Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
[///M] Humdizzle
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright within the next month I am planing on purchasing a bike. Yes, I do have riding experiance. Alright first things first, Im planing on most likely a used bike. No older then an '03. Id like to only spend 6k, but if the bike is an absolute must have then maybe 7k at the most.

Here are the bikes I have narrowed it down to...
1. Yamaha R6
2. Suzuki GSX-R 600
3. Triumph Daytona (600, 650, or 675)

I would like to know some opinions about these bikes, what to look for, what to watch for, and also whats there strong and weak points. And finally whats the main differences between the Daytona 600, 650, and 675?

Thanks Kyle

·
Pimp of Centralia
2,815 Posts
Fairlady said:
Alright within the next month I am planing on purchasing a bike. Yes, I do have riding experiance. Alright first things first, Im planing on most likely a used bike. No older then an '03. Id like to only spend 6k, but if the bike is an absolute must have then maybe 7k at the most.

Here are the bikes I have narrowed it down to...
1. Yamaha R6
2. Suzuki GSX-R 600
3. Triumph Daytona (600, 650, or 675)

I would like to know some opinions about these bikes, what to look for, what to watch for, and also whats there strong and weak points. And finally whats the main differences between the Daytona 600, 650, and 675?

Thanks Kyle
R6's changed in 03 .. i think thats the year they went FI..

the R6 is a litte higher off the ground than the 03 GSX-R 600 and has more power..

the GSX-R 600 which remains the same from 2001(which means you could buy an 01 and its the same exact bike) .. is lower to the ground.. has a wider tank for taller riders and corners just as good if not better than the R6.

Daytona's are good in corners like all british bikes, but they are much slower than their 600 counterparts
the 03 GSX-R 600 also comes with stock steering damper

·
road hazard
452 Posts
note that a good triumph mechanic is somewhat difficult to find. also, triumph parts are always backordered and are almost never in stock at the dealer but that may change with the new 675 helping promote triumph bikes.

japanese sportbikes are extremely easy to work on. if you aren't mechanically incline, mechanics for them are a dime a dozen.

not a honda fan eh?

IMO, if you're willing to pay 7k for a used bike, might as well wait a little longer to save up and get something brand new.

·
[///M] Humdizzle
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Keep them coming. Forgot to mention, I would most likely go no newer then '05 on the yamaha and suzuki. The new 675 I have heard many many good things, so possibly would go newer with that. Also needed to mention, Im not looking for a bike only for speed. I want a bike thats all around great, I mean the speed is nice, but honestly its not like I am going to top it out or race it every time I take it out. So, comfort and reliablity along with other great aspects needed.

Thanks Kyle

·
road hazard
452 Posts
i suggest you look into a 2001 Honda CBR600F4i or later year.

its sporty, very comfortable, fuel injected, easy to work on, parts aplenty, good size aftermarket, made by honda so you know reliability is great...a flat out great, all around bike.

you can pick up a used F4i in the $4-6k range.

·
A T-Rex going "Rawr!"
2,778 Posts
Just spend a little more and get a new Gixxer. Why spend almost the same amount for a used bike that you don't know the history of?

·
Pimp of Centralia
2,815 Posts
toysupra1 said:
i suggest you look into a 2001 Honda CBR600F4i or later year.

its sporty, very comfortable, fuel injected, easy to work on, parts aplenty, good size aftermarket, made by honda so you know reliability is great...a flat out great, all around bike.

you can pick up a used F4i in the $4-6k range.
not to mention the 01 F4i doesn't have the banana seat like the new ones and is very sport orientated .. not touring like the new ones...

quick bike.. great to learn on also

·
A T-Rex going "Rawr!"
2,778 Posts
You can get a new 600 for what? 8?

Look at it like this 03 for 7K + new clutch + new brake pads + new tires = 8K.

I agree that the F4i is a great all around bike though. But you should be paying more like 4500 for it.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I would buy a new one for the money you are going to spend, it is a little more but it will be worth it.
I think the F4i would be good for you but I would look for a cheap one around $4k or so because after you get tired of it in a season or two you can sell it without too much loss.

·
Registered
370 Posts
You should get on both and see which one is more comfortable, preferably while you are riding. I don't think you could go wrong with either a r6 or k6. I got lucky and picked up a mint 04 r6 with 900 miles for dirt cheap a little more than a year ago right before riding season. I'd say go with a used one if you can get yourself a deal. Might not be easy with riding weather approaching.

I have never ridden a k6 before, so I can't give you an honest comparison. Few of my friends ride 04 k6's and they love theirs. I love my yamaha and it treats me well. The r6 has always been a solid bike and always will be. For suzuki, its only a matter of time before I get my hands on a gixxer 750.

You know you want one... :)

·
road hazard
452 Posts
efini/supra said:
I have never ridden a k6 before, so I can't give you an honest comparison. Few of my friends ride 04 k6's and they love theirs. I love my yamaha and it treats me well. The r6 has always been a solid bike and always will be. For suzuki, its only a matter of time before I get my hands on a gixxer 750.
by k6, do you mean a 2006 gsxr600? because to clarify, the k goes by year...k4=2004, k5=2005, etc.

·
[///M] Humdizzle
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright another question if i were to purchace a bike other then a dealer or private seller...where do you all prefer to look, ebay? Also I had noticed that the Triumph Bikes, they are hard to come across dealer wise...any suggestions there?

Thanks Kyle

·
-=R1der=-
371 Posts
I'd go local or 200 miles from where you live.

·
road hazard
452 Posts
Fairlady said:
Alright another question if i were to purchace a bike other then a dealer or private seller...where do you all prefer to look, ebay? Also I had noticed that the Triumph Bikes, they are hard to come across dealer wise...any suggestions there?

Thanks Kyle
local cycletrader magazine has all you need. try not to buy the first thing you see.

·
Registered
146 Posts
if you're looking for comfort don't look at the GSXR, R6 or Triumph because none of them will be "comfy" although some won't be as bad as the others (CBR600RR is the worst thing I've ever sat on but it's a great bike).

You won't be able to tell a difference in power or cornering on any of these unless you put some serious miles on them and go back to back. Like someone already said the Triumph may be a great bike but aftermarket and mechanic resources are going to be a royal pain if you ever need them. Just sitting on a bike isn't really going to tell you much because it's different than riding it. You really can't go wron with any of the bikes that are 03 and up, they are all great. Older than an 03 I would stay away from the ZX6R but would look at all the others.

To me the best place to look for a non-dealership bike are bike forums. You can tell by people's post count how long they've been around and usually people will call out a scam when it hits. I always see REALLY good deals on bike forums as well, just be patient.

·
Pimp of Centralia
2,815 Posts
^ not sure why you say stay away from the zx6r.... but in 06 they changed the seating position on the zx6r and it is now one of the most comfortable 600's

1 - 19 of 19 Posts