Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the stock top mounts you can torque the top nut up when there installed.

On the Tein Coilovers with the top mounts, if you tried to torque the top nut up the center shaft would just turn with the nut so you cant torque it.

Are they torqued up from Tein when they come or is there a way to do this yourself when installed?

·
Power Speed
181 Posts
You have to find a way to hold the top mount while torquing the nut with a torque wrench. The specs for the torque are in the installation manual. I had the same problem too. I found when I was torquing the top nut, the shaft and the top mount would turn. I installed mine in a spring compressor and secured the top mount from spinning while I torqued the nut to specs.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im trying to torque it up after there installed on the car.

The top mount doesnt move as its bolted up to the body,

Its the center shaft only thats turning with the bolt. There is no way of clamping the shaft other than being a butcher and putting grips on it (which im not prepared to do)

·
Power Speed
181 Posts
Are you torquing it using a torque wrench? The torque on the nut is pretty low. And the rod might turn a little before the wrench clicks. Is the car on the ground while your torquing the top nut? You also you might want to check if the rod is fully in the mount, and that the tein supplied washers are in the right location on the rod, according to the diagram.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeh, car on ground, Initially tried tightening it up just to make sure they were not loose.

When it turned the entire shaft a bit i was unsure how i would manage to torque the nut up if needs be as the Tein top mounts dont lock into the shaft like the stock ones do.

These came fully assembled from Tein UK. Thats why i wanted to check this.

·
Power Speed
181 Posts
Oh...These are fully assembled including a top mount already installed? The Tein SS dont come with a top mount, you have to use the OEM mounts. If they came fully assembled from the factory they must be the HA or RA and are already torqued. You shouldnt have to retorque them. You're right...the factory mounts lock into the shaft and they have their own torque spec for the Tein SS. Which was the case on my car. In your case Tein must have a way at the factory to torque the top nut. I wouldnt worry about it unless it says in the instructions for your kit that the top nut has to be retorqued after installation. If you dont have the installation instructions check the Tein web site, they have them there. Also if they have a torque spec be sure to use a torque wrench, Tein advised that damage can occur to the strut if too much torque is applied to the top nut.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have Tein super street with Tein upper mounts. They came fully assembled dude.

Its the Tein Basic coilovers that you have to use the factory top mounts with.

The Super Street and Flex kits have the option to use the Tein top mounts (I think with the flex kit you have no choice)

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
if it came all put together you are all set.

·
Luvs ( . ) ( . )s
2,088 Posts
Use a adjustable wrench on the big nut for the top mount and use a 8mm (i think) on the shock shaft where the adjuster is. This way it prevents it from moving when you tightening it, if the shock shaft starts rotating it might loosen something inside, my tein RA instructions said do not let it move when your tightening the big nut for the top mount.

·
Registered
244 Posts
sward42 said:
I have Tein super street with Tein upper mounts. They came fully assembled dude.
WRONG. I dont know if you got luckey, but i can garentee you the tein super streets DO NOT come with " upper" ( pilliow ball) mounts.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I Think i may have been misunderstood.

I know the Super Streets dont come with the upper mounts when you buy them, But you can buy "as an extra" the upper mounts to go with them made by tein!

That is what i did, and they came assembled!

onlylexus8 said:
WRONG. I dont know if you got luckey, but i can garentee you the tein super streets DO NOT come with " upper" ( pilliow ball) mounts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts