Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I purchased an NA Supra a while ago with vast dreams of swapping in a JDM TT engine. However, after much investigation, I realized that the only route to go is to buy the TT. So I ended up flipping the NA. Anyways, I'm already fully aware of what is required for importing a car from the US to Canada. But does anyone have first hand experiance? Cheers.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
hit up dondz with a pm, he brought his car up from california, from what he told me things went pretty smooth and it wasnt as big a hassle as i thought it would be.

·
Registered
254 Posts
not too hard at all if your fully aware of the forms and the 72 hour declaration period for the states part of things. Bring extra cash, I can't stress that enough. anything else pm me

·
Registered
324 Posts
yea, make sure you bring lots of extra cash, for any hidden things that pop up. They may check over the whole vehicle. You'll have to pay a VMT (vehicle motor tax) and such on the car. I have a bunch of documents in PDF format from the government of canada, with importing cars from the US and Japan, what you need, what they can and will do.

I'll try to find them. I just got home from the oilfield for the summer so I have no idea where it is on my comp lol. I totally lucked out and bought a beautiful Mkiv TT in calgary last week. So my search has come to an end. My main plan now is to baby it and take excellent care of it as the previous owner did. Already bought a crap load of Zano wax and leather care. lol

·
Registered
324 Posts
alright send me a pm, ill do search in my comp today and tommorrow, and my emails, if i cant find it, ill just get it from the GOC again. no biggy. you have msn or anything i can send you it through?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah To4R, if you could email those PDFs to me that would be great. I''m already fully aware of all the forms and paperwork. But my main questions, were how much did they charge you in taxes. Did they charge you on the book value, or how much you paid for the car. As well, what were the standarizing mods you had to do the car. Just headlights and odometer? I emailed the MTO with these questions, but they don't know anything (as usual with the gov't), and I definetly want to know what I'm looking at. I know Im going to save some money importing, but the main reason is that there is far more selection and opportunity to get a fantastic TT from the states. Cheers.

·
Registered
254 Posts
you will be charged what you paid for the car MOST of the time i heard. My bill of sale said 5000 so they charged me duty and gst at the border and pst at icbc. You don't need to fuck with the odo but your headlights do have to have DRL. I found a place that did a very good job for 60 bucks. After i passed the inspection i immeadiatley ripped out the whole installation :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
i have a question myself, when a car has rebuilt status it is still fine to import into Canada right? Also when buying a car privately from someone is it just the title have to be signed on the back and you just bring it back with you? That simple? Are there any precautions to take or common fruads to be careful of?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the car is a salvage title, you CANNOT import the vehicle into canada. Besides having the ownership, you need a document from Toyota saying that the car is qualified for US specs, and that any recalls were performed on the vehicles. There are a few other things you need as well. Check this out for more info www.riv.ca

·
Registered
173 Posts
yah thats what i thought as the person who owns it in the US has been driving it for the last 7yrs after it was rebuilt so it is fine to drive and has already been insured and good to drive.

Also so whats the best way to buy the car from someone in the US? Just get them to get the title and sign the back or go with them to the DOL? Also for a bill of sale is it just a hand written letter from the person or go to the DOL to do all this? I assume the DOL is like the insurance place right?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts