Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
New to the forum and happy to be here. Anyone got any leads on finding parts. I'm searching for a fuel tank at the moment. Any tips on site to search would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Anmiddle, I wish I had good news for you, but unfortunately I really don't. This is one of those items that Toyota really should be seriously considering for their reproduction parts efforts. Unfortunately so many cars have sat with fuel (and the water that finds its way into the fuel) in the tank for a long time, and the rust and corrosion that results does awful things to the tank.

I ended up putting a fuel cell in my car. It was a pain, largely unnecessary, and my rear interior is more than a bit odd, in regards to my trunk floor, but at least my fuel tank was nice and new! ATL will, if you send them a stock tank, create a replacement fuel cell that fits in the same fashion. HOWEVER... it's not gonna be cheap. If I recall, they quoted me approximately $2800. On the plus side, once the R&D was done, a large part of that expense goes away, so everyone after that can buy replacement tanks from ATL for reasonable money.

Good luck!

·
Registered
130 Posts
My local pick a part has been a good source for me; I signed on to get notifications when Mk3 Supra's arrive at their various yards.
Good luck and welcome to SF.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks
Anmiddle, I wish I had good news for you, but unfortunately I really don't. This is one of those items that Toyota really should be seriously considering for their reproduction parts efforts. Unfortunately so many cars have sat with fuel (and the water that finds its way into the fuel) in the tank for a long time, and the rust and corrosion that results does awful things to the tank.

I ended up putting a fuel cell in my car. It was a pain, largely unnecessary, and my rear interior is more than a bit odd, in regards to my trunk floor, but at least my fuel tank was nice and new! ATL will, if you send them a stock tank, create a replacement fuel cell that fits in the same fashion. HOWEVER... it's not gonna be cheap. If I recall, they quoted me approximately $2800. On the plus side, once the R&D was done, a large part of that expense goes away, so everyone after that can buy replacement tanks from ATL for reasonable money.

Good luck!
Thanks Brad,
Not the news I was hoping for course but definitely good information and I appreciate it. I'll keep you posted on what I come up with.

Thanms

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Sounds good, keep us posted.

If you do decide to go the fuel cell route, I'd recommend finding one that you fill from the side, or an offset fill neck. Might be able to retain the stock fuel door, vent, fuel line routing, all of that. Given that most cells are rectangular or square, you would probably have to eliminate your spare tire well and flatten out the trunk floor, or run a really small tank if you don't wanna do that.

It's not a real fun situation all around, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1987 Pearl White Turbo R154
21 Posts
I met a guy on instagram through @mk3_supra_parts his username is @idoubbleyou he has quite a few supras that he parts out. Might be worth checking if he has any.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts