Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Now with 0JZ
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday morning, I had nothing better to do then rip appart my interior, and do a bunch of wiring that I've been putting off for a while. Some of that wiring included installing a switch to disengage the fuel pump, as a security feature.

http://www.1jz-gte.us/Images/TSRM JZA70/91ecupinout.jpg following the pinout diagram here, I spliced into the Vf wire (left hand connector of picture, small green wire) The switch is installed in series into this wire.

The switch was then installed in a secret location (Sorry, no pics :) ). I switch it off when I get out of the car.

When the switch is off, if the car is started, it will run for a few seconds, then die.

It works great.

In the future, I will redesign the system as a momentary switch connected to a relay. You will first turn the car into accessory position, and hit the switch, latching the relay open, allowing the pump to operate. When the key is removed, the relay wil latch closed, making sure the pump is disabled every time you leave the car.

·
FTG & the IRL!
186 Posts
If you have a 5 speed, keep this in mind if you decide to install the relay/momentary switch - stall it in traffic, on a hill, ect., and you'll have to reach for and press your hidden switch. Think about it, if you have the radio on in the ACC position and try and start the car, the power is momentarily cut to the radio - as it would to your relay. Good idea if you can work out this little issue.

annoyingrob said:
Yesterday morning, I had nothing better to do then rip appart my interior, and do a bunch of wiring that I've been putting off for a while. Some of that wiring included installing a switch to disengage the fuel pump, as a security feature.

http://www.1jz-gte.us/Images/TSRM JZA70/91ecupinout.jpg following the pinout diagram here, I spliced into the Vf wire (left hand connector of picture, small green wire) The switch is installed in series into this wire.

The switch was then installed in a secret location (Sorry, no pics :) ). I switch it off when I get out of the car.

When the switch is off, if the car is started, it will run for a few seconds, then die.

It works great.

In the future, I will redesign the system as a momentary switch connected to a relay. You will first turn the car into accessory position, and hit the switch, latching the relay open, allowing the pump to operate. When the key is removed, the relay wil latch closed, making sure the pump is disabled every time you leave the car.

·
Addicted to Boost
336 Posts
yea its not that great , i just recently removed mine on my 1g. it was a pain in the ass. i didnt install it tho , it was there when i got it. so i had a new relay, installed on the pump itself rewired back to the ignition and shes all good

·
Now with 0JZ
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pb92supraturbo said:
Think about it, if you have the radio on in the ACC position and try and start the car, the power is momentarily cut to the radio - as it would to your relay. Good idea if you can work out this little issue.
Get a power source that isn't inturrupted. The relay will obviously be installed beside the ECU, the best possible power source is the ECU power. It shouldn't cut-out, or else your car would have problems.

Even if the button is never used, just having it installed counts as an anti-theft device, and lowers your insurance rates.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Not much gets cut out as far as power goes when starting the car, just stuff on the ACC circuit. IG1 and IG2 still have power.

·
Needs More 1jz
987 Posts
is it hard to do this? i mean could i do it? (i suck at wiring)

seems like a cool mod id love to have it just incase im not somewhere where i can hear my alarm.

·
Now with 0JZ
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it's actually very easy. Cut the fuel pump wire (That diagram is for the 1JZ, you will need to find one for the 7M), then run the two cut pieces to a switch. That's it.

·
On the edge of adhesion..
942 Posts
Did the same thing with an electronic keypad...don't have to worry about someone finding the switch or ensuring the pump is disables everytime I leave the car. Enter in the keypad number (myself and 1 other person knows) and go! Great theft deterent...

Khris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts