Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm in the market for an MKIV Supra this year. My ideal spec is a Blk/Blk or Tan 6spd/TT Targa Top preferably a 97-98. I finally have an income that I feel I can support owning one. I've always wanted the 97-98s mainly because of the ease of OBD2 and the look of the headlights/taillights but they are also generally priced much higher than the 93-96s. What are the pros/cons on the differences aside from cosmetics such as the crossbar on the front bumper, and turn signals? I imagine the 93-98 are easier to mod, I'd like to stay in the 600hp range and don't plan to do any major mods to go above that. Should I be going for one over the other?

·
Super Moderator
10,278 Posts
No. Get the cleanest car you can find that meets your budget and goals for the car and buy it. If you want 600 whp, you will likely consider standalone engine management so whether or not the car is OBD1 or OBD2 is not a factor with which you should concern yourself.

MY 93-95 USDM cars are the pick of the litter if you must make a choice, as there was some corporate decontenting and $10k price reductions to move the 97 and 98 cars. Still the motor, transmissions, LSDs, body panels and many other things remained the same throughout the car's USDM life cycle. As to head lights and tail lights of the 97/98 cars, you can always retrofit them to the 93-95 cars as shown below with my '95:

Ken.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,230 Posts
97-98 got cheaper 3-channel ABS (vs. the 93-96 4-channel ABS). That alone would (did) lead me to the 93-96 models. Like Ken said, the cosmetic stuff (lights) from the 97-98s are easy to put onto the 93-96s (direct fit with minor modifications for the front turn signals).

·
Registered
76 Posts
I believe 97-98 TT's also have smaller diameter axles(check the diff sticky thread).
I agree, 93-96 TTs are the ones to get.
The ecu in the MKIV can't safely deal with 600whp without all the bs piggy back modules that were common up until this last decade.
At 600whp you'll want to be able to monitor IATs, fuel psi, injector duty, AFRs, possibly install smart coils, logging, etc. None of these things can be done reliably(correctly) without a proper/modern standalone. Therefore don't worry about the OBD2. If you get a 93-95 the 25yr rule exempts you from emissions inspection.

581 Posts
or just buy mine. Alpine Silver (199) 94 RHD TT 6spd, currently sitting in a garage away from the cold.

·
I Can Has EBT?
3,274 Posts
At this point of time, just find the cleanest one you can find. If you plan on modding it, look for already tuned model, especially if you plan on going single with standalone. I would imagine you do not want to shell out big $$$ for stock clean example and start modding.

Year does not matter, unless you want a OEM colors that were specific. this chart should help. MKIV PAINT CODES

Best of luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts