Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just obtained my E-2 Investors Visa to the united states.
I will be moving from the UK to the USA very soon and I have two cars which i really want to bring with me
but i haven't had any luck with that yet. the two cars I have are:

1. Mazda RX7 2001 RS Type.
2. Toyota Supra 1999 Non Turbo.

I have tried contacting various importers and looked on the EPA site and its almost impossible to have these cars imported
to the states as they are. I have had no luck in selling them, I have even dropped the price of them by over half of the cost.

Someone on the internet recently told me that I would be able to import them if I removed the engines from the cars (i.e just the shell).

My question is will that be OK to do? and how would i go about shipping them?

Ideally I just want to store them with me during my stay in the USA. They are very expensive cars and I cant just throw them. I was thinking of putting an engine from an American sports car in them maybe?

I hope you will be able to help me out, and i really appreciate you taking the time to read my message.

·
Ninja
952 Posts
god damn streetracers importing there illegal super cars into our redneck country.

·
2JZ swapped!
879 Posts
You can import it with the motor out, only thing then is you must register it as a kit car. Which in some states is impossible, or well atleast for JDM cars.

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
Are you by chance getting a residence in Florida or do you know someone that's close to you that lives there? If so you would have no problem getting it imported and registered and titled. If not you will have it pretty tough. You guys in the UK Australia, New Zealand and Canada have it easier then we do when it comes to importing a car.

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
If this post shows up more then once blame it on my blackberry. Are you by chance getting a residence in Florida or do you know someone that's close to you that lives there? If so you would have no problem getting it imported and registered and titled. If not you will have it pretty tough. You guys in the UK Australia, New Zealand and Canada have it easier then we do when it comes to importing a car.

·
You know I'm retarded...
2,907 Posts
I was told that if you bring JDM in here US as car kit, it's require to cut half of the car shipped two different time. Once the DMV is settled and approved (around 3months). After DMV is done, rewelding and putting together the car approval again for Highway Patrol Police inspection. But only thing bad about it, its become salvage title and very hard to get insurance. That's what I've been told so I don't know if it's true or not.

You should bring here and get it done, But don't bring here in CALI too many restrictions and it takes forever get it legal.

I know everyone here want to see you SUPRA & RX7 so, show us some pictures bro!!! :D

·
Glad to be back
2,180 Posts
I was told that if you bring JDM in here US as car kit, it's require to cut half of the car shipped two different time. Once the DMV is settled and approved (around 3months). After DMV is done, rewelding and putting together the car approval again for Highway Patrol Police inspection. But only thing bad about it, its become salvage title and very hard to get insurance. That's what I've been told so I don't know if it's true or not.

You should bring here and get it done, But don't bring here in CALI too many restrictions and it takes forever get it legal.

I know everyone here want to see you SUPRA & RX7 so, show us some pictures bro!!! :D
I have NEVER heard of anyone cutting a car in half and welding it back together again to import a JDM car. How can it become salvage if the car was never titled in the US?

·
Registered
282 Posts

Not that I've had to do this but ... ?.? :scratch: I doubt you have to do that. It would just have to pass tests for its year model car. If it wasn't sold in the country i'm sure they have another basis to gauge it to legalize it. Very doubt you have chop up your car for importing

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is a Supra on Autotrader straight from Japan. I asked the guy about it and he wouldn't give me many details on how he got it in the US with a FL title. Being that he is in FL it must not be that hard to get them into the US.

·
Fly Navy
589 Posts
This is quite possibly one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this forum.

·
You serious?
2,999 Posts
Why even bother with the trouble? Just sell your car there and when you get here, buy a US version? :scratch:

Edit: Wait, just saw your age. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say your entire story is bullshit, and you're thinking that with the prices overseas you can import an MKIV for cheaper? Your wet dream isn't going to come true unless you cut the bullshit and start working hard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts