Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
I'd say alot more canadian members should know where to get them, since they can import nearly every car legally after like 10 years or something.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
There is a link on MKIV.com that talks about importers. I'm not sure how up to date it but it may help. For skylines go to freshalloy.com and check their skyline section

·
Registered
319 Posts
strip the car and have it shipped as parts in a container. engine must be seperate.

making it road legal once assembled - many diff ways.

very easy and simple. just have patience

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,715 Posts
My friend looked into it and feared the car getting crushed once reaching our port. You have to go thru a lot of hoops to get it DOT approved and licensed. Closest attempt was to bring it in to Canada and then find a state that will temp register site unseen. Actually for you it would be easy.

1. Buy back your NA
2. Import car to Canada
3. Attach NA VIN tags and drive across the border.

·
Registered
102 Posts
fatkatsupra said:
strip the car and have it shipped as parts in a container. engine must be seperate.

making it road legal once assembled - many diff ways.

very easy and simple. just have patience
they must be shipped in 2 seperate containers.. i.e. parts in one.. chasis in another.

·
Eleventeen
297 Posts
It's 15 years for Canadian Imports..so would assume you're talking about importing MKIII supras..you wouldn't be able to import a MKIV to canada until mid-2008 and they still won't be cheap

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
First question, what is the reason to import a supra from Japan?
To me, it's a waste of time and money, while you can get one here in the States for lower price. I am in shipping business (exp/imp/ container service). I have asked and called many people include Dept. of Transportation. It's almost impossible to ship the whole car to the US. You can try to ship it as a rolling chassis, and assembled those parts when it gets here. However, you need to go through all the legalization process and modification on the car to have it meet the US DOT requirement, which is going to cost you a lot of $$$$$.

So, it will be much much better and easier to buy one here. All the money you spend to import the car and legalization, you can put some crazy modification under the hood. Trust me, it isn't worth the money to do import JDM.

Hope this help!

Good Luck!

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
NITECRUISER said:
First question, what is the reason to import a supra from Japan?
To me, it's a waste of time and money, while you can get one here in the States for lower price. I am in shipping business (exp/imp/ container service). I have asked and called many people include Dept. of Transportation. It's almost impossible to ship the whole car to the US. You can try to ship it as a rolling chassis, and assembled those parts when it gets here. However, you need to go through all the legalization process and modification on the car to have it meet the US DOT requirement, which is going to cost you a lot of $$$$$.

So, it will be much much better and easier to buy one here. All the money you spend to import the car and legalization, you can put some crazy modification under the hood. Trust me, it isn't worth the money to do import JDM.

Hope this help!

Good Luck!

Have you imported cars already ? I have a friend that has imported a few whole cars and a mitsu fuso. It didnt sound too hard, with exception of the paperwork.
You can go to the NHTSA web site and find out what cars are legal for registration in the US.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
^^^I have looked at the website.

You can try do import! It's only my opinion.

Good Luck!

·
Eye Kandy For Enthusiasts
1,091 Posts
there was a guy on here that was selling an imported authentic JDM supra, i dont know if he still has it for sale or not, and was letting it go for pretty cheap. he was located in Davie Florida. Try searching for the an ad that says:

"Authentic JDM Supra"

Was a dark red with full do-luck bodykit

·
Registered
319 Posts
reasons to buy from japan:

supras are cheaper
tons of hardtops
the cars are much lighter
they aren't beat like they are in the states

·
6Spd TT Aerotop
3,620 Posts
Ray, importing from Japan is definately worth it if you want a hardtop, MANY highly stupidly modded cars for sale over there. Trying to find a modified Targa will be near impossible though, as they were the luxury spec automatic version only, and rare as rocking horse shit.

Probably not quite so much worth it if you bring over a standard example. In Japan I've seen 93-94 TT 6spds go for under 15k AUD before import.

Best option would definately be to bring it in through Canada and do a dodgy on your VIN from the crashed Supra.

A Skyline would be much harder to import as there would be no way of doing a dodgy on it, and good km R34GTR's still seem to be around the 70k-80k AUD mark before import. Also they're nowhere near as great a base to start modding as a Supra.

Dan.

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Sicarius123 said:
Best option would definately be to bring it in through Canada and do a dodgy on your VIN from the crashed Supra.

A Skyline would be much harder to import as there would be no way of doing a dodgy on it, and good km R34GTR's still seem to be around the 70k-80k AUD mark before import. Also they're nowhere near as great a base to start modding as a Supra.

Dan.

There is no need to swap vins or do anything suspect. It is fully legal to import any car from japan that has a US counterpart. ie: supra=supra aristo=gs300 etc..
I know for a fact that you cant get a skyline into the us right now even thru canada. A buddy of mine has been trying for over a year. He finally gave up and bought one from RB motoring.

·
6Spd TT Aerotop
3,620 Posts
Well end of the day he'd want to keep the wrecked one anyway. If for nothing else, to swap from RHD to LHD.

It's really not a hard swap with the Supra, all the guide holes are in the firewall anyway. Toyota are lazy and only made one firewall for the Supra :p

Dan.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sicarius123 said:
Well end of the day he'd want to keep the wrecked one anyway. If for nothing else, to swap from RHD to LHD.

It's really not a hard swap with the Supra, all the guide holes are in the firewall anyway. Toyota are lazy and only made one firewall for the Supra :p

Dan.

Why would he want to go to LHD on the jdm supra that will be getting rid of the one thing that will make it stand out from a quick glance.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts