Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First i'd like to make this a sticky.
Does anyone know what you have to do so that you can bring parts across without having to pay crazy duties or taxes (depending on your province).
Im tired of getting raped up the ass with added $$ spent to get stuff across.
I've noticed that if I put $10 value that i dont get hassels or have to pay premiums on my stuff.
Does anyone know what to put the description as, and what value to put to avoid paying extra?
Thanks Ryan

·
1,020 Posts
what I have found that usually works, is:

a) Make the shipper ship the product Via Air (fedex air, etc) To skip Brokerage charges.You will still have to pay GST like 80% of the time.

b) Lower customes declared value

c) Also fill out the country as Canada where "manufactured" works on most custom parts only. (not originally sealed new products)

d) Get seller to open the packahe and say it was sent down to the states for "refurbishing" or warranty work.

Most if not all of these ideas work and I use them regularily.

DO NOT USE UPS When shipping from USA into Canada

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
if your close to the border and have a freind on the other side, get it shiped to them and go pick it up...

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Justin187 said:
what I have found that usually works, is:

a) Make the shipper ship the product Via Air (fedex air, etc) To skip Brokerage charges.You will still have to pay GST like 80% of the time.

b) Lower customes declared value

c) Also fill out the country as Canada where "manufactured" works on most custom parts only. (not originally sealed new products)

d) Get seller to open the packahe and say it was sent down to the states for "refurbishing" or warranty work.

Most if not all of these ideas work and I use them regularily.

DO NOT USE UPS When shipping from USA into Canada
thanks for the tips, but wouldnt Fedex air be damn expensive?

Also say you put refurbishing for the description and value it at $100. Would you still have to pay taxes on that $100, or would they bypass it since its already yours and being refurbished?
Thanks Ryan

·
Back to Action!
210 Posts
USPS - full value - marked as a gift.

USPS might take a little longer, but it sure is cheaper.
full value might have you pay a little more for insurance - but then at least its guaranteed.
gift - pretty self explanatory.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
i was wondering this as well... i was planning on ordering a new clutch and f/w... but didnt want to pay the duty and taxes, so what my plan is, is to order it with horsepower freaks, drive down to portland, have them install it (which i would rather do my self) and than once installed just drive back, than bring the old clutch and f/w back with me and have them print me up a 50.00 reciept for used parts or whatever.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
ya if you can drive down and have them install it then that works. I wouldnt think that you have to get a receipt for the old stuff, just leave it in the trunk. Just say you went to see some friends or something. But then again you could get a receipt just incase. Sometimes they are real pricks at the border. If you get a receipt put it for $20 and say used parts. If you stay across for less than 24hrs you cant bring anything back across without having to pay duty on it. The minimum is 48 hrs then you can bring stuff back with you within the limit.
I just got re-imbursed $210 for duty that I had to pay on some parts that I brought across last thankgiving (year before the one that past)

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
When coming long distances I find that air-mail is cheaper than ground mail.

You can make the package as a gift and you wont get charged duty (most of the time) but then you can't put insurance on the item. (I think)

·
1,020 Posts
Air may be expensive but take the advantages into consideration.

A) Faster

B) No brokerage and barely any taxes.

C) I would hesitate marking gift on products that are in new packages and from a COMPANY address in the states. Also I forgot make sure the box has no real invoice in it otherwise you can get into some decent trouble ahahaha

like me, I'm in the system now for searches everytime i ship ground or pass the border in person. All the trouble for not paying for 18 dollars CDN in taxes.

The Prick threw the book at me and I got owned.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had a guy mark in the description "used car parts" and the duty was pretty cheap, he also marked the value at 25% of its actual cost.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Weird, I just had an intercooler shipped VIA fedex ground from down south and was not charged any duty on it. Package was marked as $200us for the value.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Teraka said:
USPS - full value - marked as a gift.

USPS might take a little longer, but it sure is cheaper.
full value might have you pay a little more for insurance - but then at least its guaranteed.
gift - pretty self explanatory.
Honestly this is the only way i deal with us sellers. IT has never failed me.

UPS is the absolute worst!

Fedex is inconsistent, sometimes i pay, sometimes not... IE. i got coilovers, they came in two boxes, first box nothing, second box i had to pay duties on declared value.

Seriously just tell them to ship usps and mark as a gift w/ full insurance.

Ang

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Justin187 said:
The Prick threw the book at me and I got owned.
i find that hilarious for some reason, theres nothing like some good ol' self ownage.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,222 Posts
UPS marked UNDER 20$ canadian there is no brokerage fees marked gift no taxes
USPS - marked as gift and sent air or ground
Fedex same as ups

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i just got some stuff in. Value declared at $50USD. shipped through fedex. It was re-valued at $60. I had to pay the GST 7% so $4.20 and $7.00 service charge.
Fedex is the way to go. No brokerage fees like UPS.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,222 Posts
oh yes you'll get brokerage wait 3 weeks and watch waht you find in the mail

1 - 20 of 70 Posts