Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am stationed at Camp Pendleton in Oceanside and just recently got a 94 turbo Supra and I am curious about how the police will react to the car. First off I am currently deployed to Afghanistan and will return in March.

The car will have VA plates and not be registered in CA and I have a VA drivers license. It has upgrades that most of the CA registered Supras are getting ticketed for.

1) With VA plates on the car will I be pulled for the same infractions such as exhaust, suspension height, and tint that most of the CA Supras are getting pulled for

2) Can they give me fix it tickets

3) Can they make me pop my hood and give me a Ref ticket?

4) The car doesn't have a front license plate will they give me a ticket for that?

Any suggestions on what to do to prepare the car, it won't be daily driven but I would like to be able to drive it and drive by cops and not worry about getting pulled over for stupid reasons. In the past when driving cars from a different state I have had cops follow me but never pull me for some of these same things, but CA seems to be in a budget crisis and just wants revenue.

Thanks in advance
Justin

·
Registered
539 Posts
1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes and probably (VC 27156(b) states No person shall operate..., hence I don't think it matters if your out of state or not)

4. Yes

My suggestions, get a front licence plate, tint only your rear window, have a quiet exhaust and have good luck. Some officers are a bet more lenient than others.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes and probably (VC 27156(b) states No person shall operate..., hence I don't think it matters if your out of state or not)

4. Yes

My suggestions, get a front licence plate, tint only your rear window, have a quiet exhaust and have good luck. Some officers are a bet more lenient than others.
Thanks for the info... this is gonna blow. Ok well... I will drive cautiously and hope for the best... if it becomes a problem then I will change the exhaust and tint... I do have a plate for the front but i really didn't want to drill the fron bumper.

Well if i do change the exhaust, the car currently has 4" exhaust from the turbo back, but it isn't a cat back, any suggestions on a 4" exhaust that might be under the 95db level... the current exhaust is whatever the previous owner had on the car, he said it had a glass pack. I just got the car and haven't even driven yet, but my wife says its loud.

·
MSB for Life! :D
1,004 Posts
For the most part JUS10,

As long as you don't drive like a complete moron you will be fine. There are still tons of car enthusiasts in California that have had no problems, because they don't take out their cars with the intentions of drawing Police attention to themselves.

Sure, there may be a factor of some luck (wrong place, wrong time sort of deal), but as long as you make smart decisions you won't need that much luck.

·
Actual Member Since 2003
3,204 Posts
^^^ yea tim knows whats up. Just stay away from blaring loud exhausts. I drive pretty safe and conservatively but my exhaust and lack of cats and mufflers draws in the piggys like feeding time.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
1. Yes

2. Yes

4. Yes

This is completely wrong. The answer is:

No, No, No, and No. It would be unconstitutional for CA to subject cars that are lawfully registered in another state that may be travelling interstate (foreign plates and license) and without the appearance of an intent to reside in CA to CA vehicular equipment laws. If such was the case the CHP would be stationed at the borders and could singlehandedly remedy CA budget deficit. Such would prevent interstate commerce and would be unconstitutional.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

No, No, No, and No. It would be unconstitutional for CA to subject cars that are lawfully registered in another state that may be travelling interstate (foreign plates and license) and without the appearance of an intent to reside in CA to CA vehicular equipment laws. If such was the case the CHP would be stationed at the borders and could singlehandedly remedy CA budget deficit. Such would prevent interstate commerce and would be unconstitutional.
See this how i was thinking... I have no intent on living in CA but I have no choice but to work here due to the Marine Corps, don't get me wrong I really like SOCAL but currently I am not trying to permanantly reside there.

·
HKS T04Z & Vpro Equipped
3,149 Posts
:werd:

:werd:

·
HKS T04Z & Vpro Equipped
3,149 Posts
Try your best to keep the out of state tags on your supra.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i think sks is right. if your car is registered out of state and your a permanent residence of another state than you shouldn't be held accountable for what is legal in your state of residence. but with that being said just because you car is legal that wont stop the police from pulling you over, they like to do that. they probably wont give you fix it tickets but you'll get the same harassment, also if you do get pulled over tell them your in the service that usually helps.

·
I <3 MSB
330 Posts
I'd trust sks on this.

You might get more attention than you'd like, though, especially if the same cops keep seeing you around the neighborhood. If they can't get you for the registration, ref tickets, etc, they may be dicks and ticket you for any moving violation they can catch you for. Killing the smurf look (and a quieter exhaust)should help.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Well said Steve.

JUS, IMO You're pretty safe. Speeding and reckless driving however remains universal. I've had my FL plates on for a year now and I usually get ignored by cops *knocks on wood*. One day I cruised Alhambra, Glendale, Pasadena, Monterey park Friday afternoon - night and I shit you not I encounters over 7 cops at close range. I just minded my own business. My car is loud as heck too. :lol: you'll be okay if you maintain a safe, cautious driver mindset for the most part ;)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am generally a cautious driver and flow with the speed of traffic but somedays i have a heavier foot and just want to go fast but that often. As long as i don't come across an exotic or something worth my effort, I shouldn't have any problems with moving violations

Thanks for all the advice

·
Actual member since 2001.
2,596 Posts
1) With VA plates on the car will I be pulled for the same infractions such as exhaust, suspension height, and tint that most of the CA Supras are getting pulled for

2) Can they give me fix it tickets

3) Can they make me pop my hood and give me a Ref ticket?

4) The car doesn't have a front license plate will they give me a ticket for that?

Any suggestions on what to do to prepare the car, it won't be daily driven but I would like to be able to drive it and drive by cops and not worry about getting pulled over for stupid reasons. In the past when driving cars from a different state I have had cops follow me but never pull me for some of these same things, but CA seems to be in a budget crisis and just wants revenue.

Thanks in advance
Justin
First and foremost, You'll be exempt from CA reg since your currently in the military (per California vehicle code)
1)Yes (see below)
2)Yes (see below)
3)Yes (see below) You shouldnt get ref'd since your car is registered out of state, BUT ignorance by a LE Office can get you ref'd. In that case it be easy to fight.
4)Yes (see below)

PM me if you have further questions!

Actually ALL vehicle traveling upon California public roadways are subject to the California Vehicle Code. Example would be tinted / license plate tabs / head light out / tail light out, ect.ect. If a ANY out of state vehicle happens to be traveling through California has any of the aformentioned violations there fair game and could be cited...Even vehicles with expired out of state registration (6+months) get cited and there vehicle impounded..CALIFORNIA, what a beautiful state!

BTW there is a California vehicle code which deals with this specific issue but at the time I dont recall the section.

·
SICK OF THE NUT SWINGERS
1,730 Posts
^^^^ so true gotta love cali..lol

Anyhoot, I would not worry that much. It's like the others have said drive accordingly. Plus try something new when you get pulled over and be= polite. It works wonders!!! Another thing is your car going to be a daily if so you may want to consider a quieter exhaust if so. Oh btw my car is a little loud also with a full 4" exhaust but I love it..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah i have always been polite when getting pulled over...you gotta think that the cop is just doing his job and I hate when I get an attitude when I am doing my job, but as long as they are a lesser rank I can life someone out gotta love the Marine Corps. I have gotten out of plenty of tickets from exhaust and stupid crap b/c I was polite and have friends with me especially on street bikes get tickets for stupid crap b/c they gave the cop some attitude. I just don't want to spend money to make the car more CA legal when there is no guarantee I will be there for more than a few years at a time.

The car will not be daily driven so its only if I plan on taking a cruise or going to the track and stuff like that.

·
Grapeade
827 Posts
Pigs near La Jolla beach are dirtbags. Just letting you know if you're ever in that area to relax at the beach or hang out with friends/family. If you drive a sports car and you make eye contact with the oink oinks around that area. Just pull over and wait for them to pull up behind you and feed you bullshit; regardless if you're military or not.

Been in that area 11 times throughout my visits to San Diego. I've been pulled over 11 out of 11 times by different oinks in that general vicinity. They're rude, have no respect for military, and try to get you to admit to some ridiculous lie that you didn't do.

Few of my experiences of why I was pulled over while driving my supra:
-"Looked like you threw a bag of something out of your window when we were driving by"
-"Your friend looked suspiciously at us at the stop sign and felt like you guys were hiding drugs"
-"Who's car is this? There's a lot of cars getting stolen recently"
-"Are you from around here, son? Did ja know you ran that red light there?"
-"Are you in the military? They let you drive these things on base? How come you're down here in this area?"

All of my responses to the questions asked by the pigs were with respect and smart-ass'ry.
Pull me over for some bullshit and I'll make them feel like a dumbass without angering them.
And 11 out of 11 of the times I got pulled over I didn't get a ticket due to my large brain fitted inside my big head.

Anyway, enjoy SD.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts