Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i am just hoping someone will read this today and give me some insight as to what might be wrong.

First a lil background on the car, Its a 94 six speed with 109k on the od. So here is the deal i went single quite some time back. then 16 months ago the oil feedline to the turbo blew clean off leaving my car with no oil presure to support the engine or the turbo hence, screwed engine and screwed turbo (Greddy T-78 kit)

ok well i had the oportunity to buy a fairly new low milage 98 engine harness and ecu for a smokin good deal, so of course i did. i put the stock twins back on and droped it in the car. so now i have a 94 Chasis w/ a 98 spec engine harness and ECU.

here are some odities that i am runing into
1. the water temp guage is runin REAL hot but the radiator is cool to the touch! :( what in gods green earth could this be?? the radiator and both the upper and lower hoses are COLD. (this is the problem that worries me the most)

2. I keep popin fuses. the AMP2 fuse under the hook keeps blowin on me. i think i thas to do with the alternator (which acording to my blitz TT is putting out 15-16 volts way too high) so i take the alternator in to be tested and they are sayin it comes out fine(14.3V on the test machine). (the 98 and 94 alternators ARE IDENTICAL) this also seems to be causing a problem with the warning lights on the dash, when i rev the engine it lights up a few lights, then they go back down. this could also be a problem with the harness.

3. this might also be something to do with the high voltage coming out of the alternator but i seem to hit fuel cut. i didnt get to drive the car very far before the fuse blew, but it felt like i hit the boost cut @ about 2psi of boost??????? WTF?????

ne way there are other MISC probs im having but none that i am REALLY worried about. (one being i have to get my hands on a 98 Trac ECU to get trac functionality back if i want it) and a couple other lil things.

has anyone done a swap similar to this? what were the problems you ran into? does anyone have any helpful hint or ideas you could give me to help resolve these problems??

Please help if you can guys! :)
Much appreciate any help you can offer!

Anthony

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Didnt realize how long that was
Cliff notes: 1. the car is a 94 chasis with a 98 engine and harness.
2. coolant doesnt seem to flow the guage shows hot, but the radiator and upper/lower hoses are COLD
3. the alternator in the car is shoin 15-16 volts but on the test machine it shows 14.3
4. seem to hit boost cut @ 2 psi of boost

also any input on 98 engines in 94 cars would be great! :)

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see a few reads but no responces?? is there anyone i could call that might be able to help? i would really like to get my car on the road and right now this is holding me back :(

thanks guys

·
Registered
313 Posts
why dont you try and swap in the 94 ecu.
there might be a difference.
and for the fuse..try higher fuse rating.

hope that helps.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tried both the 98 and 94 ECU, no luck, checked the manual and they have the same fuse in both years, so putting in a larger fuse my fix that prob, but might fry other electronics! :

thanks though

·
Registered
458 Posts
Most people prefer to replace their OBD II stuff with OBD I because there are less hassles with tuning OBD I. You have gone the complete opposite direction.
I'm not quite understanding why you would replace the harness and ECU when the motor was what needed to be replaced.
I'd say put the original harness and ECU back in and go from there.
Did you also replace your engine with a 98?

You should be able to get the parts to fix that Mitsubishi turbo without too much hassle...

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
theman said:
Most people prefer to replace their OBD II stuff with OBD I because there are less hassles with tuning OBD I. You have gone the complete opposite direction.
I'm not quite understanding why you would replace the harness and ECU when the motor was what needed to be replaced.
I'd say put the original harness and ECU back in and go from there.
Did you also replace your engine with a 98?

You should be able to get the parts to fix that Mitsubishi turbo without too much hassle...
yes it was a complete 98 engine, and i wnat to use my 94 ECU, the only reason i have used the 98 is to be sure the problem was not with the OBDI OBDII thing.

as far as rebuilding the turbo Mitsubishi does not sell the parts required to repair the Greddy T78, T88 or T88H turbos. I left my turbo in the shop for 3 months while they fought tooth and nail with Mitsu. the deal is this turbo is a special on built for greddy. after speakin gwith charles at Greddy he informed me the only way to fix it was to buy a new turbo. so i sold what was left of hte kit to a friend whowas going to cut the flange and drop in a T04

Ne way, the reason i used the 98 harness over the 94 is due to the age and condition of my stock harness, decided to use the 98 since it was practicly brand new

i dont forsee it being a harness problem since the pinouts seem to be the same from 94-98 (from what i see any way)

·
Registered
165 Posts
well i put a 97 motor in my 93.5 and i had the same problem with the coolant gauge geting hot too but mine was just having air in the system and when it gets to the senser it would show it was getting hot when it really wasnt . to avoid all this there is a bleader valve that u are supposed to leave open while it is runing . hope that helps later

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
4N POWER said:
well i put a 97 motor in my 93.5 and i had the same problem with the coolant gauge geting hot too but mine was just having air in the system and when it gets to the senser it would show it was getting hot when it really wasnt . to avoid all this there is a bleader valve that u are supposed to leave open while it is runing . hope that helps later

U mean the one under the turbo;s on the block right? just want to be sure, i dont ever remeber having to do this before but then again i never had all the coolant out! :)
thank you for the info by the way

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just some ideas

for the problem with the high temp 4n has the right idea about the air in the system you can solve that by just running the motor with the rad cap off and basically forcing water into the system with a hose or they also sell air bleeder systems at most parts store to fix that. also make sure that you thermastat is working properly.. now as for your problem with the high voltage use a volt meter and take a reading at the batt. and at the alter. so you can determin if you are indeed getting to high of voltage and were it is coming from, try replacing the alter. with the one off of the 94 or just go by one and try it, if it doesn't change anything take it back and say it was the wrong one.. you can also check the voltage regulator, (don't know where it is but it should be in one of the service manuals out there somwhere) ....... As for the fuel cut worry about that after you fix the other problems first........ good luck and hope this helps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts