went to the beach every day of my life til I turned 18 (except the day Hurricane Andrew hit of course ;)) Miami has defiantely changed a lot since I lived there. Last time I visited, I was so disappointed. Most of my friends were dead from gang fights and the ones that were alive were fighting over money and drugs. Really turned me off. It's wierd because when I lived there, I didn't think to much about having metak detectors in middle school and not being able to wear Raiders because f the gang affiliation. Once I moved, I was like...HOLY COW!!! Shit's crazy in MIA! I would like to live in Boca or LIghthouse Point if I went back. Seems a little more laid back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Has anyone tried the track at Steele, Alabama? I went once and it was by far the best track I've been to yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
I've heard a lot of good things about Steele.

It is supposed to be as far from Cobb as about Reynolds.


Also, definately check out www.batlground.com .

They have a great shop and definately do the best work in Georgia, so you will be lucky to have them near by.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top