Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking about moving to georgia, was wondering about emissions and smog; does georgia have any? cost of living? thinking about lawercevile... what do you think. thinking about moving maybe next year. going to visit this summer. i currently live in michigan, getting tried of snow.

please input

·
Registered
609 Posts
No emissions or smog where I live and I don't think we have it anywhere in GA, it will definately be a change from the snow to this..

·
Track Junkie
1,581 Posts
There are emission & smog around metro Atlanta areas which are Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, Paulding, and Rockdale counties. For cars older than 96 where cars have OBDI, they will visual inspect if your car has a catlytic or not.
Cost of living is cheap if you don't live near downtown. More and more people are move down here, so cost of living might be going up soon.
We probably see snow once a year, and that's about it. However, Atlanta can get pretty hot in summer and cold in the winter lol.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AtlSupra said:
There are emission & smog around metro Atlanta areas which are Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, Paulding, and Rockdale counties. For cars older than 96 where cars have OBDI, they will visual inspect if your car has a catlytic or not.
Cost of living is cheap if you don't live near downtown. More and more people are move down here, so cost of living might be going up soon.
We probably see snow once a year, and that's about it. However, Atlanta can get pretty hot in summer and cold in the winter lol.

so cars that are older than 96 only needs a visual??? if so, that would be cool. where would you recommend living??? l like lawercevile, but that is in gwinnett county; where should i go see while down there??

·
Track Junkie
1,581 Posts
Cars older than 96 will need to pay $20-$25 for emission and while doing that they will take out their mirror and see if you have a catlytic converter. If you don't have it, you won't pass emission.
Lawrenceville is a medium sized city. Overall Gwinnett is a nice county. Here is a data of the city.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Lawrenceville-Georgia.html
Many people live in Alpharetta and Marietta area if you are planning to get a house here.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Here is the website to inform you of the emissions rules:

http://www.cleanairforce.com/

Basically, if you are 95 and below, you will have to pass a visual inspection and a "sniff" test, where they actually measure your emissions. If they are not within a certain range, you will fail.

If you are 96 and above, you will have to pass an ECU test. If you have any stored codes, you will fail. If not, you pass.

Keep in mind that this only applies to metro Atlanta counties. Counties outside of the metro area are not affected.

·
Registered
185 Posts
stokeless said:
the sniff test??? isn't that the same thing as smog test??

people with mods, how do you pass emission/smog??

:) Yeah, sniff, smog, same thing. I just wanted to specify that they will hook a device to your tailpipe.

I'm not sure what year you are, but to be general...

If you're 95 and lower, you will either need to keep your stock downpipe w/ cat and switch it out once a year to pass emissions, or get a downpipe that has a cat on it. Our VR-4 is a 94 and modded, so we just switch out the downpipes and it passes just fine.

If you're 96 and over, you don't have to have cats in place, because they won't check. Instead, you will need to purchase an oxygen sensor simulator to rid your ECU of any O2 related codes that a cat-less downpipe would give. Our Supra has no cat whatsoever and passes every time because of the O2 sim. I stash the SAFC under the seat just to avoid question, and I pass without issue.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have an older supra 89t. i have no cat , no egr and i know for sure it won't pass smog. lol
can you pay someone to pass you ( do not do this, this is illegal). what if you have an upgrade turbo, will this pass the visual.

the reason i am asking so many questions is because i used to live in san diego and love the sunshine but hated the cost of living. i moved to michigan 7 yrs ago and now the snow is getting to me. we have no emissions or smog but the econ sucks and the snow is driving me nuts. sorry for the rant

i heard alot about georgia and was considering moving, this is the reason behind the ???

thanks

·
Track Junkie
1,581 Posts
They don't check under the hood as far as I know of. Everything is like Sonya said, if no cat no pass emission for 95 and older cars. You can pay someone to pass it, but it's illegal here and not many people do that anymore. If you put back a stock cat and use some fuel management program you should be fine.

·
Registered
185 Posts
stokeless said:
the reason i am asking so many questions is because i used to live in san diego and love the sunshine but hated the cost of living. i moved to michigan 7 yrs ago and now the snow is getting to me. we have no emissions or smog but the econ sucks and the snow is driving me nuts. sorry for the rant

i heard alot about georgia and was considering moving, this is the reason behind the ???
Yeah, Michigan is all about the automotive industry, and the Big Three are taking huge hits right now. I work for Lear Corporation here in Atlanta, so I can feel your pain.

After living in San Diego, I'm not surprised to hear that Michigan just isn't cutting it. :)

As far as where to live - do you know where you're going to be working? Traffic in Atlanta can be ridiculous. I would try to choose where I lived accordingly. Also keep in mind that housing costs will vary slightly depending on which area of town you live in.

For emissions, I would suggest swapping out your exhaust components with stock ones when it's time for you to test. That would probably be easiest. You can find people that will make shady deals, but they are hard to come by.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i'd looked at the subs surrounding alt. and the housing is fair. i have a business degree; currently in real-estate and mortgage. we are thinking about coming down in july or aug to see if things will work out. i hate emissions but if the econ. and the overall living is there, i may have to bear with it

·
Banned
747 Posts
I have a triplex for sale if you are interested in rental property
www.batlground.com/house.html
The price is very negotiable. OUr tenants pay our mortgage and we live in the house. The only thing we end up paying is the taxes on it. We are moving because we just bought a new shop and we would rather not commute.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nice place, thanks for the offer but we're not sure if we're moving just thinking about it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts