Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Sheep on the hood...
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car was fine all summer long. Then for some reason as soon as we got into 40s and 30s, I've been having starting problems.

I have to crank the engine 4-6 times before it will start.
It only happens somedays and not every day (very sporadic) - and only happens in the morning (1st time you start the car that day)

After the first start, I can just jump in and start it no problem for the rest of the day. I don't have any CELs, and my car has new plugs (the problem existed before the new plugs).

·
pirates like cookies
702 Posts
doesn't matter if it's 100 degree's, or 30 degree's, mine always takes about 3-4 cranks before it starts

·
Sheep on the hood...
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rwsupra.com said:
Get a new battery. That is most likely your problem.

Ryan
Nope.
Battery gauge is at 14-16 volts
Battery is brand new.

·
Sheep on the hood...
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Verge said:
doesn't matter if it's 100 degree's, or 30 degree's, mine always takes about 3-4 cranks before it starts
doesn't that kill your starter?

·
Registered
898 Posts
i have this same problem, when it was a bit warmer my car started like fine.. i have a brand new battery and the first time i start my car i have a little trouble. i have to turn the key a few times. and the rest of the day it starts fine.. i dont know what is up with it..

·
Registered
441 Posts
Verge said:
Verge, sounds like you will need a new starter in the near future :D

be ready to fork up 200 bux just for the starter...

Flipn (just changed my afew weeks ago)

·
b00st junkie
433 Posts
I've never had this problem until about a month ago. After an autoX on Saturday, I parked the car when I got home. Sunday afternoon I was getting ready to drive to work, jumped in the car like normal, turned the key and got nothing. Radio and lights came on, but it didn't even crank. Tried this a couple times, finally started on the 3rd try. This has happened 3 times and is starting to bother me. Latest occurrence was Saturday night. Sunday when I started the car it cranked real quick but didn't start. Started up nicely on second try. Does anybody know what is causing this on our cars? Seems like all of us are starting to have this problem as the winter is coming down on us.

·
Sheep on the hood...
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my car does crank.
it's just that it doesn't want to "catch" on for the first couple of times

·
I rock like CRACK
1,010 Posts
Prolly just need to replace the contacts in the starter, cost you like 20$

G

·
Also check into a new cap and rotor. Starter, don't spend any money on it. Take it out. Take it apart. Get some electric motor cleaner and just spray two whole cans on it and through it. Let it dry for about an hour. Put it back together and it will be as good as new.

Ryan

·
Registered
730 Posts
also check the battery terminals. any signs of corrosion can cost you a clean start. i tried all the above suggested to no avail before i tried the terminals. Once i got them on it started perfect and had no problems since. $3 at autozone and 2 minutes to install.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts