Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
GT40 1.5JZ
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK OK....HERE GOES

My friend did the 1JZ swap without the 89+ crossmember. He told me this some time ago, but I just looked at it tonight.

This is astonishing information for me, as I will do the same thing.

He used the round mounts from the clip, and shoved them onto the 88 crossmember. I've got an 87 hardtop, and will be doing this soon....hopefully.

-Joseph

BAS representin

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
perf0rmance said:
OK OK....HERE GOES

My friend did the 1JZ swap without the 89+ crossmember. He told me this some time ago, but I just looked at it tonight.

This is astonishing information for me, as I will do the same thing.

He used the round mounts from the clip, and shoved them onto the 88 crossmember. I've got an 87 hardtop, and will be doing this soon....hopefully.

-Joseph

BAS representin
heheh... sweet, tell me how it goes Joseph when your done, another 1jz in the Bay Area :) aight peace

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Re: Re: Important...1jz New Info!!!

BoostAddctn said:
heheh... sweet, tell me how it goes Joseph when your done, another 1jz in the Bay Area :) aight peace

Who has the other one in the Bay Area??? And who can do this 1jz swap in the Bay Area???

Any info will be helpful.
Thanks.

·
GT40 1.5JZ
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Wastegate....

Thanks for telling me this now, cuz I never really looked into anyone doing this other than my friend....and also before I did any work. My buddy has been running this setup for a year now, so hopefully broken mounts won't happen to him...

Guess I'll need an 89+ crossmemeber...can anyone source one???

Just thought I'd share it....and so it's more info out there.

-Joseph

·
SF in my veins... sigh
1,586 Posts
Yeah... there is also a height problem... the early mounts on the cross member are too high... therefore his engine sits 1 1/4" inches too high.... torquing the trans at an odd angle... the trans bolts don't go in straight... the trans is a couple of degrees out of alignment from where it should be... etc etc etc.

Also the mounts won't be seated properly in the slots... therefore if he torques it hard he strongly risks it popping out of one of the slots.

<--- has mounted a 1J with new mounts on an old frame to test... knows the situation well
**Edit: I should add... it didn't work :) I ended up pulling it out and putting in the right subframe

Yer asking for trouble if you do that.... bigtime.

·
SF in my veins... sigh
1,586 Posts
Supra Junky 101 said:
51 What year is your car ? And Is there a differance between a RHD and LHD Crossmember ?
My car is an 88... now with an 89+ subframe.

Yes there is a difference btween the LHD and RHD subframes. The power-steering rack mounts are reversed. (left to right) The mount on the passenger side is always a little smaller than the mount on the driver side.

Now... you will hear guys tell that you can use the RHD subframe out of the clip... and that with a little "coaxing" you can make ther power steering rack fit... and yes you can. But IMO it's not done right if you squeeze the LHD power steering rack into RHD mounts... and I wouldn't trust it myself.

No offense intended to the guys who have done this... but I personally would find a proper LHD 89+ subframe and do it right. (...and that's what I did ;) )

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yeah I saw the rhd rack thing done on a car we got and it really doesnt work all that well. Just get the proper subframe or go rhd, it worked on one of our cars. I can attest to the fragility of the round rubber mounts. I have personally broken three good ones...please dont ask me how.

·
GT40 1.5JZ
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it's too late now...as I just bought a '91 engine.

Anyway, I've gotten hold of a 91 frame, but I don't know how to take off the 89+ crossmember.

It's not like it'll do me any good, but I'm sure someone wants it.

Joseph

1 - 12 of 12 Posts