Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carchitect and I spent the afternoon at the O'Reilly Fall Nationals in Ennis, Tx. NHRA invited some of the import teams to come race between the pro categories as an exhibition and for some prize money.

Unfortunately, the first couple of FWD cars fell flat on their face, and it really looked bad to a crowd that's not familiar with the import scene. However Bullish, AEM, and Paisley racing were there in force and made good showings.

The AEM team made a pass in the 6.70s, and Bullish made at least one pass in the 6.80s. Carchitect and I snooped around and asked some q's of the teams. In spite of all the ignition discussions going around, it was interesting to see the Bullish and Paisley teams running TT coil packs and the Motech CDI box on methanol and 35+ lbs of boost. That's right...good 'ole coil packs. Craig Paisley even said that the coil packs in their race car came out of his Supra, used.

We also talked Ara of Bullish about their clutch setups. I believe they're running a Tilton.

It was just a fun afternoon of gearhead stuff. :D

-scott

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
Nice... I was thinking about going up there... Did the import guys race agaisnt the pros in any classes? OR jsut exhibition?

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
The event turned out pretty good considering the IRL race @ Texas Motor Speedway and the TX/OU at the Cotton bowl was the same weekend.

Weather was great. Around 75 and cloudy but the sky never came down on us.

The Top Fuel and Funny cars were running extremely consistent. I'd say only around 20-40 thousands of a sec away from each other.

I was thrilled to see some of the imports out there. The Twins were out there running with the AEM pro Civic and Craig Paisley's truck. Craig, Ara and Geroge took some of their time to talk to us. Craig had torn up a few gears in his G-force tranny and just replaced it. Even one of the best trannys out there will still have its limits. The Twins were pretty much bullet proof just like they always are. The AEM crew was pretty much very unsociable (inc. Steph) and we didn't get a chance to see what they were packing. The only thing I could see with the nose off their civic was that there was an NSX twin turbo engine in there. Only got to see one run but they did manage to run a 6.74 vs. Ara's Solara's 7.02.

In regards to what Scott said, the TT coils are really good coils. The weakness is on the primary voltage side. Running these coils on a CDI like an MSD or Motec CDI-8 will really bring out their best potential. Running the MSD has a few drawbacks like setup antilag via any stand alone would be better suited from the MSD instead. The Motec CDI for the spark is like an independant spark control. The system can be programmed for the spark timing,duration,intensity,etc.. all in the unit itself and can link directly to any of the Motec ECU's. Last time I spoke with Motec tech, they mentioned that the TT coils were tested to produce an excellent spark when running on the Motec CDI-8.

They mostly came out for an exhibition show but there was a pay off of $5k for the winner. Perhaps even a runner up kick back but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

The way I look at it is that today our imports have the chance to run in the same event. Tomorrow we will be running beside them.

Joe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts