Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well just a few days ago im posting on here asking you guys about a 2jz-ge swap in to a MKIII and here it is I just purchased one today!
its a 88 turbo targa 5spd.. got it off ebay take a look at it and tell me what you guys think..... did I pay a good price for the condition?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=270112795879&rd=1,1

My brother in law live in Atlanta so I had him go take a look said the car is straight as can be and only the obvious is wrong with it... The interior (front 2 seats) need to be re done... or racing seats whatever I have a while before I get to that point..

so....let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
damn that was a steal...

·
Dagger OCHO
790 Posts
you got her for a really good price. but why put in a 2jz-ge. IMO, it would be a downgrade. i don't know how much mechanical experience you have, but keep the 7M for a while. you will learn a lot from it. that's where all my mechanical experience came from. the 7M's not a bad motor at all. it can put a huge grin on your face. i know this from when the vacuum line popped off from the wastegate and i hit 20 psi. that car launched like a rocket, front end felt like it lifted off the ground, then the intercooler pipe blew off.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My '88 NA has ticks on the temp gauge, no cruise LED on the tach, and tenths on the odometer. There may be other differences - that was just from memory. There were some mid-series changes that happened around 1988. What was the production date of this car? Mine was August '87 (model year '88).

Asterix

edit: the tach and fuel gauges also have more ticks on my '88; that's definitely a newer cluster

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
i still dont get it! is it the mph? and what newer car are you talking about

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im not sure of the build date. Im going to pick it up tomorrow..

If the cluster is new that might explain why some of the gauges don't work. I'll run a carfax on it to see what they say the last recorded miles for the car are.

As far as mechanics im pretty good. I've been building mustangs for about 15 years now.. I have built one import in my life time lol... it was a 02 WRX I purchased one when they first came out.. That thing was a monster then a buddy made me a offer I couldent refuse :)

So as far as general engine building yeah im capable but i need to learn a boat load more about these engines... and you are correct on the 7m-gte being a good engine a buddy has had one for a while. and he has some minor bolt on's and its stout but fun to drive.. so I plan on using the 7m till it dies and at the same time work on tohe 2jz-ge I really dont think going 2jz would be a downgrade from what everyone says.

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
you got really lucky as that front and rear bumper and the rims are probibly pretty expensive. Kaminari stuff is hard to find, especially from a pre89 stant point.

also looks like he swapped out the turn signals and some of the front trim to 89+. that guage cluster is from an 89+ car unless maybe it was the absolute last car off the assembly line. looks like the PO was trying to convert the car to an 89+ look over all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
looks great and fucking steal only 1,800 when the blue book is at 3 for a n/a and 3,5 for a turbo to do a 2jz swap in the mkiii you would have to weld new motor mounts, if your keeping the OEM trany youll need a 1jz bell housing and that will mount the 2jz to your tany, if you gonna swap the trany out to i suggest the 1jz's tranny from 93 it is reportedly the strongest toyota made other than that im not sure what you would have to do... if i remember anything elese ill let you know but its been a while since i talked the guy that did a swap that your talking about doing

·
Registered
184 Posts
the wheels gotta go....but other than that looks like a great buy....congrats.....

and the cluster looks like the one thats in my 90

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got off the phone with the owner a little while ago and asked him about the cluster. he said it was changed out a few years ago to the newer one. some kind of issue with the old one.. he found a newer one with almost the same miles something like 3 or 4k more than the car really has.

Well it really looks like everyone here is mixed on the 7m-gte vs the 2jz-ge..just to let everyone know I already have a 2jz sitting in my garage from my Lex so I dont have to dish out any cash to buy one... I do plan on using the r154 tranny for now.. but since im buying a 1jz bellhousing and flywheel I can always swap out to the 1jz tranny in the future....

My goals are not HUGE.. I plan on 550-600 Wheel HP...so I guess my question is.. which engine will make that power more EASILY? I was planning on opening the 2jz and installing the lower compression pistons I saw, along with cams/gears, machine the head and new valves/springs upgrade the fuel system.. and as far as turbo stands....I have no idea... with the mods im (planning) on doing if I can get more than 600hp fine... I figure with the lower compression pistons and HG I should be able to boost it pretty good.. are the blocks the same...as far as strength?

Keep the comments coming....and thanks for the input so far

·
wasting my life on SF
1,808 Posts
i would have bought it for that price! welcome to supraforums, have fun and be safe!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts