Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I am looking to buy a new turbo and am really interested by the Gt40R.
What do you guys think about this turbo?
I've searched and cannot find any good posts and would like any feedback.
A lot of people seem to like this turbo but not many supra people are running this.

I don't care about massive hp but would like good streetable power all the time.
Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
455 Posts
Tim,
The gt40 is an excellent turbo for the street. Its Dual ball bearing to help with the spooling. Its good for 700+ hp and alot of top end for highway pulls. Im ordering it for somone else right now and will try and get some more info for you tommarow. With all these new products coming out I think VWR header, garret gt40R, and a tail wastegate would make a great combo.

·
RRev Motorsports
668 Posts
I have a GT4088R on my car. I made 647 rwhp at 6600 RPM on 29 psi. The powerband on it is absolutely SICK. I have 500 ft-lb of torque from 4400 RPM to redline. The torque maxed out at 598 ft-lb at 5100 RPM. I feel that this turbo is a perfect match for the supra, with a very good powerband and good transient response due to the ball bearings.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Latteboost said:
I have a GT4088R on my car. I made 647 rwhp at 6600 RPM on 29 psi. The powerband on it is absolutely SICK. I have 500 ft-lb of torque from 4400 RPM to redline. The torque maxed out at 598 ft-lb at 5100 RPM. I feel that this turbo is a perfect match for the supra, with a very good powerband and good transient response due to the ball bearings.
Thanks Latteboost, very nice numbers and that is why I'm so eager to find out more info on this. I've read your long thread about the Gt4088R and was very interesting but confusing as well.
Are there different configurations in the GT40R setup? Like you mention 4088
What does the 88 mean?
What exhaust manifold are you using?
Where did you buy the turbo from and how much did you pay for it? If you don't mind.

Also do you have the Anti surge housing removed on the turbo? I've heard from many that removing the anti-surge housing will make the GT40R turbo even more reponsive and powerful, since there is no real need for it in this setup. WOTM offers this upgrade, don't know how much. Would you consider it?

Thanks,
Tim.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
Taimur said:
Thanks Latteboost, very nice numbers and that is why I'm so eager to find out more info on this. I've read your long thread about the Gt4088R and was very interesting but confusing as well.
Are there different configurations in the GT40R setup? Like you mention 4088
What does the 88 mean?
What exhaust manifold are you using?
Where did you buy the turbo from and how much did you pay for it? If you don't mind.

Also do you have the Anti surge housing removed on the turbo? I've heard from many that removing the anti-surge housing will make the GT40R turbo even more reponsive and powerful, since there is no real need for it in this setup. WOTM offers this upgrade, don't know how much. Would you consider it?

Thanks,
Tim.

You can just order the GT40R without antisurge and save the money!!!!

·
RRev Motorsports
668 Posts
The 88 in 4088R refers to the diameter of the larger portion of the compressor wheel. The size of the turbo itself is slightly smaller that a T66 (I believe the diameter is 64.3 mm).
I am using the HKS manifold, which produced a much better power curve than the old RPS manifold I used to have.
I bought it from Limit Engineering 928-453-7321, but dont remember how much I paid.

I have the anti-surge housing, and would consider the anti-surge delete part from WOTM if I had proof that it would work on my application.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sound Performance said:
You can just order the GT40R without antisurge and save the money!!!!
Larry are you sure you can buy a GT40R without the Ant-surge housing?
I spoke to a couple of vendors and was told that it only comes the ant-surge housing?

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
Taimur said:
Larry are you sure you can buy a GT40R without the Ant-surge housing?
I spoke to a couple of vendors and was told that it only comes the ant-surge housing?

I am 100% positive I can get you one without antisurge!

·
Track Junkie
1,581 Posts
I have been trying to find a GT40R for some time without anti-surge. Larry, do you have them without anti-surge or know anyone who carrys them? I am sure my buddy who owns a R33 GTR and I would be very interested in it :D

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
AtlSupra said:
I have been trying to find a GT40R for some time without anti-surge. Larry, do you have them without anti-surge or know anyone who carrys them? I am sure my buddy who owns a R33 GTR and I would be very interested in it :D

I would have to order it, I know Garrett is releasing the next batch in mid June.

Larry

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm a bit confused as to the diffrence between the GT 4088R, GT40R and the GT 40-67 can some detail the diffrences as far as hp and lag between them.

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
GT40 comes in 2 configuartions

GT4082 and GT4088. The 82 and 88 designate the diameter of the exducer on the compressor side. We are all use to the diameter of the inducer aka T-66, T-67, etc.

I'd like to know more about the GT40-67, I've heard Precision makes this variant that has the center section of a GT Series with a 67mm sized turbo.

·
Premium Member
12,615 Posts
chnco said:
I'd like to know more about the GT40-67, I've heard Precision makes this variant that has the center section of a GT Series with a 67mm sized turbo.
Ask Larry at SP about the SPSSGT850W turbo... ;)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FYRARMS said:
Ask Larry at SP about the SPSSGT850W turbo... ;)
Just spoke to Larry about this turbo. These are not Ball Bearing but have a low friction cartridge than the regular SP(precision) turbos. He said these are slightly better than regular turbos and not as expensive as ball bearing turbos.

·
Premium Member
12,615 Posts
Yep. They spool very well, also. Great turbo for the money!

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
I've got the Precision 40-67 on my car and am VERY happy with it . I've only had it turned up to 15psi on pump gas so far as we have been sorting the car out slowly and I don't have much time to drive it. I am very happy with the turbo, it makes great HP up top and wants to keep on pulling, it's a little laggier than one would initially expect for a 67mm turbo but still spools fairly quick.

Here's my Pump gas dyno, boost controlle was set to 12psi but had some creepage, so it hit 15 at the top. These are pump gas numbers. I should have high boost numbers in the next few weeks and then high boost + NX 75 shot after that (hoping for 800).

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
Looks like alot of potential! Can't wait to see the high boost runs!! :)

I'm assuming though the Precision variant uses a Garrett GT center section and I'm guessing their own compressor/exhaust wheel?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts