Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to install my new head unit in my 94 TT and I was wondering a couple of things.

1.Does someone make a wiring harness for our cars

2.What is the wire beside the antenna wire? Is it a amp turn
on lead?

3.I am going to a single DIN unit and I was just curious what is th most popular option for the space underneath it? A pocket or just a flat plate?

4.Is it easy to find the speaker wires on th stock amp? Are they color coded?

Thanks!
wes

R

·
0 Posts
1. Yes, you can find a wiring harness for your car at any car audio supplier (best buy, circuit city ext.).
2. There are several wires besides the antenna but yes there is an amp lead.
3. THe empty space depends on the looks your going for. Some peopel chose to use the pocket for extra storage but others tend to use it for either other audio ezuipment or other electronics (turbo timer, apexi products ext.).
4. The wires that you harness connects to are not dirrectly connected to the stock amp. They are actually behind the head unit on the right side. If you fallow the wireing harness that was connected to the back of the stock headunit you will find that they connect to another wiring harness. Just disconnect them and plug them into the new one you bought for your aftermarket headunit.

Hope all this helps.

Redline Performance Products....

·
Eat a bag
96 Posts
Do not go to Circuit City to get a harness. They dont know anything. They have a manual there for their car install guys and when you lookup a 93-98 Supra, it says there is no harness for it. Just go to Discount Auto parts or someplace like that. The harness you want is one for all toyotas 1974 - up or something like that. DO NOT connect this harness to the one that connects to your stock head unit. Follow those wires down and connect the harness you buy to one a little bit further back and down on the right behind the head unit. You will see three white harnesses, connect to the one of these three that it fits.

I am not sure what wire you are talking about next to the antenna so I cant help you out there.

Many people do many different things with their Single DIN extra space. I put a pocket in there cause I want as much extra space as I can get in my Supra since there is not too much to begin with. A lot of people put their turbo timers on a plate there also.

If you are using the stock speakers and such, you may have a tough time with the wiring cause you have to make sure your head unit is compatable with the stock amp. I am not too familiar with this cause in my Supra, I bypassed the stock amp and removed all the stock speakers for everything aftermarket (see sig)

Let me know if you have any other questions...

Jeff

S

·
0 Posts
I just bought an Eclipse 54410 on Ebay. Can I just go to some stereo shop to buy a harness and pluck in it? Coloblind seems to suggest it is not as easy as that? This is kind of scaring me now. Any kind of help is appreciated. I have not received the unit yet, when I do I am sure I will have more questions. Thanks!

·
Eat a bag
96 Posts
Yes you can go to some stereo shop (but I would go to discount auto parts cause they will be cheaper) for the harness and plug it in, but I would check around a little bit to make sure it is compatable and will work with your stock amp. I am not positive if it would or not. Ask around someone who just installed a headunit... like I said, I bypased it so I am not much help when it comes to that.

Jeff

S

·
0 Posts
AKA SIR: Is there any reason why the HU will not work with the stock amp? I am thinking of changing the amp, but I heard I have to get a 5 channel amp inorder to do a 1 to 1 swap, and 5 channel amps are kind of hard to find, or they are expensive. Thanks.

·
Eat a bag
96 Posts
I am guessing it will be compatable, but I am not 100%. I know with my old Explorer which had a built in amp, it was a circus to get an aftermarket head unit to work with it. Supras may be different though.. That is the only reason I brought it up.

Jeff

I

·
0 Posts
You will need to bypass your factory amp if you plan on adding an aftermarket head unit. If you are planning on just adding aftermarket speakers and leaving the factory HU you will be fine leaving the amp active (make sure to get speakers with compatible RMS handling capabilities as what the factory amp puts out......which shouldnt be hard). You COULD connect the amp turn on lead (blue wire w/ white stripe on aftermarket wiring harness)...but you will eventually fry your stock amp out. This is caused because you are taking out your factory HU, which puts out no wattage for the most part because it is running through the factory amp, and replacing it with a HU that is sending out somewhere between 40X4-60X4 wattage. The factory amp isnt capable and wasnt designed to handle that sort of power, thus eventually messing it up. I know its a rough explanation, but it is late:) The sound system in the TTs work pretty much the same as Bose systems found in Maximas, and most factory amplified systems in Ford Explorers and Expeditions. I wouldnt recommend replacing the factory amp with another 5 channel amp. Get a good four channel amp to run your components up front and your rear speakers. If you want a sub...add a 10, 12, whatever makes you happy...with a good quality sub amp. Personally...I am planning on using the spot that the factory sub is in right now for a cd changer location. I will be replacing my factory HU in the near future and may do a detailed write up on the HU replacement, speaker replacement, and amp bypass with pics and such for those who are trying to DIY. Good luck

·
road hazard
452 Posts
to get a wiring harness for a mkiv, just go to your local car stereo shop and ask for a 87-up toyota stereo wiring harness.

eclipse head units are perfect for toyota vehicles. the 87-up wiring harness matches up the color code with the eclipse wiring perfectly. i did this with my eclipse 7301 head unit and everything went perfectly when i installed it. when you take your stock stereo out, there's a pair of plugs in the dash somewhere that plugs directly into the 87-up wiring harness.

I

·
0 Posts
BTW...If you got to your local car audio place to get the wiring harness...you will need the Metra 70-1761. Just ask them for this harness and you will be good to go.

S

·
0 Posts
IntenseTT:

what is the metra 70-1761? Is this the same harness as the toyota 87-up stereo harness? Thanks!

I

·
0 Posts
Yes it is. It is the product number from Metra for the 87-up Toyota harness. I thought it may help those out that are looking for the right harness. Good luck

·
Cope, the dip of champs!
267 Posts
whats the correct metra faceplate number? on metras and other sites that ive checked it says N/A for the 94-98 supras.

I

·
0 Posts
That is because there isnt a particular face plate for our cars. You use the factory brackets that are on the side of the factory radio to mount the aftermarket HU. You can either use a peice of ABS plastic to cover the gap left over (if you go with a single din unit) or you can use a universal pocket so that you have a little bit of extra storage. Some people that go with single din units use the leftover area below the radio to mount their turbo timer, boost controller, gauges, etc. etc. For those that go with double din units...well there isnt any room leftover. It is taken up by the new HU.

·
Eat a bag
96 Posts
Yeah, there is no mounting face kits for Supras. There are metal brackets attached to the stock unit that you remove and mount to your aftermarket deck. All aftermarket decks will have the corresponding holes for them.

Jeff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts