Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally installed the electric fan today. It was a Bosch from a Volvo 740 (I think). What a fan! This thing moves some air & seems to free up some noticable hp too. It is an easy, very clean install. The original radiator was also cracked so got a new radiator at the same time. Used a fan switch from a '86 Celica GT (on at 194deg off at 185deg) & is a normally closed switch (which I didn't know until testing the switch in hot water.) This is actually a great design because if the switch fails or if the switch wire breaks, the fan stays on & you know there is a problem.
To do this you must hook the 12V to the fan up to the 87a connector on the Bosch type relay. I put the switch in where the charcoal canister switch "used" to be.
Makes for a really quiet motor also when the fan isn't on, all you hear is the burbling 3" exhaust without the constant loud roaring of the motor fan.
Fan was $30 + $15 shipping (ebay), switch was $32 at AZ, had the relay, wire & connectors.
Ya'll need to do this upgrade.
Mike

·
I'm in the Death Business
1,924 Posts
what is the size of the fan that you got? I am very interested in getting a new fan set up, so this just may prove to be the thing i need.

·
DAMN u a big one lady
1,278 Posts
Yeah, I have the dual electric fan setup.... cleans up the bay a lot, and works very well. I live in Southern PA so the climate isn't that drastic, so I don't have to worry about overheating. But I love mine!

·
1,924 Posts
so if I can get an electric fan set up, I just need that relay switch for the 86 celica for it to just drop right in? Cause I have a source that I can get an electric fan set up for dirt cheap, if not...for $free.99 :) So I'm seriously contemplating this swap.

·
1,924 Posts
Sweet, it's time to go electric fan hunting!

·
1,924 Posts
I'd rather revive this one than start a new thread. Do you happen to remember the part number or anything like that? The people at the local autoparts stores in Stockon grew up under power lines I think, either that or they ate a lot of paint chips when they were kids. They can never seem to locate parts even after you spell out what you are looking for exactly. Also if you have a picture that would be great, that way I could go in for a little show and tell. :) :beer:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts