Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Couple questions for those 'in the know'. I have an Alpine 7995 head unit with the 3, 4volt preouts. They are labeled as Front, Rear, and Sub.

In the back, I have an Alpine MRV 340 4 channel amp for the components. At the time being I have one Alpine MRV300 mono amp for 1 - 10" sub. Setup is straightforward here. My question comes from me wanting to drop the 10" and go with 2 8" subs, probably the JL 7w.

If I have 2 8" subs(or worked in 2 10" subs), I would like to pick up another MRV 300 mono amp and run a dedicated amp to each sub. Could I use the Rear preamp outputs from the head unit to power the 2nd mono amp or should I run both amps from the sub preamp output off the head unit?

·
silvermkiv
448 Posts
Do your sub amps have rca outputs on them? The best scenario would be to run your rca's from the HU to the first amp, then daisy chain from the output of that amp to the input of the other amp. Your HU has a sub volume control which would not work correctly if you used the sub outs for one amp and the rear outs for the other. If there are no outputs on your amps, you could use 'y' splitters. Run one set of rca's from the HU to the back then split the L & R rca into two seperate sets, connecting one set to each amp. This will work, but won't be optimal as you will probably get some signal loss.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. There are no RCA outs on the amp so that I could Daisy chain them together. I looked at Alpine's website and they recommend an amp controller, something that is mounted that allows you to control the adjustments on each amp, up to 8 of them. Since I don't want to put more things in the dash, a simple Y connector will probably be the way to go, even with the loss of signal strength.

Thanks again,

·
silvermkiv
448 Posts
In your situation, my suggestion would then be to ditch the smaller amps and just get 1 bigger one with enough power to drive your speakers how you want. Alot less headache IMO.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i agree with parboy on this one, instead of running two amps for two subs, just use one bigger amp. much less hassle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem is I already have one amp for my current sub. I was just looking for something that could use what I have, if possible.

If I sold the current amp, that would really keep the cost of the bigger amp in check, so yeah, that might be the better route to and keeping it simple to boot.

Thanks for the help!

·
Its Me...Its Me
631 Posts
run the rca off the sub output and split them at the amps! it's only sub not like you have to choose with channels to run l r f r That way u can even control both amps at the same time and same rate, shouldn't be a problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts