Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned, jk lol
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel gauge seems to be inaccurate when it comes to the reading. I'll fill it up, drive for a bit, then it will jump to a little more than half, and then go back up, down, and whatever. Also, it seems the warning light for low fuel won't come on. Maybe that is because of the gauges inaccuracy?

-Matt

·
DFWSupras
1,627 Posts
more then likely the fuel sender unit in the tank is faulty. It's not that difficult to get to it and replace it.

·
Banned, jk lol
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SupraGuy88T said:
more then likely the fuel sender unit in the tank is faulty. It's not that difficult to get to it and replace it.
Where can I get a new one at? I've been thinking about taking my car to your shop soon anyways, for some other stuff besides this.

-Matt

·
DFWSupras
1,627 Posts
new only from Toyota ...but I'm sure it's expensive. You can try one form a salvage or form someone on the board.

·
Banned, jk lol
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SupraGuy88T said:
new only from Toyota ...but I'm sure it's expensive. You can try one form a salvage or form someone on the board.
Ah ok. People have said that taking the old one out and cleaning it will fix the problem as well.

-Matt

·
Us And Them
1,038 Posts
what about a gauge that registeres 3/4 no matter how much you fill it?
same issue?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Does the gauge stay at 3/4 all the time or does it go down once it has less than 3/4 in the tank? If it goes down after it has less than that in the tank it may have something to do with your "floater" in the tank. If it doesn't move at all it would propably be the something electrical.

·
Us And Them
1,038 Posts
yeah it goes down after 3/4.

...and on my car, i don't think the gas light comes on anymore, what causes that?
we took the gas out with a siphon and still no light but the tank is below E... maybe it's not low enough but we couldnt get anmore gas.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Have you made sure that the floater can move freely all the way up and down? I recently swapped tanks from my totalled car to a shell. I put my good stuff into the rolling chasis and the floater in the tank of the new car was rusted and wouldnt move at all. Have you checked for any codes? If there even are codes for such a problem... (???)

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
the warning light is a seperate sensor below the float and yes it seems that the float will either stick or be too loose to work the gauge... mine is also a bit off, but I live with it...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts