Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,222 Posts
Ok i'm the shipping master now

Here's the deal

Fedex, UPS - Warrenty replacement any value = no duty but a brokerage charge (gst on brokerage)
Fedex, UPS - No brokerage on any item marked under 20$ but may not pass customs with that value. If it does no customs charges
Fedex, UPS - Sent as a gift with low value must be form a person and NOT a company or you will be charged what customs feels like charging. Along with the brokerage charges.
USPS - no brokerage just duty or GST/PST (takes forever and usually gets damaged if marked fragile)

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
Ordered an intercooler through USPS. It was returned to sender with no reason attached. The box was opened and emptied of its protective material. Intercooler was destroyed. Neither the government or Canada Post will fess up.

After reading your post zazz I would say not to use usps on anything fragile at all. Not because of USPS but because of our lousy system

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
UPS just fucked me over a few days ago. I ordered a big box of goodies from Elmhurst Toyota and Curt marked the value 50$. UPS tried to deliver twice - no one at home, they leave a note that the final attempt will be made the next day from 10 AM to 2 PM, and there is a 39$ COD.
I knew that there wouldnt be anyone at home again at that time and i really wanted the package bad. So what i did was i took 40$ in cash, put it under the floor mat in front of the door, and left a note for UPS to take the money and leave the package.
That day i come back from work, money is gone, and package is in place.... So i think "cool".
A couple of days ago i get an invoice in the mail from UPS for 39$.....

·
12,222 Posts
hahah denis that blows, as for USPS, they fuqed up my PWR radiator... (of coruse)

·
Registered
198 Posts
I get most of my stuff usps and have no problems usual fees are under 10 dollars
stuff i have sent fedex the bill shows up later and its for more then half the value declared

Anyone else enjoy the 5 dollar customs fee for them opening your package? I think it kinda funny :)

·
Registered
934 Posts
I got a quick question, I am buying a used catback exhaust from the US... USPS is good, but what method should I use to ship the thing? I told the guy fedex and its gonna cost me $100US to ship it. Should I tell him to mark it as a gift with a lower value?

Thanks.

·
12,222 Posts
Fedex is gonna cost no matter what you do unless it's under 20 bones.

I just found out how to clear everything and just pay GST/PST and a small border fee.

Basically, you'll have to find the closest port to you for me is pearson airport, then you find out where the customs office is... Go to Fedex / UPS pick up the customs papers then take them to customs after you fill them out.

After you pay a small fee for customs and the duty ect they will release the item...

I recommend this to get out of the big brokerage fees that UPS charges but yet maintain safety for expensive items. This way you don't have to rely on USPS breaking the packages or them never showing up especially if they are valued low.

·
12,222 Posts
FromDaStreetz said:
what happens if you don't pay the fedex bill? lol i haven't yet
they will screw up your credit rating and you'll have a collection agency after you.

·
BOOBIES
3,214 Posts
I'm having a used exhaust sent to me by someone in Arizona by UPS. I'm gonna mark the value as 100 and I'm gonna declare it as used car parts... hopefuly I won't get raped too bad :(

I'll let you guys know the result. I'm not too worried about it being damaged because it's packaged REALLY well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm having a used exhaust sent to me by someone in Arizona by UPS. I'm gonna mark the value as 100 and I'm gonna declare it as used car parts... hopefuly I won't get raped too bad :(

I'll let you guys know the result. I'm not too worried about it being damaged because it's packaged REALLY well.
Any news on the result I'm planning on having a full greddy catback sent my way from cali and myself and the seller were wondering the best way to go about shipping it. I originally told him fedex air but their quote for it was somethign like $240. The ground quote was $72 and fedex told him they would be charging a $42 dollar brokerage fee and plus the 7% for Canadian GST. I was under the impression that if u listed the item as used you would not have to pay for GST. They also said if it was made in Japan another fee would be put on top as well(what is this?) I told him to declare full value on the box $700 just incase it gets damaged otw. Anyway I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on how to go about getting this shipped. Is it worth it to just pay for the air shipping since I might get charged that in shipping, brokerage, tax and duty fees??

Thanks

Jeff

·
BOOBIES
3,214 Posts
Sorry it took me so long!!!!

The guy listed the price at 100 as a gift and I think they charged me like 20 bucks or 30 bucks when they delivered it. Pretty crazy considering it came in a box 6 feet high and weighed about 30 pounds lol.

You will get charged a lot if you put a 700 dollar value on it... But then again, if you're worried about it getting damaged you have to put a higher value so you can insure it. This guy showed me the packaging of the exhaust before he sold it, and it was THOROUGH, so I didn't mind declaring the value low.

Good luck~

·
Registered
8 Posts
What was the company he shipped it with and the type of shipping??

Sorry it took me so long!!!!

The guy listed the price at 100 as a gift and I think they charged me like 20 bucks or 30 bucks when they delivered it. Pretty crazy considering it came in a box 6 feet high and weighed about 30 pounds lol.

You will get charged a lot if you put a 700 dollar value on it... But then again, if you're worried about it getting damaged you have to put a higher value so you can insure it. This guy showed me the packaging of the exhaust before he sold it, and it was THOROUGH, so I didn't mind declaring the value low.

Good luck~

·
BOOBIES
3,214 Posts

·
BOOBIES
3,214 Posts
I was just wondering if anyone has had the experience of having wheels shipped up to Canada and what the best way to avoid duty etc. is? I know I'll have to pay quite a larger amount, but I really want these wheels!!! I found such an amazing deal >.<

Please let me know!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I ussualy just take a cube van and when i pickup my parts i just tear off all the stickers and remove them from the box and at the border i just say it was in there before.

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
So I do alot of shipping now with my business, here is what I have learned, from USA to Canada.
-USPS does not have brokerage charges, only pay GST/PST on declared value.
-UPS has high brokerage charges, up to 50+% of the value, get the package marked down to a lower value and if marked as Warrantee repair you may just have to pay GST and PST.

From Canada to the USA.
- Purolator, no brokerage/ taxes if valued at under $100
- Canada post/ USPS, no brokerage or taxes.

What do you guys do when you order large orders valued at $2000 or more, or many different parts from HPF or Champion Toyota?

·
Registered
861 Posts
So I do alot of shipping now with my business, here is what I have learned, from USA to Canada.
-USPS does not have brokerage charges, only pay GST/PST on declared value.
-UPS has high brokerage charges, up to 50+% of the value, get the package marked down to a lower value and if marked as Warrantee repair you may just have to pay GST and PST.

From Canada to the USA.
- Purolator, no brokerage/ taxes if valued at under $100
- Canada post/ USPS, no brokerage or taxes.

What do you guys do when you order large orders valued at $2000 or more, or many different parts from HPF or Champion Toyota?
I'm wondering this too... I have a very sizable order going to be coming from MVP, Dusty reckons Fedex is the way to go. I just need to figure out the cheapest way so I don't get hit with a huge bill on top of what the shipping charges are going to be

21 - 40 of 70 Posts