Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a supra na, and I was wondering if you guys would know how Supras andle in snow? I realize that it is a RWD car, but I was just wondering if I would have to buy a new vehichle for the winter..

· Let's Do This
546 Posts
I lived in north Ohio for a while with my 96 NA auto... Winters up there are pretty crappy so I know all about driving my supra in the snow. I think they do fairly well!! If you have good tires and don't try to gun it every time you accelerate you should be fine. One of the main reasons I'd suggest buying a winter car... snowy conditions wreak havoc on a car with all the temperature changes, salt and sand on the roads etc. Supras are too nice to put them through that. I regretted driving mine but I was young and couldn't afford the Supra as it was.. I definitely couldn't afford a winter driver. Good luck! Drive easy.... and wash all the salt off the car asap-

· Band on the Run
2,612 Posts
NO DONT DO IT. SUPRAS ARE TERRIBLE IN THE SNOW. driving in the rain is even bad but its easily manageable if you drive slow and stay out of boost. But in the Snow its a terrible choice to drive it. I drove my supra in the snow once and it was only because it started snowing on my way home and you fishtail everywhere and its very hazardous. I ended up just parking the car on my street and didnt move it until I was able to shovel the snow from the end of my street all the way up to my driveway.

· Registered
290 Posts
yeah Dont ever drive your supra in the snow! I learned the hard way and fishtailed right into a snowbank and took out my whole customed molded blitz sideskirt,fender, and some of my front bumper. it was fuckt

· Registered
18 Posts
i think someone on here once said: "try to imagine a racoon on ice skates." Theres a local storage center near me, they say their winter business is nothing but imports. Ive never tried it because previous owner told me my car was never drivin in the salt on purpose, so Im keeping that tradition. Plus i have a 4wd durango and i enjoy drving it in the snow.

· Exiled Supra Owner
3,986 Posts
If you have money, get a cheap FWD with snow tires. If you really have money, AWD with snow tires. If your that cheap, set of wheels with snow tires. If your broke, good luck.

· Found E85 NOT in NJ!
8,732 Posts
Come to Wayne, and I will teach you how to drive your supra in the snow.

I have done it for years even though I had another car. Its so much fun. I know how bad salt is on rims but I had these shitty ass rims anyways that came from the previous owner.

· Registered
7,853 Posts
What the hell, are people that bad at driving that they can not drive in the snow????

I am proof that it CAN drive in the snow.

South Dakota Winters for two years and then 98-01 with Minnesota winter. Never ever ditched the supra in either case. Actually never had a problem! Why? One, well aware of the cars limitation. Mind you that I was also TURBO!! Two all-seasons should be relabled to all-seasons except winter. Snow tires. DONE.

· Registered
444 Posts
I agree with figgie...I live in CT and while we don't see huge snow storms we do get at least 3 or 4 storms that put down 8" plus...I have a FWD daily for those but twice last year I took out the supra because I had to just test it...both times I found it to be doable, but you have to be very careful. I found that the supra gave a lot less "warning feel" that you were about to lose control...you either were in control tracking straight, or ass sidedownwards heading into a bank, much different than my DD or my old S10 pickup where you would feel it starting to get away from you. This is with stock size Bridgestone Potenza RE750 summer tires warn about 50% on an NA Auto...so it's doable, and after the first storm I had learned the feel of the car and had a much more fun/easy time during the second storm...regardless if your on stock size non winter tires you wont be going very fast anyways....the second time out I was more scared of other people not seeing me and hitting me (Super White sup)..than I was of crashing.

· 2JZ NA-T
7,624 Posts
^^tires tires tires.

as long as you have the right tires i dont see why it cant be done..... i personally wish there was more damn snow here in charlotte nc..... i take it out all the time, so much fun, but easily controllable... everyone is affraid of the rain as well... just know your car, have good tires, and respect the conditions... i always drive my car in the rain. and up untill recently have never had a single proplem, but now that my tires are going bad, my car was getting to a point where i had to do about 40mph on the highway with the hard downpour of rain after sliding across 2 lanes, but no biggie, just kicked out a lil.

so anyways, just get some tires, and take it easy on the car, and respect the road.

· Registered
2,467 Posts
Its funny reading this thread because you can tell who is smart and who is a dumbass. No dont drive the supra in the snow. I dont care how much experience you have, you cant overcome physics. Stuff like highway turn ramps and especially unshowled roads will be horrible for RWD. Your going to put yourself in a much greater chance of fishtailing/spinning out and of just plan getting stuck in the snow.

· Registered
426 Posts
Its funny reading this thread because you can tell who is smart and who is a dumbass. No dont drive the supra in the snow. I dont care how much experience you have, you cant overcome physics. Stuff like highway turn ramps and especially unshowled roads will be horrible for RWD. Your going to put yourself in a much greater chance of fishtailing/spinning out and of just plan getting stuck in the snow.
youre a dumbass on CL and youre a dumbass on here. please stop posting.

overcome physics? tell that to rally drivers that drove e30 m3's

this is in sweden: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh3Z_s1dIy8

you suck at driving and you proved it yourself on CL.

its all about tire choice and knowing your car. get some blizzak's and youre golden.

just because you dont/cant drive your car in the snow doesnt make you smart...

· Registered
2,467 Posts
youre a dumbass on CL and youre a dumbass on here. please stop posting.

overcome physics? tell that to rally drivers that drove e30 m3's

this is in sweden: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh3Z_s1dIy8

you suck at driving and you proved it yourself on CL.

its all about tire choice and knowing your car. get some blizzak's and youre golden.

just because you dont/cant drive your car in the snow doesnt make you smart...
This isnt a bmw.. Its not that its RWD but that it just sucks on rain/snow. Its the car thats the problem.

And your one to talk, your car is a beater, so it doesnt really matter if you hit anything because it cant get any worse.

· Registered
90 Posts
I drove mine in the snow when I had no choice and I never really had any problems. Except for really steep hills, it would sometimes lose traction going up. But as long as you're careful and don't have summer tires you should be fine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.