Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im debating between the Tein Comfort Sport vs. Megan. The only thing that is pushing me more towards the Teins are the spring rate. I remember reading the thread about the Megan coilover review and it sounds like the product gets a positive feedback.

Anyhow here are the specs for the coilovers
Tein: http://autosportstyle.com/shop/toyota-19931998-supra-incl-turbo-tein-coilovers-gst60k1ss3-tein-comfort-sport-dampers-p-48733.html

Megan:
http://www.speedforsale.com/newparts/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=111
(it looks like a custom spring rate can be ordered now?)

What do you guys think? I stress about daily driving quality.

·
Super Moderator
10,381 Posts
If you're stressing about daily driving ride quality, stick with a good proven spring/shock combo like KYB's and Eibachs.

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
If you're stressing about daily driving ride quality, stick with a good proven spring/shock combo like KYB's and Eibachs.
That's why I suggested the Bilsteins. They are the OEM for the TRD suspension, which is one of the best for improved ride + good daily driveability.

I'm not a fan of the Eibach ProKit.

·
Banned
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
will add .02 since my recent coilover search also focused on being careful to not get too stiff/harsh of a ride, but I wanted a good 1" drop for looks.

I ruled-out the Tein comfort sports because they drop so little, why not just stay stock.

When I searched all the posts about Tein SS a few months ago, I noticed that some of the people with aftermarket Tein pillow mounts complained of rattly or harsh rides, sometimes requiring near the softest setting to try to compensate. No one with stock pillow mounts had these complaints, and were very happy with ride quality at middle-damping settings.

So I'm putting on the Tein SS this week, stock pillows, damping and height adjustable, $800 (or maybe it was $900).

·
Registered
922 Posts
I'm curious why adjustable rebound damping would be consider inferior? Isn't that a superior product design over compression/rebound products. That would make it similar to a Koni Sport. Shouldn't the spring be controlling the compression rate, wouldn't it basically be a hack to try and control compression rate with the shock instead of moving up to a stiffer spring?

·
Banned
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm curious why adjustable rebound damping would be consider inferior? Isn't that a superior product design over compression/rebound products. That would make it similar to a Koni Sport. Shouldn't the spring be controlling the compression rate, wouldn't it basically be a hack to try and control compression rate with the shock instead of moving up to a stiffer spring?
Im curious as well. The difference between just rebound vs compression/rebound dampening. Any experience or knowledge?

·
Banned
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
will add .02 since my recent coilover search also focused on being careful to not get too stiff/harsh of a ride, but I wanted a good 1" drop for looks.

I ruled-out the Tein comfort sports because they drop so little, why not just stay stock.

When I searched all the posts about Tein SS a few months ago, I noticed that some of the people with aftermarket Tein pillow mounts complained of rattly or harsh rides, sometimes requiring near the softest setting to try to compensate. No one with stock pillow mounts had these complaints, and were very happy with ride quality at middle-damping settings.

So I'm putting on the Tein SS this week, stock pillows, damping and height adjustable, $800 (or maybe it was $900).

Whats the differences between Ride Height and Ride Hieght Adjustment?

Ride Height
Front inch (mm): -0.6 (-14) -------> drops -0.6"?
Rear inch (mm): -0.2 (-6)

Ride Height Adjust Range
Front Max/Min inch (mm) : 0.9/-1.8 (23/-46) -----> or drops -1.8" ?
Rear Max/Min inch (mm): 0.9/-1.2 (22/-31)

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
The entire purpose of the damper is to control oscillation of the suspension component. The spring is only one component of that.

It's great to be able to control rebound damping, but you also need to control compression damping if you want to tune the car's suspension. Different track conditions call for adjusting compression damping as well.

Shocks such as Konis and Bilsteins offer adjustment of compression and rebound damping. Being able to only affect one assumes that the other is setup properly and doesn't need adjustment.

If that is the case why not just get some sealed shocks without adjustment?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Whats the differences between Ride Height and Ride Hieght Adjustment?

Ride Height
Front inch (mm): -0.6 (-14) -------> drops -0.6"?
Rear inch (mm): -0.2 (-6)

Ride Height Adjust Range
Front Max/Min inch (mm) : 0.9/-1.8 (23/-46) -----> or drops -1.8" ?
Rear Max/Min inch (mm): 0.9/-1.2 (22/-31)

The ride height of -0.6" means that is how much the comfort sport will drop the front relative to the stock suspension (relative ride ht "0"), set in the middle of its adjustment range as Tein recommends it be used for this application.

The adjustment range tells you that if you max-out the adjustability of this coilover, that you could raise the car as much as 0.9" higher than stock, or lower it to at most 1.2" lower than stock.

I picked the SS because the amount of drop I desire, say around 1.3" - 1.5 ", is right in the middle of the SS's adjustability range, and right as Tein advises it be set-up.

·
Banned
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So which one should I buy? The Megans spring rate can be customized to similar spring rate like the Teins.

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
So which one should I buy? The Megans spring rate can be customized to similar spring rate like the Teins.
between the two my recommendation is to purchase the Teins per the discussion above. They're a known quantity as well.

·
Registered
922 Posts
The entire purpose of the damper is to control oscillation of the suspension component. The spring is only one component of that.

It's great to be able to control rebound damping, but you also need to control compression damping if you want to tune the car's suspension. Different track conditions call for adjusting compression damping as well.

Shocks such as Konis and Bilsteins offer adjustment of compression and rebound damping. Being able to only affect one assumes that the other is setup properly and doesn't need adjustment.

If that is the case why not just get some sealed shocks without adjustment?
Koni sports are only rebound adjustable. That's the most common model. Even their road race shocks are either rebound adjustable only or dual adjustable independent of each other.

Rebound be the adjustment that controls oscillation and not compression and rebound together. It seems to me that adjusting them together would be inferior since the compression is modeled on the spring rate and probably the weight of the car by the manufacturer of the shock. The rebound adjustment would control how quickly you want the car to correct itself.

In my opinion they tie the two together because they are building generic and simply choose not to model for the car. Tied together adjustments allow them to ship shocks not correctly valved for the spring rate.

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
Koni sports are only rebound adjustable. That's the most common model. Even their road race shocks are either rebound adjustable only or dual adjustable independent of each other.
Cool -- can you link me to the Koni site where that information is contained? I couldn't find it when I was looking. The Koni setups I've heard of have adjustments for both compression and rebound damping.

Rebound be the adjustment that controls oscillation and not compression and rebound together.
How do you figure that? Altering the rate that the shock compresses will dictate the rate and distance of travel for a given compression. Rebound damping has the same effect in the opposite direction.

It seems to me that adjusting them together would be inferior since the compression is modeled on the spring rate and probably the weight of the car by the manufacturer of the shock. The rebound adjustment would control how quickly you want the car to correct itself.
The compression damping controls how stiff the car is over changes in surface. This is important when dealing with different track surfaces just as rebound damping is. With too much compression damping the car will want to lose traction as the tire will unweight. With too little the car will lose traction as the wheel moves too much. The purpose of adjustable compression damping is to be able to tune for this... to get it into the sweet spot.

In my opinion they tie the two together because they are building generic and simply choose not to model for the car. Tied together adjustments allow them to ship shocks not correctly valved for the spring rate.
It's not just about modeling the car -- it's about adjusting for conditions and surfaces that exceed the envelope that has been designed for. Adjustment in the damping allows for the owner to setup the suspension to take into account changes.

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
I think a lot of supra guys run springs that are too soft and compensate by running huge sway bars and cranking up the damping.
Not in the road racing forum. Maybe on the street, but I really don't have a way to accurately characterize "most" Supra owners... I know you're speaking based on your impressions of the folks you've seen.

If you want a pliant, yet flat-cornering ride running less spring and more sway bar is a good avenue... or getting non-shitty dampers to go with stiffer springs. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts