Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Speed limits = Guidelines
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every once in a while i come across a pic of a car with the subs mounted inside out(magnet outside the box)...Is there a technical reason for this set up, or is just for show?

i was thinking that mounting them that way with a speaker that had a voicecoil on the back of the magnet would have a very nice high frequency sound since the voicecoil would not be muffled from being inside the box

are certain subs specifically made to be mounted like that? or are they just regular subs bolted on inside out

reason im asking is im considering this for myself

· Im A Fuking Ninja!!!
6,330 Posts
looks mostly from what i can tell, i did that with my audiobahn because the back was chrome and had it cut in flames outline, make sure he box is dimentioned for it.

By azcamel

· Slowly getting there
1,055 Posts
1. Looks. Those Audiobahns above have a nice magnet structure, so do my Focal subs, so you would want to show them off

2. Airspace. If your subs for example demand 2 cubic feet of box and your magnet structure takes up .4 by itself, sometimes it's just easier to reverse mount the subs so you don't have to make the box bigger (2.4>2.0) just because your subs are really big.

3. You have infinite baffle subs and you just happen to be looking at the magnet side of the woofers. And just to start controversy, lots of subs work great in this setup... but you have to have a real trunk, not a hatchback, to take advantage of the free air.

4. To get really esoteric some DIY guys mount multiple subs cone-to-magnet to help reduce distortion. Check out "infinite baffle subwoofer" and you'll get to some pretty sweet looking home installs.

2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
id like to have some better treble in my system, dont mind sacraficing some bass in the process...would having the subs w/ voicecoils outside like this improve that?

i was going to have the magnets facing the front seats, in a box that deletes the rear seat

· Registered
2,165 Posts
If you're counting on your subs to help with your treble, you're doing it wrong. Every speaker has a frequency in which it should be operated given the parameters of the vehicle at hand. You should be tweaking your crossover and your main amplifier for the mids and tweets to work out your treble issue.

2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
i wasnt referring to the sub cone itself i was talking about the high frequency voice coil on the back of the subs magnet which acts as a tweeter....the way mine is, whenever I turn the subs on, its as if all the music is coming from them, it completely drowns out the door speaks....i think it sounds good, my only complaint is the muffled sound the voice coils make from being on the inside of the sub box....i figured mounting them like the pic above would bring them out into the open and make for a better sound

maybe im using the wrong term, i really dont kno what the tweeters on the back of my subs are called

· Registered
11,198 Posts
no no no, listen my friend, the reason why you have "music" coming from your subwoofer is because it isnt crossed over properly, you must not have them on the sub channel of your amp. your subs are not supposed to emit any frequencies such as you are hearing.

edit-there are no tweeters on the back of any subs......the voicecoil is a component of the subwoofer.

2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no no no, listen my friend, the reason why you have "music" coming from your subwoofer is because it isnt crossed over properly, you must not have them on the sub channel of your amp. your subs are not supposed to emit any frequencies such as you are hearing.

edit-there are no tweeters on the back of any subs......the voicecoil is a component of the subwoofer.
i think i get it...sound systems are not really my cup of tea...but im learning

thanks for the insight

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.