Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Ready. Set. Gone.
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a FnF fanboy who is in love with the Skyline. If the process to do this is completely ridiculous, I am open to other car suggestions. I am looking for a fun car to use on the track only. I never hear much about importing a GTR for track use. I respect what the GTR is capable of doing and it seems like a fun vehicle to own with lots of useful technology and a GREAT powerplant. I am wondering what sort of costs would I be looking at. Would I have to get a special license or something to get it shipped here for the track? Also, would I STILL have to pay ridiculous costs for the car if I don't plan to use it on public roads? From what I know, the cars are fairly affordable in Japan but, I know a bunch of random fees, taxes and etc would hike it up. I would like a R34 GTR simply because they are newer and are most likely the more refined of the others. I don't care about weight. If it is much easier or cheaper to get a R32 or R33 I won't complain. If it is simply an outlandish idea to ship a GTR here for any reason at all when there are plenty of capable vehicles to use here, I'm all ears.

·
Wangan Nasty
2,128 Posts
If you want a track only beast, i like the R32, but its an older car so a few "restoration" Modifications need to be done to get the car clean and ready. However, it is the lightest and in some people's opinions the best GTR. Those can be had for around 20,000 or less.

The R33 is the heaviest, and they go for about 29,000-30,000 Sold here through grey market. ANYONE out of japan who did not get these cars has to pay certain taxes, and a premium for these cars. It is not just us, but we get hit a little harder with the bullshit.

The R34 goes for about 45,000-50,000 still without "legalization" plates and what not.

Depends how far you want to go and what is your budget.

I personally would recommend an S15 Spec R to you (i dont care what the drift boys say), this car has good handling for track racing also. Garage Saurus has an S14 that they use for time attack, so you can use S15 also. They go for about 20,000-30,000. They have SR20 Blacktop which is a good powerplant, some parts you can even find here. They are light, RWD, Turbocharged and simple cars.

·
Ready. Set. Gone.
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I personally would recommend an S15 Spec R to you (i dont care what the drift boys say), this car has good handling for track racing also. Garage Saurus has an S14 that they use for time attack, so you can use S15 also. They go for about 20,000-30,000. They have SR20 Blacktop which is a good powerplant, some parts you can even find here. They are light, RWD, Turbocharged and simple cars.
A Silvia crossed my mind...thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for the GTR information. To be honest, money isn't a dire concern..but why spend more when you don't have to?

I just don't want to THINK I'll only be spending a certain amount..then find out I have to spend 30k more to get it here.

·
Registered
212 Posts
For a track only car, R34 would be cool but if you intend this to never leave the track their are some alternatives that may be better suited for track-only purposes.

Noble M400, Elise/Exige, any Radical, 911 GT3.

·
Ready. Set. Gone.
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Noble M400, Elise/Exige, any Radical, 911 GT3.

Do not have the kind of budget to have a 911, Noble on the track only!

If I'm getting one of those cars...you better bet that I'm getting every possible use out of it! The Elise is a possibility, though...

Anyone with any specific pricing GTR information, or who can lead me in the right direction to look?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Do not have the kind of budget to have a 911, Noble on the track only!

If I'm getting one of those cars...you better bet that I'm getting every possible use out of it! The Elise is a possibility, though...

Anyone with any specific pricing GTR information, or who can lead me in the right direction to look?
You dont have the money for a GT3, but you're talking about importing a R34 Skyline for track duty only?

A GT3 costs a little over $100k, and a Noble w/drivetrain is in the $90k's.

Elise is a good car.

·
Super Moderator
13,816 Posts
For a track slut at this budget and you're interested in RB26 AWD power, personally I would recommend a Full-Race R14.
http://www.full-race.com/r14/

With the relative ease of finding an S14 chassis I think it would be a win-win vehicle, it would also allow you to drive on the street without fear of driving a grey market car.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

·
MUDKIP FARMER
11,112 Posts
The skyline has become nearly impossible to import. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I was told that the US stopped allowing skylines to be imported to the US on a legal basis. If you check motorex, the former largest importer of legal US skylines, they haven't brought anything into the US in quite some time.

Consider the new supercharged Exigé from lotus. If you can afford it it runs about $1000 a month to purchase for a 5 year deal. I was in contact with the local importer (a jaguar dealer), had a test drive, and they are really fucking amazing.

The car does everything you can imagine and more with a $65k price tag. A true track car, a little lacking for daily use but damn, they are VERY fucking impressive.

·
Super Moderator
13,816 Posts
The skyline has become nearly impossible to import. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I was told that the US stopped allowing skylines to be imported to the US on a legal basis. If you check motorex, the former largest importer of legal US skylines, they haven't brought anything into the US in quite some time.

Consider the new supercharged Exigé from lotus. If you can afford it it runs about $1000 a month to purchase for a 5 year deal. I was in contact with the local importer (a jaguar dealer), had a test drive, and they are really fucking amazing.

The car does everything you can imagine and more with a $65k price tag. A true track car, a little lacking for daily use but damn, they are VERY fucking impressive.
Motorex fudged the crash test data on the R32 and R34's from the legitimate R33 information they used. 96-98 R33 GTR's and GTS's are still on the list of vehicles elegible for importation by a qualified RI.
R32's and R34's previously imported by Motorex were grandfathered in and are still fully legal but no more will be available until someone produces legitimate crash test data and submits it to the NHTSA and DOT, and you can bet they'll go over it with a maginifying glass the size of Texas. All other cars in the states are grey market vehicles registered using various local loopholes or by falsifying VIN information.

A Supercharged Exige would be a blast on a road course though... But I can understand the appeal of the RB26/ATTESA combination.

·
Registered
2 Posts
could always find a R32 for sale up here in canada, and get it down there

i know of a few in oregon, that the guys bought them in british columbia and took them across the boarder themselves and they are what u could call "grey market" cars.

but don't cheap out and get a gts-t get a gtr, i have owned two gts-t r32 skylines and been disapointed in both of them even after upgrading the turbo

·
Beats and Rhythm
6,558 Posts
The R33 was not the heaviest. The R34 was.

An R32 would be the way to go though, it being light weight and you could apply the latest generation of the HICAS steering system from the R34 (if you can find the parts, mostly the rear HICAS ecu...the HICAS actuator can be found in S15 silvias as well...though they come with shorter factory tie rod ends).

Use the R34's 6 speed transmission and front differential (very robust) and possibly an N1 series block and head and you would have yourself a very worth winner.

Though it would not fit in very many SCCA or club racing classes (probably the unlimited class) it would still be a fun project.

·
Ready. Set. Gone.
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea, I may settle for an R34, simply because it is newer, and I REALLY don't want to have to do 15+ year restoration on a car not even sold here...what a nightmare.

If I were to buy an R34, WOULD I need some sort of special license to get it here or even use it on the track. It wouldn't participate in any super official racing events. What if I wanted to say...use the R34 in an HPDE? Would that even be allowed? Even on open track days, would it be legal to use an R34 in an "unlimited' event. Club days?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts