Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, ANOTHER thread by me about infinity questions. Are you guys sick of them yet? Searched but I came up empty.:nervous:

I am getting close to the end of my build (or so I think) and after a year of researching I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on my ecu which I have narrowed down to an infinity (likely 6 or 8h, let's not turn this into an infinity vs v2 vs proefi, vs potatotuner debate).

Anyway, since I am not a professional Supra builder or even a competent individual (I know it's hard to believe). My plan was to get the car limping around on spring pressure (13psi) before taking it to the dyno (5 hours away), paying for a remote tuner only to find out that I wired the fuel pump to the brake lights or some such thing. I'd also like to ensure the clutch is worn in properly before cranking it up to 10,000,001whp.

Anywho, I have two friends locally that tuned vehicles in the past. One on a V2 and one on various Subaru things. My hope is that with the 3 of our brains working together that we will finally be able to screw in that pesky light bulb and also at least get the car to idle and/or limp it's way to Wal-Mart and back a few times.

I believe the infinity comes with some degree of basemap on it, but I'm looking to you guys for your feedback on how good this basemap is and if I should look into getting a more specific basemap sent to me for my application? Are there any retailers that offer this service if I purchase the ECU from them? Or anyone on here that could supply me with a more specific "basemap"? (I understand it won't be for free) Or is this even required?

If it matters my setup is as follows.

Was a NA auto now a
Stock GTE 3.0 Longblock, VVTI.
Cast manifold
PTE 67/68
two walbro 255s.
precision 1260cc injectors.
R154.
Aeromotive fpr.
4" exhaust.
"black cherry" air freshener.

I think that's all that will be pertinent, but if there is more, let me know.

thx dudes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Unless anything has changed infinity does not come with a base map you have to start from scratch and there's quite a bit of setup to infinity most have trouble if there not familiar with it.

A friend of mine just had his car remotely setup by Vlad @ National Speed he should be able to help you out or many of the vendors on this forum.

·
Registered
282 Posts
There are several basemaps available from AEM.
When you install Infinity Tuner it will include a folder with base sessions, including 2 for the Supra:
- Toyota - 2JZ VVTi
- Toyota - Supra MT 3.5 Bar MAP

After calibrating your sensors, injectors, throttle,...you should be able to get the car running.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
It's pretty easy to get running decently well after you put in the correct engine parameters in the wizard. Just follow the user manual. Read it a few times.
Do you have the 36-2 trigger wheel or is it a regular 2jz wheel?

I've been driving mine "untuned" for 500 miles, boosting, etc.

I would also strongly recommend running your fuel pumps off spare High Side outputs rather than the stock fuel ecu. Mine kept cutting out.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 36 trigger. Indeed I was planning on wiring them direct!

·
Registered
807 Posts
The vendor who sold you the ECU should be able to help if this thread isn't enough to get you started. This is part of the reason why we provide a complimentary base map with every ECU we sell.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Matt, I haven't bought the ecu yet but that's exactly the kind of thing I wanted to hear. I was looking to get the v2 from you guys before changing my mind to the Infinity. Looks like you'll be getting my infinity business as well. Thanks!

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
At least on my car the base map has been pretty close. I don't think I've made any corrections over 10% yet. With the lambda correction on the car drove like stock out of the box. The tuning is relatively easy. The hard part is getting the ECU happy with the setup of everything to get it driveable. There isn't a lot of information out there so you kind of have to figure it out yourself or hope the AEM guys will answer your questions.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi Matt, I haven't bought the ecu yet but that's exactly the kind of thing I wanted to hear. I was looking to get the v2 from you guys before changing my mind to the Infinity. Looks like you'll be getting my infinity business as well. Thanks!
Alpha just tuned my car and I couldn't be happier. The car feels so much smoother from the previous tune and runs great. If you buy from them I would definitely suggest alpha for your tune!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At least on my car the base map has been pretty close. I don't think I've made any corrections over 10% yet. With the lambda correction on the car drove like stock out of the box. The tuning is relatively easy. The hard part is getting the ECU happy with the setup of everything to get it driveable. There isn't a lot of information out there so you kind of have to figure it out yourself or hope the AEM guys will answer your questions.
Thanks for the feedback.

Alpha just tuned my car and I couldn't be happier. The car feels so much smoother from the previous tune and runs great. If you buy from them I would definitely suggest alpha for your tune!
Did you remote tune?

I think you will be surprised how easy it is to get the started and running.

It is paramount that you have decent injectors and correct injector data.
I hope so! I have precision 1260s, low impedance but that's about all I know unfortunately. Should I send them to be tested? What other data would I need?

·
King Ding-a-ling!
3,195 Posts
I am sure that you can find precision flow rates and dead times on the internets, but nothing beats having them tested.

On another note, I will be switching to ID injectors in the future. Look them up and check out what they do. It's pretty impressive and worth the extra money.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yes remote tune

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am sure that you can find precision flow rates and dead times on the internets, but nothing beats having them tested.

On another note, I will be switching to ID injectors in the future. Look them up and check out what they do. It's pretty impressive and worth the extra money.
Will look into it thanks. Seams everyone is running IDs. At this point I really don't know enough about injectors to know the differences. I've heard some people says IDs are just overpriced Bosch injectors. Then other people swear by them.

Yes remote tune
Cool, I'm definitely leaning towards that option.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Awesome. Let me know whenever you're ready!

·
King Ding-a-ling!
3,195 Posts
Will look into it thanks. Seams everyone is running IDs. At this point I really don't know enough about injectors to know the differences. I've heard some people says IDs are just overpriced Bosch injectors. Then other people swear by them.
I used to think the same thing, but there is much more to it than just re branding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UZ6wYTjUpo

·
Registered
299 Posts
My vote is ID for 1300s +
But for 1000s just the normal bosch ones

I used to buy id1000s for projects until one time i tried a set of bosch ones and had good luck and my tuner is willing to work with them unlike some other injector choices where he will flat out not tune.

·
Going for broke
622 Posts
Unless you are considering changing your injectors to high impedance, you will need to go with the infinity 6.

As an infinity 6 user, here are some things to be aware of:
- there are some mislabeled infinity 6 boxes that come out of the box with wrong information (serial numbers or passcodes that don't match)...AEM claims my serial number is an infinity 7, but it runs infinity 6 software and needed an infinity 10 passcode, so...
- there are a couple places making PNP harnesses for the MKIV Supra infinity 6 combo...spend the money.
- even with one of these harnesses, you may find there are inputs missing for items installed or removed on your car (i.e. I had to add fuel pump relays and electric fan accessory relay). They make them assuming you have all factory wiring in place. If you do not or you have added things, prepare to spend some time wiring.
- my harness had injector inputs in the wrong locations (probably because AEM screwed up my ecu to begin with but that's another issue) and it took some brain power to figure it why it wouldn't start.
- use a knowledgable tuner, as the system can be picky.
- don't forget to buy the second wideband sensor for the internal fail safe.

Once I got past all these hurdles, the 6 works very well but did not cost any less (probably cost me more) than the 8/10.

Now, to stay positive, I may be one of a very few whose had issues with the AEM infinity, but it was nothing short of a bitch from the start. So hopefully your experience will be smoother.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts