Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, i was wondering if any member has one in the car and what was the likes and dislikes.
TIA
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Just installed my Kenwood KDC-MP8017 last night, and my initial impressions are...

1. Easily the best looking of the in-dash CD/MP3 players. The Sony X-Plode was my second choice but looks like a Buck Rogers gadget and doesn't match the dash at all. The Kenwood is low key, and the Aiwa and Panasonic players look like crap, to put it bluntly.

2. Face plate folds down, which you may or may not like. In the "old days" when each CD had only one or two good tracks, changing CDs would have been a pain. However, since you can put 150-175 or so songs on a CD in .mp3 format, that shouldn't be an issue.

3. Face flips up in reverse to show a black panel and hide the stereo. Looks like it's been removed from the dash, but doesn't require removing the faceplate, although you can do that too, and the unit comes with a carrying case for it.

4. VERY small buttons. There are a lot of buttons on the face, and although I'm sure they'll become second nature in a week, initial use and setup is not intuitive. You will be required to read the manual. :)

5. Sound quality jury is still out until I can get a subwoofer and my amp in the car, but you will NOT be able to rely on the power this unit has to power the speakers. Tinny sounding is the first impression, and it lacks power. The Pioneer 45x4 (22w RMS) unit I had previously sounded much better with the stock speakers. You will more than likely want an external amplifier and speakers for this deck to sound good.

6. Once you figure out the buttons, it's easy to use. FM button moves up through the folder hierarchy, AM button moves down. If you're in a folder with sub-folders, AM will move you through all the sub-folders in that directory, then jump you to the next directory at a higher level. FM is opposite. Limit is 8 folders deep.

7. Fast Forward and Rewind buttons move you back and forth through the song files in that directory. You MUST ensure that there are only .mp3 files in the directory, or it may cause a malfunction or may try to "play" a graphic file and result in noise which may damage the speakers in the system (this is according to Kenwood's documentation).

8. You have your choice (in setup) of what is displayed for the ID3 tag. You can show album and track (I think), song and artist, or you can show the "physical" song file name ("Back in Black.mp3" for example). If the file name is longer than 31 characters (including the ".mp3" extension) it will do a sloppy job of abbreviating the file name. "F~1.mp3" for example, which gives you no clue as to what the file name is, but of course you'll hear the song.

9. There is a slight (about 2-3 seconds) delay when inserting a disk while the unit searches for .mp3 files on the disk, even if it is a standard or recorded CD/CD-R/CD-RW audio disk and not an .mp3 data disk. This is semi-annoying, but only happens when the disk is inserted, I believe. It does not have to re-find all the songs after the unit is powered down.

10. You can switch illumination on the perimeter buttons from green to red, and the display has 10 contrast levels (selectable in setup) for your viewing preferences. The main display screen is in flourescent white/blue. Here's a picture of the unit...



[ April 09, 2001: Message edited by: Jim LaBreck ]

[ April 09, 2001: Message edited by: Jim LaBreck ]
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I have this radio ... which is for sale ... the reason I'm selling ... just need some money really ... BEST MP3 PLAYER ON THE MARKET PEROID!

Kenwood Z919



Key Features

Plays MP3-Encoded CD-Rs and Conventional CDs
Maximum Output Power: 45 Watts x 4
Full Bandwidth Power (less than 1% THD): 22 Watts x 4
Motorized Faceplate
System E's+ Advanced Crossover System
DRIVE Distortion Reduction Circuitry
Front, Rear, and Non-Fading Gold-Plated RCA Outputs
Full-Function 10-Key Remote Control

Power Ratings

Maximum Output Power: 45 Watts x 4
Full Bandwidth Power (less than 1% THD): 22 Watts x 4

Compact Disc Features

Plays MP3-Encoded CD-Rs and Conventional CDs
Digital-to-Analog Converter: Intergated Quad 1-Bit
Digital Filter: 8-Times Oversampling
DRIVE Distortion Reduction Circuitry
0-Bit Mute
Digital Optimum Servo Control
Precision Digital Timing (DPAC)
Plays 3" (8cm) CDs without Adapters
CD Text
Disc Naming: 10 Discs
Random Play
Repeat Play
Intro Scan
Play/Pause

Changer Control Features

Changer Control: 2 + Aux (w/KCA-S210A or compatible changer)
CD Text
Disc Naming
Disc Name Preset Play
Play Time Display
Random Play: Disc, Magazine
Repeat: Track, Disc
Scan: Track, Disc
Direct Disc & Track Access: with Remote

Tuner Features

Kenwood CR-2 Advanced Tuner
High-Speed Multipath Control (CRSC) with ANRC
Station Naming: 24 Stations
Station Name Preset Play: with Remote
Station Presets: 24 (18 FM, 6 AM)
Automatic Memory Entry
Seek Tuning
Tuner Mode Antenna Control

General Features

Motorized Faceplate
System E's+ Advanced Crossover System
Front and Rear RCA Preouts: Gold-Plated
Independent Non-Fading Output with Level Control and Defeat
Attenuator with Smooth Volume Return: -20dB
Electronic Audio Control (Volume, Balance, Fader, Bass, Treble)
Source Tone Memory: including Non-Fading Level
Loudness Control
Front/Rear Fader
LCD Display: Multi-Color, with Fluorescent Backlight
Display Readout: 12-Character Dot Matrix
Spectrum Analyzer Display
Display Dimmer: 3-Step
Auto Dimmer Wire
Touch-Tone Keys: Defeatable
Clock
Full-Function 10-Key Remote
Iso-Mount Capability for Japanese Vehicles

Bought before it was even shown in Crutchfield ... I want to go a different route ... so I need to sell this first ...

$550 OBO

Kevin
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Lowest price I found was here...
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/illtakeit/kdcmp8017.html

$299 + 3-day select was $331 and it got here in two days. That's $30 less than Crutchfield, but of course they give free harnesses, if you need one.

Your other options are the Sony CDX-MP450X at $399 (Crutchfield)



the Kenwood eXcelon Z919 (shown above) @ $549 (Crutchfield)

the Panasonic CQ-SRX7000U @ $1,299 (Crutchfield... only plays secure digital memory cards with stored MP3s, though)



the JVC KD-SH99 @ $399 (Crutchfield)



the Aiwa CDC-MP3 @ $299 (Crutchfield)



and the Aiwa CDC-MP32 @ $399 (also Crutchfield)



Told ya the Aiwa player were ugly... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOW :eek: someone finally replied. i'd been checking and was thinking none one cared...but to my suprise. thanks for the detailed post you given me Jim. i know it must took you some time their to do for a stranger. i'm glad you like it and i'll follow your link.

thanks again,
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Oh haha ... yeah that was taken w/ my digi cam ... i have no idea why it took such shitty pics that day ... it's never taken any like that before :confused:
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Originally posted by tt4playn:
<STRONG>WOW :eek: someone finally replied. i'd been checking and was thinking none one cared...but to my suprise. thanks for the detailed post you given me Jim. i know it must took you some time their to do for a stranger. i'm glad you like it and i'll follow your link.

thanks again,</STRONG>
No problem, glad I could help out. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
$550 that is what this deck costs new? are there any scratches, missing pieces, snipped wires with this deck? I might be interested, but for A LOT less.

Originally posted by KevinSi:
<STRONG>I have this radio ... which is for sale ... the reason I'm selling ... just need some money really ... BEST MP3 PLAYER ON THE MARKET PEROID!

Kenwood Z919



$550 OBO

Kevin</STRONG>
[ April 12, 2001: Message edited by: dmora ]
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
dmora ... yeah I copied my post from another I made a while ago ... when it still sold in crutchfield for $650 ... the unit is in perfect working conditions with nothing wrong with it ... got all wires, nuts, bolts, book, etc with it ... first I need to find out how much the next radio I'm going to buy is going to cost ... then I can give you the price I want ... but here are some pics of mine ...



Kevin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
285 Posts
If you aren't in any hurry, I would wait a couple more months. I was looking in the 2001 Alpine catalog, and they've got a dual din mp3/cd player that is coming out in a few months that looks NICE. It's black, not silver like a lot of the other ones, but the graphics are better (almost 3D), and it's supposedly got a lot of good features, but the Alpine rep didn't seem to want to tell me a whole lot about it when I was looking at his catalog, and I couldn't find it on their website just now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
658 Posts
Originally posted by u2ez:
<STRONG>If you aren't in any hurry, I would wait a couple more months. I was looking in the 2001 Alpine catalog, and they've got a dual din mp3/cd player that is coming out in a few months that looks NICE. It's black, not silver like a lot of the other ones, but the graphics are better (almost 3D), and it's supposedly got a lot of good features, but the Alpine rep didn't seem to want to tell me a whole lot about it when I was looking at his catalog, and I couldn't find it on their website just now.</STRONG>
oh nice
someone needs to come out with a mp3/cd/dvd player with a monitor. Like that new kenwood that came out but one that plays .mp3s. I've got over 700 songs in .mp3 and i've got a 100gb hd full of mp3s, heh. It will fake me days to burn them so a regular cd player could play them. Much rather have a mp3 player so i can burn them as they are now, heh. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
651 Posts
I sell the Z919 for around $399

Please refrain from purchasing any products from Crutchfield if it is at all possible. Crutchfield has it's positives but I would think you should be able to enter a local car audio shop with a Crutchfield catalog and have no problem getting a MUCH better deal than through your local car audio retailer.

Besides, in most instances, you can leave with the product that day rather than wait for it to arrive at your door.

Also, if it screws up, you have a person to gp and talk to rather than some guy on a phone in WhereverthehellCrutchfieldis, USA.

As a independent car audio guy, I am a bit biased however. :)


Thomas Kenyon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
658 Posts
Originally posted by Thomas Kenyon:
<STRONG>I sell the Z919 for around $399

Please refrain from purchasing any products from Crutchfield if it is at all possible. Crutchfield has it's positives but I would think you should be able to enter a local car audio shop with a Crutchfield catalog and have no problem getting a MUCH better deal than through your local car audio retailer.

Besides, in most instances, you can leave with the product that day rather than wait for it to arrive at your door.

Also, if it screws up, you have a person to gp and talk to rather than some guy on a phone in WhereverthehellCrutchfieldis, USA.

As a independent car audio guy, I am a bit biased however. :)


Thomas Kenyon</STRONG>
Thomas, you know anything about a monitor + mp3 player?? I'd like to get a monitor, with a dvd player and it supports .mp3s. Im gonna have over 100gb of mp3s soon and dont feel like getting 70mb of mp3s on a cd, thats a LOT of cds and would much rather get 700mb of mp3 on a cd...i might end of getting a monitor/dvd player and then get the kenwood mp3 player...

kenwood overall which .mp3 player do you recommend?? I know aiwa, kenwood, and i think panasonic all have one out...which is the best?
 

·
NortheastCoatings.Net
Joined
·
254 Posts
I got the NEO 35 unit from "http://ssiamerica.com/products/neo35/"

I threw in a 60 gig EIDE hard drive into it. Wired it up to run off my SOny M650 unit.

This Neo 35 is great it slides out and slides into my PC, then all i have to do is drag and drop MP3's..

I currently have over 20gigs on music stored...
OTHER RADIO & AUDIO PICS


-AL


[ April 15, 2001: Message edited by: Al98t ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Originally posted by Thomas Kenyon:
<STRONG>I sell the Z919 for around $399

Please refrain from purchasing any products from Crutchfield if it is at all possible. Crutchfield has it's positives but I would think you should be able to enter a local car audio shop with a Crutchfield catalog and have no problem getting a MUCH better deal than through your local car audio retailer.

Besides, in most instances, you can leave with the product that day rather than wait for it to arrive at your door.

Also, if it screws up, you have a person to gp and talk to rather than some guy on a phone in WhereverthehellCrutchfieldis, USA.

As a independent car audio guy, I am a bit biased however. :)


Thomas Kenyon</STRONG>

But if i buy anything from you i still have to wait for it to get to my door. ;)

Where are you located? I'm in austin TX, and might be interested in getting the z919 from you.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top