Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I drive my car, I always turn on my FJO and let the sensor warm up for at least a couple minutes, until the lcd display starts reading. I know a lot of people do the same, but it is really necessary? How is it any different than the stock heated o2 sensor? It seems to hold up fine without pre-warming it.

-Paul

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
oh, well that will save me a few minutes every time i go out to get groceries :) thanks for the heads up.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really... well great, that's what I was hoping to hear! Thanks.

Oh yeah, one other dumb question. Is it harmful to leave the FJO on while the engine is off? I was just curious. Someone mentioned it was bad, but I don't see why it would be.

-Paul

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
It is not recommended to leave the FJO powered while the engine is not running. In such a case the controller has to keep the sensor up to temperature without aid of hot exhaust gas. That being said, I know people who have left them powered up for many hours at a time without consequence. In fact, I don't know of anyone who has had a problem as a result of leaving the system powered up. Nevertheless, it is not recommended by FJO.

Steve Hayes

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, the control box actively measures the operating temperature of the sensor and corrects for it? That would explain it then. I imagine it would be difficult to keep the sensor at 800 F or whatever without the aid of the exhaust gases! Thanks.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw this discussion and was curious so I looked in my manual and found this

"Do not allow the unit to be powered up without the engine running for prolonged
periods, this may completely drain your vehicle's battery. DO NOT run the engine with an
unpowered sensor in the exhaust stream. This WILL damage the sensor."

Sounds like the engine off issue is because of the battery and the sensor damage is an issue when the engine is running and the FJO is off.

Just my 10 cents worth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts