Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Sleeper King
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I swapped out my stock cam gears for the hks gears.
I had thought that I lined it up perfectly with the notches. I guess not, because when I got on it after the install, my vacumn is just under 0 ( kg not psi) usually close to 20, and then when I get on it, very little movement of the boost gauge, and no boost at all.

Does this sound like I need to adjust the cams/cam gears and crank?

Ok, I need to put on a new timing belt anyways, thats why I left the shroud and some other unnecessary items off for now.

I just want to make sure I am installing the new timing belt correctly, and making sure my timing is accurate.

basically, I need to line up the crank to 0 TDC. Then line the cam gear notches up to the marks on the cover. Reinstall the timing belt and put everything back together. Just wanted to make sure there aren't any notches or marks on the belt itself that I have to match up.

Any help or advice is appreciated

M

·
0 Posts
Belt has no marks you need to worry about. Crank notch 0 TDC (you can also use notch on the oil pump, and groove on the star-shaped ring behind the crank gear...this in case lower timing belt cover with 0-10 marks is off), cam gear notches need aligned with the back cover. Keep the tensioner out, make intake pulley-crank pulle belt as tight as you can, then slip it over the exhaust side pulley, and pop the tensioner in, then release the pin. Turn two complete revolutions, and check notch alignment. If it's all dead on, you're set to go. Use loctite on tensioner bolts too, and idler pulley bolt.

I think you forgot to tighten the cam gear bolts all the way, small bolts around the gear, used for tuning. Common for AEM cam gear bolts to come loose, manufacturer recommends loctite on them. Either that, or there is some major slack in the timing belt.

·
Sleeper King
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Monster, your a life saver :)

I have a question with the timing belt tensioner, can you go into alittle more detail about the process of installing that tensioner?
I was looking at the shop manual and I see that they use a hex or allen key to hold the pin in place. Is this what I'm supposed to do? and what is the purpose?

thanks again monster for you help

chris

M

·
0 Posts
As soon as you remove your stock tensioner, it will fully release pressure and extend the pin out. What you need to do is: inspect tensioner for oil leakage, if it's nice and dry use wise or press (if you have access to one) to press it back in, then place 3mm hex wrench thru the hole in the pin to keep it from extending again. Make sure you reuse the dust boot on it too. Take the whole assembly out, and loosely insert it into position. Do what I told you about the belt (align marks, tighten belt right side (intake/crank), slip over exhaust cam gear), alternate tensioner bolts until tight (torque to specs, use loctite), and in the end release the pin.....two revolutions of the crank, recheck mark alignment. Its pretty straight forward bro. Good luck.

·
Sleeper King
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you!

thank you very much monster!!!

I'll let ya know how it goes. I just ordered the timing belt from jaymarks :) (thanks jeff)

chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts