Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that there is a new T88 turbo out there that spools like a T78, but puts out power like a T88. Is this true and does ANYONE have any experience with it?? Please give me the scoop! PEACE!

A

·
0 Posts
I don't see how.

The T78 IS a hybrid turbo. It's a Mitsubishi TD07 turbine side with a Mitusbishi TD08 compressor side. See the 7 and the 8? That's where T78 came from.

The T88 is a TD08 turbine and compressor, basically it's a TD08.

·
Super Moderator, Piss me off. I dare you.
12,619 Posts
AnArKey is correct. The only thing they may have done is used a turbine wheel with a different configuration than standard in the same TD08 housing.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, thats the one!!

I cannot find the thread because of the stupid 4 letter minimum search (VPC, ITC, GCC, T78, T88....lol...useless search feature for any of these and more...lol). It was a T88 ball bearing or something. Any info please!! Thanks!

·
12,619 Posts
Nope. No T88 ball-bearing available. The turbo you are refering to is a prototype T88-H being used by a race team. It actually DOES have a ball-bearing center section, but supposedly is the only one in the country. It is probably on a big dog's car, such as Papadakis or Rau. :(

BTW, Turbonetics offers a ball-bearing TD05. Maybe they can develop a ball-bearing TD07 or TD08. That would be sweet!

·
0 Posts
you can, have any turbo you want , ball bearing'ed, just send it in.

2 RIP
come on, don't give me that shit, only 1.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I could...

buy a T88 and send it in to someone and say I want it to meet the specs of the T88-H, and it could be done?? That would be sweet, but how much and where? Thanks! Peace!

·
12,619 Posts
LOL! :D Well, all-knowing 2 RIP, where do you just "send it in"? :rolleyes: The Mitsubishi cartridge is very different from a Garrett. Turbonetics charges over $600 retail for the ball-bearing upgrade on a TD05 unit. It was completely engineered from scratch, as it was never offered in a Mitsubishi turbo. Mitsu turbos use a much more modern design center section, and do not suffer from the same inherent frictional power losses as a Garrett. No need for a ball-bearing Mitsu turbo, really. Turbonetics, Innovative Turbo, Texas Turbo, Majestic, TEC, HRC, and Precision Turbo do NOT do ball-bearing Mitsu conversions.

So tell us, 2 RIP, where do we go for ball-bearing Mitsu turbos? :D

And, yes, "only one". Not so hard to believe since Greddy sponsors the racers I mentioned above. :rolleyes: This was already discussed in another "T88 Ball Bearing" thread. Duh...

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
I don't think it's that easy... Would be nice though. As far as benefit vs. cost, you'd be better off finding an off the shelf turbo.

2 RIP said:
you can, have any turbo you want , ball bearing'ed, just send it in.

2 RIP
come on, don't give me that shit, only 1.

·
2jzge 6spd
133 Posts
AnArKey said:
I don't see how.

The T78 IS a hybrid turbo. It's a Mitsubishi TD07 turbine side with a Mitusbishi TD08 compressor side. See the 7 and the 8? That's where T78 came from.

The T88 is a TD08 turbine and compressor, basically it's a TD08.

What downpipe works with this T78 Hybrid? (TD07-18A same thing?) I have the TD07-18A which has TD07 turbine with TD08 compressor

1 - 12 of 12 Posts