Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some key spots to check of where some bad connections would be?

I bought the car with them already installed, and after he installed them he said they don't come on. So I have to tear the dash apart and get back in there to fix them. Any ideas?

·
Registered
853 Posts
When you turn on the lights, is there a little glow around the needle area?

If that's the case, most likely you have a wire loose. I'm guessing it's the ground. Follow the instructions on the MKIV website tech articles on how to install a SPI boost gauge to take your dash apart.. once you do that, follow the wires to see how the person installed the indiglo gauges. I think a common thing is to tap into the ashtray light.. check to see that that connection is ok.. if the previous owner didn't secure the tap with electrical tape, i would do that now. Also check the ground wire to make sure it is secure.. or you could try moving it around to see if he just didn't find a good spot.

If there is no glow, most likely you didn't turn up the brightness on the indiglo gauge controller AND the regular dash light dimmer.

Good luck..
-Brian.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MoogieBoogie said:
When you turn on the lights, is there a little glow around the needle area?

If that's the case, most likely you have a wire loose. I'm guessing it's the ground. Follow the instructions on the MKIV website tech articles on how to install a SPI boost gauge to take your dash apart.. once you do that, follow the wires to see how the person installed the indiglo gauges. I think a common thing is to tap into the ashtray light.. check to see that that connection is ok.. if the previous owner didn't secure the tap with electrical tape, i would do that now. Also check the ground wire to make sure it is secure.. or you could try moving it around to see if he just didn't find a good spot.

If there is no glow, most likely you didn't turn up the brightness on the indiglo gauge controller AND the regular dash light dimmer.

Good luck..
-Brian.
Funny you mention that very slight glow. I saw that tonight. It is on the center gauge (rpm). I will check that tomorrow when I tear the dash apart.

Thanks for your help. ;)

edit: I forgot to mention, none of the dash lights work, for the boost gauge, the temp controls, none of that.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
go to mkiv.com they have a whole page on this how and where to conect it to try that first its your best bet ;)

well here is the direct link
click here for the mkiv.com indiglow link

best of luck keep us up to date!

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
badmuthrfkr said:

No, I live on a hill so I just coast down and pop the clutch to start it. :fawk:
That may be one of the funniest comments yet!! hahaahaha

jay

·
259 Posts
badmuthrfkr said:

I forgot to mention, none of the dash lights work, for the boost gauge, the temp controls, none of that.
Hau,

Not to sound dumb but if non of your dash lights are working..strart with the obvious and make sure the dimmer switch on the dash isnt turned way down. This would cause the gauges to not glow obviously. As far as wiring the gauges, I had a pair of indiglos hooked up via the ashtray method and the gauges wouldnt work properly. I went ahead and spliced into the wires coming out of the dimmer switch and they worked much better.

Hope this helps!

Jeff M

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jeff M said:

Hau,

Not to sound dumb but if non of your dash lights are working..strart with the obvious and make sure the dimmer switch on the dash isnt turned way down. This would cause the gauges to not glow obviously. As far as wiring the gauges, I had a pair of indiglos hooked up via the ashtray method and the gauges wouldnt work properly. I went ahead and spliced into the wires coming out of the dimmer switch and they worked much better.

Hope this helps!

Jeff M
Howard and I tore the dash apart today. The vampire taps used near the ashtray light were kinda cheap ones. Ended up being a blown fuse under the driver kick panel. 10amp fuse. Everything works now. :)

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
great to here the news !never hurts to chech someone else work ! again congrats!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts