Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and can't seem to find any threads with info on how to remove the A/C. I rarely put my roof in so the A/C hasn't been used in the years that I've owned it and I would like to save weight & clean out some clutter in the engine bay.

Could someone post some links with info and pics? Thanks!

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
1,752 Posts
michaelvanle said:
The main line that runs from the battery to the passenger firewall, do you just plug it up, weld it up, leave it open?
I have pulled my a/c out with no issues. the main line I left open, I dont know if thats causing any issues though. I'd like to know if it is suppose to be left open.

p.s. I kept the ac condenser attached and is spinning freely. I dont know anyone who sells an acessory belt w/o ac. So there would be no need for a pulley or bracket.correct me if im wrong.

·
TT This
917 Posts
jeremyhelling said:
No need for a different non-A/C heater box or different pulley or modified bracket or anything?
I haven't done this on the Sup yet, but I have on some Hondas. Just unbolted everything, all the aluminum lines and took everything out. It never affected the heater/blower in the car at all.

If you need to find the correct new belt when your done just run some string around the pulleys, then bring it to an automotive parts store and say you need a belt "this big"...

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
NinetyFiveNA said:
I haven't done this on the Sup yet, but I have on some Hondas. Just unbolted everything, all the aluminum lines and took everything out. It never affected the heater/blower in the car at all.

If you need to find the correct new belt when your done just run some string around the pulleys, then bring it to an automotive parts store and say you need a belt "this big"...
The reason I ask is because w/the Typhoon you have to fabricate a custom bracket. I don't want to leave the compressor in there hooked up or not. I want the whole thing gone and would rather not put a pulley in it's place. I would like to get a shorter belt and just delete the whole thing. I haven't looked at the bay on my Supra but sounds like all I need to do is pull the equipment and get a shorter belt, huh? That's great news and soon as I get some time this week it'll be A/Cless. Thanks for the info fellas.

Edit: Also, from the pic you posted it looks like you have to remove the power steering pump but why is this necessary if you're pulling it from the bottom? Is there some bolts you can't access w/o the power steering pump being removed? The reason I ask is I don't want to have to pull the O-Ring and replace it and wouldn't this also mean draining and new PS fluid too?

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
supradriver247 said:
I have pulled my a/c out with no issues. the main line I left open, I dont know if thats causing any issues though. I'd like to know if it is suppose to be left open.
I would imagine if you ever wanted to hook it back up you would need to clean that line out real good before you hooked it all back up again if you didn't cover it. (Assuming we're all talking about the same thing here.

supradriver247 said:
p.s. I kept the ac condenser attached and is spinning freely. I dont know anyone who sells an acessory belt w/o ac. So there would be no need for a pulley or bracket.correct me if im wrong.
As long as it's attached it's really not 'spinning freely' as anything causing drag (no matter how much) is robbing power that could be sent on to the transmission and ultimately the wheels. My goal is to 86 this entire assembly and I know all vehicles are different and some require custom brackets and pulleys to keep the routing correct. Just want to make sure I have everything I need to do this before I start ripping it apart.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts