Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!!!!!!!!! I have (had) an Infinity Perfect 10.1 in my F-150. I think the vc is fried or something. I have it mounted in a downfire, sealed box. I have a PPI 2360 amp powering it. The other day, it started cutting out, and finally quit working alltogether. The sub is definitely the problem. I had the amp close to maxed out. Any ideas on what could have caused this? I want to put another in cause it is the best sounding speaker I have ever had, but I am afraid to blow up another one.

Please help!

T

·
0 Posts
How much power were you putting into it?

Are you sure it's the sub and not the amp?

The power handling on them in crazy that's why I ask. Unless you pound it day and night putting 700 watts into it, I doubt it would just blow. Their peak is 1400watts. RMS it's about 500watt's.

·
4,417 Posts
Reggie said:
HELP!!!!!!!!!! I have (had) an Infinity Perfect 10.1 in my F-150. I think the vc is fried or something. I have it mounted in a downfire, sealed box. I have a PPI 2360 amp powering it. The other day, it started cutting out, and finally quit working alltogether. The sub is definitely the problem. I had the amp close to maxed out. Any ideas on what could have caused this? I want to put another in cause it is the best sounding speaker I have ever had, but I am afraid to blow up another one.

Please help!
Are you sure it's not the amp? Double check your ground. I had something similar happen... it turned out my ground had a little corrosion on it so it flow the necessary current and was clipping.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the amp maxed which is rated at 360 watts. The PPI's are usually underrated, so I would say close to 400. Not sure what that equals rms wise.

I am positive it's the sub as I used an Ohm meter and I hooked up an old substation to the amp and it works.

Thanks

T

·
0 Posts
How old is the sub? That is not nearly enough power to fry a voice coil on that sub. It might be warrantied. I would check into that before buying another one. Infinity might just replace it for nothing. I would give them a call.

Or , I think I can get that sub for like 180$

·
Moderator, Live life to the fulllest
1,764 Posts
Its your voice coil I had two of them and the vc went bad. They sound great but they suck because they blow. Just send them back to the place you bought them

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replys!

Allright fellas! I took it to my local Infinity dealer cause I was just gonna buy another one. Luckilly he looked at it before he took my money and discovered that one of the leads had pulled mostly off of the tab. It still looked connected, so I didn't think anything of it.

So to make a long story short, I got it fixed for $15!

97TTDawg, maybe you should take a closer look at yours. Just hook an ohm meter up to em and jiggle the leads. My rep told me that it was common on the earlier models, but Infinity has since lenghtened the leads.

Thanks again!

·
Moderator, Live life to the fulllest
1,764 Posts
i just took mine back to the place that i bought them and they replaced them no questions asked. Just had to have my receipt.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats cool, Dawg.

I bought mine on e-bay used, so I didn't have that option. All good though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts