Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking out cars and came across a 03 G35 coupe. It has 28k on it and is in really good shape. I think I might be able to trade straight up for my Supra. My Supra has 49k and is an auto. Its twin turbo 93 black on tan. Is this worth it or should I stick with the Supra ? I was just looking around for fun and the fact I dont want to put a lot of miles on the Supra and I travel a lot made me think about this deal. Let me know your thoughts. Seems like it might be more logical for travel but less fun to drive ? Any input would help. THanx.

·
!black
4,625 Posts
...no fawking way would I ever trade a supra for a G35.

But that's just me.

Supra will depreciate MUCH less than the G35 will over the next 5 years.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
MadMaxx said:

But that's just me.

Agree'd, just buy a beater if you have to travel a lot. You can pick up very nice cars for under $2500 nowadays

·
Registered
497 Posts
LOL, this is the same dilemma I am in. Im on my third supra, and its my daily driver. Its got just over 80k miles now, and Im getting the "itch" for a new car. My dilemma is...buy a low-mile, prestine supra and spend 35-40k, or spend the money on one of those ever-so-tempting EVO's. The problem is that I know if I buy a nice supra like that, that I will have hesitation in building it due to the low mileage, and it will drive me nuts because I will want to build it. But, Ive already been through several different cars in the past... z06's, vipers and porsches....and I keep coming back to the supras.
Its a catch-22. I dont know if your supra is built, but youre probably going to take a serious performance hit going with the g35. The g35 is a really sweet car, but youre going to inevitably see yourself coming and going, since they are a dime a dozen, around here anyway. Id say go for the g35 if you want something new and arent as concerned with performance and exclusivity. Otherwise, your car is pretty low miles, and it will certainly remain reliable for a long time to come.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Have you driven a G35? I dont have any experience with Supra's but I've had my G35 for about a year and a half and I couldn't give it up for anything.

MadMaxx is right, the G35 will depreciate much worse over the next few years than your supra will. Also 03 being the first year that the G35's were built, there were some issues with the 03's (Engine, Tranmission, etc) so I would say buy an extended warranty if you do end up getting the G35.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
you'll regret it... I'd buy a cheap beater (or finance a newer one) but keep the Supra... having a beater also helps you appreciate the Supra every time you drive it, as opposed to taking it for granted when you drive it daily. I'm driving a company POS work van right now and it's great because I didn't pay for it, they pay my gas, and I don't drive the Supra when I don't need to which is a great feeling.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
MadMaxx said:

But that's just me.

+1

Exactly, and anyway, talk about going from Superman to Clark Kent. :stickpoke Get a daily driver, that's what I did. :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it only took a handful of you to talk me out of it. The Superman to Clark Kent quote did it lol. So on for a daily driver search or just push for a company vechile.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Way more g35 built already than SUPRA in its full 8 years including JP !!! Enough on this subject. No way!!!!!!!!!!!For 28K buy an NSX

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
SupRage said:
Wait till the G35 is made into the (Skyline) GT-R in 2007....and then maybe consider selling it...
right... cause we know adding a SKYLINE name will make it tons more powerful :dunno:

·
Registered
497 Posts
SupraTico said:
right... cause we know adding a SKYLINE name will make it tons more powerful :dunno:
Keep in mind that a bone-stock skyline isnt any more potent than the stock supra was (it may be a touch quicker to lower speeds due to AWD,) or probably even the current scooby STI for that matter. That car was really hyped because it was the first real japanese "supercar" with a lot of potential. Not that skylines cant be built to amazing levels, as is well proven. Still, Id bet that a bpu supra would romp any stock skyline that ever made it over here. Unless you built a skyline LOL, then it depends on which one is built more.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
VanillaGorilla said:
Well it only took a handful of you to talk me out of it. The Superman to Clark Kent quote did it lol. So on for a daily driver search or just push for a company vechile.
I don't know about you, but I travel a fair amount for work and they compensate me by the mile......making it WELL worth having your own vehicle provided it isn't overly expensive/unreliable/gas guzzler. My 2004 truck has almost completely paid for itself already. :) As soon as it is paid off (this year) it will be a total profit machine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
SupraTico said:
Uhhh....not sure what you're talking about here. I just put "Skyline" in front of the GT-R to inform people that its the next incarnation in the series and rumored to be built around the G35.

lightspeed240 said:
Keep in mind that a bone-stock skyline isnt any more potent than the stock supra was (it may be a touch quicker to lower speeds due to AWD,) or probably even the current scooby STI for that matter. That car was really hyped because it was the first real japanese "supercar" with a lot of potential. Not that skylines cant be built to amazing levels, as is well proven. Still, Id bet that a bpu supra would romp any stock skyline that ever made it over here. Unless you built a skyline LOL, then it depends on which one is built more.
Skylines have tons of potential, but we all know Supras do too. Sometimes its proportional to your wallet :biggrin:. Nissan fans do have some mainstream bragging rights however since NISMO declaired their Tuned Skyline to be "The Quickest Pruduction Car Ever".....maybe someone here can tell me what "Pruduction" means though... :doh:

IMO there is no way a G35 can have a front end as mean as this

Oil coolers fed by scoops

500+ HP

"...rear limited-slip differential receives its own heat exchanger seen behind the large oil pump"

at $170,000 its a steal ;)

If nothing its pretty, but give me a silver Supra any day.

·
!black
4,625 Posts
New G35 based "skyline" isn't a true skyline IMHO. The RB motor has gone the way of the dinosaur as far as nissan is concerned. Too bad.

The new one will be fast, but the style (G35 w/ a body kit) isn't quite up to my liking. Nor is the new 3.5L V6 they're using now. Still a releativly untested platform, but I hear people are making good hp with them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
MadMaxx said:
New G35 based "skyline" isn't a true skyline IMHO. The RB motor has gone the way of the dinosaur as far as nissan is concerned. Too bad.
I agree with you MadMaxx. Probably why Nissan dropped the Skyline tag for the GT-R. To tell you the truth I don't know why Skyline got associated with the GT-R.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts