Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought brand new Intrax lowering springs and installed them yesterday. Now the front has a huge wheel gap (I can fit my fist between the wheel and fender) but the rear is normal (about 1" drop). The suspension also seems very soft. I'm wondering if anyone had the same problem? Are the springs supposed to settle or break-in?

·
Powdered Toast Man
370 Posts
Well, if you took off the spring perch from the shock and put it on another shock upside down, then that could be your problem, but you didn't mention changing any shocks. I have intrax springs too, and I have a LOW car. I'm guessing that it doesn't have anyting to do with the spring unless you put the back ones on the front and vice versa. Then again, if you're using the stock shocks, then that may be a problem. Are you using TEMS shocks or stock one? I remember once some guy bought some monroe strocks or something like that with lowering springs and his car didn't look lower at all. Yes the car will take some time to fully compress the springs to a lower height, but you should have seen a noticeable difference in the front right after you dropped the car off the jack.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't replace the stock struts or take them apart and I put everything back together just like it was when I took it apart. It is not TEMS suspension. I don't think the front/rear springs are interchangeable so I don't see how anyone could make that mistake. This sucks though, I feel like I wasted my time and money because it is pretty much the same height as stock. :mad:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, mine did the same exact thing, the rear is lowered, but the front still looks almost the same. I thought it was because I changed the front subframe to an 88 model (mine is an 89). But apparently this isn't the reason why. I used just plain old gabriel shocks from autozone, so maybe this is why, but I still don't see how, because all of the perches on all shocks should be in the same spot. On a positive note, mine hooks up a hell of a lot better sitting like that.. :rolleyes:

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't see how the stock struts would increase the ride height. I just thought it was weird since I did a search on Intrax springs here before and in all threads people said it was a very low drop like H&R, that's why I bought these springs. Maybe Intrax springs aren't very consistent in drop amount? tmauto, how long have you driven on your Intrax springs, and did you notice if they got any lower since you put them on?

·
Registered
285 Posts
i had the same problemb took about a week and it came down itself... break in i guess

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey ive got the intrax springs, mine dropped great front and both, bout 1 finger fits in the fender wells w/ stock wheels. And btw, we have struts, and struts, nor shocks affect ride hiegth. Vehical weight rest on springs only, struts dampen suspension travel and volocity. So id say take it apart and find out what you did wrong. Its a progressive spring rate meaning it takes more pressure to compress the lower you compress the spring, so you very well might of installed them upside down.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Torque on the control arm is.....? My Haynes manual says 121lb/ft....seems like a lot of torque. Why do you want to torque the control armson level ground?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mostly Thumbs said:
Torque on the control arm is.....? My Haynes manual says 121lb/ft....seems like a lot of torque. Why do you want to torque the control armson level ground?
:stupid:

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Booter22 said:
i had the same problemb took about a week and it came down itself... break in i guess
I hope that's what it is. I don't want to take it all apart again.

SupraSpeedBWU said:
Its a progressive spring rate meaning it takes more pressure to compress the lower you compress the spring, so you very well might of installed them upside down.
In my experience the springs on our cars only fit on one way, so I don't see how anyone could install them upside down or reverse front/rear. I double checked and everything is where it should be.

Ven said:
Did you torque the control arms back to spec while the car was sitting level on the ground?
I thought about this also, but I don't see how this could be the problem if the suspension moves up and down freely without binding. I'll take a look at that anyway.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have an intrax springs too,they suck,like riding on mash potatoes,and yes the front is higher than the back.

I'm thinking about cutting a ring from the front,lol

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mine have been on for over a month now, no settling has occured.
And whoever said to take them back off and check them, well I already did that and everything is on the way it should be.
I don't see any way possible to put the springs on upside down being that one end is bigger than the other. :rolleyes:
Ven's suggestion of checking the torque on the control arm might be a valid point in my situation, because I had all that crap torn apart at one point, and no I didn't torque it to specs. So I will try that, thanks Ven...

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I have had the Intrax springs on mine for about 5 yrs, with no problems. As soon as they were installed, the car was at a good height, and have not settled at all further since then. The back may LOOK like it's lower, even if the car is perfectly level, as the rear wheel wells are not cut as high as the fronts, so it may be a perspective thing.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Suspention techniques are cheap (120) and work great for me....

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I loosened the control arm bolts while the car was on the ground and tightened them back up - no difference. I did notice that the car settled about half an inch during the last couple days, still looks a little tall though.

SupraTrey said:
thats what you get for buying Intrax
I wish I knew that before.

Mk threeing said:
I'm thinking about cutting a ring from the front,lol
I thought about that, but what was the point of buying these springs then? I could have cut the stock ones if I wanted to do that.

Ckanderson said:
Suspention techniques are cheap (120) and work great for me....
Where did you find ST Springs for $120?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts