Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size injectors are you using and what mileage are you getting.
looking at 880-1000 and like to know

·
900 BHP Club :)
4,934 Posts
1000cc's - 21mpg freeway with AEM.

Not so good driving around town :)

·
Na Zdrowie
958 Posts
880's + 4k stall + city driving= Not a pretty number.

BUT on the freeway with the tc locked up, it's a different story. I can manage over 20 mpg.

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
With 1000's I had around 26-27mpg on highway (6 speed car). The 1600's are a completely different story... those things are impossible to control under 3k rpm. Just not enough duty, so they fight A/F constantly.

·
Banned
1,984 Posts
crappy mileage means what? 15 mpg??
Mileage shouldn't be a concern for those building up a high hp car.

·
Hawtness
1,598 Posts
but some people drive their high hp cars around town.....which i think is awesome! Why build a car to just dyno or race at the strip gotta enjoy it!

·
Super Moderator
10,582 Posts
19 mpg at 80-85 mph on the way to Vegas last year. 1,000 cc injectors x 8. HKS 3.4L stroker and twin GT3240s. Strokers like fuel so can't lean it out like a 3L motor; at least not mine.

Ken.

·
900 BHP Club :)
4,934 Posts
21mpg straight highway and 12-14 mpg in the city :(

·
Registered
707 Posts
Gotta love Ken's post since he's got 8 injectors and two of everything else and was going an average speed to 80-85 mph in a long 65 mph zone. No dish on Ken he is one of the most stand up guys I've ever meet.

I have only 6 850 cc injectors (67mm turbo (spssgt850w)) and get 26 mpg on the highway with some pulls and normally get about 21-22 around the city. I run the aem ems and tune for an afr of 15.0:1 while under flat cursing of up to ~80 mph. But drop to an afr of 11.7:1 under load On a road course I normally get about 4.4-4.7 mpg... depending on the course. My wrench is that I spray meth above 140 kpa (20.3 psi) and pull out about 24% of gas flow when boosting above 20.3 psi. Still it give me 26 mph on the high way and 21 mpg city.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Not to hijack the thread - but something I just thought of. If you was to have staged injection on a high horsepower 2JZ-GTE, I'm guessing the fuel consumption would be better than what's being seen already? Especially City mileage?

I must say though, those are some good figures for car's making upwards of 700rwhp.

EDIT: By staged injection I mean 12x injectors running - one set of smaller injectors then another that kick in at high boost/load...?

·
Super Moderator
10,582 Posts
Gotta love Ken's post since he's got 8 injectors and two of everything else and was going an average speed to 80-85 mph in a long 65 mph zone. No dish on Ken he is one of the most stand up guys I've ever meet.

I have only 6 850 cc injectors (67mm turbo (spssgt850w)) and get 26 mpg on the highway with some pulls and normally get about 21-22 around the city. I run the aem ems and tune for an afr of 15.0:1 while under flat cursing of up to ~80 mph. But drop to an afr of 11.7:1 under load On a road course I normally get about 4.4-4.7 mpg... depending on the course. My wrench is that I spray meth above 140 kpa (20.3 psi) and pull out about 24% of gas flow when boosting above 20.3 psi. Still it give me 26 mph on the high way and 21 mpg city.
Hey Bill,

We'll have to finish our convo in Vegas we never got a chance to complete. Hope I'll see you there this year.

You, Dr. Mike and JamesN1830 are getting some damn good mileage. For me, steady-state, flat road cruise AFR is high 13s to low 14s. The motor starts to get unhappy any leaner than that. That is some amazing around-town mileage you're getting. I've never done a mileage check for city driving. I know it's not that good, though.

miltulparmer787: Many of the guys commenting, Bill P, Dr. Mike, JamesN1830 and myself are well over 700 wheel and some of us are WAY over 700 whp. So your point is well taken about the relative frugality of our motors given the power they're capable of producing.

Ken.

·
OG
1,059 Posts
When I read Bill's and Ken's comments, it sprung to my mind that there is an old "conventional wisdom" thought that the optimal cylinder size for high performance engines is about 350 ccs. With a 3 L 6, we have 500 ccs/cyl; with the stroker about 565; which moves it farther away from the optimum. I would think that the mixing of air/fuel would be a little more difficult in that situation; in order to avoid lean areas within the squish volume (which might be prone to pre-ignition) you'd need to run it a little richer overall.

I'd expect that as long as the injectors can meter and atomize efficiently at the low duty cycles needed to cruise at a stoichiometric AFR, mileage should be roughly similar.

Just a few theoretical, probably worthless thoughts...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts