Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
SUPRAS FOR LIFE
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys I Dont Know If Anyone In Here Has A An Answer For Me But I Thought Its Worth The Try....i Recently Installed A Q45 Tb In My Car And Used The Trac Tps .....the Idle Is At 2k ....moving The Tps Sensor Doesnt Seem To Do A Thing To The Idle. That Shyt Is Hovering Around 2k Constantly.....during A Cold Start Its Lower But As The Car Warms Up The Idle Goes Up To 2k.....i Always Thought Playing Around With The Tps Sensor Would Cure This Problem...but Yesterday I Did That N I Was Very Disappointed....plz Advice.....

Thanks In Advance

Yogi

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
TPS has nothing to do with how high it idles. You're getting too much air into the engine. Butterfly may not be closed all the way or there is a bypass built into the throttle body allowing air around the butterfly. I've never messed with a Q45 TB so you'll have to take a look at.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I don't know too much about your setup so don't let me sidetrack you too much. :)

The only thing I can add to the post above is that maybe make an adjustment to your Idle Air Control Valve. Also, perhaps the Q45 throttle body has an IACV built in like the NA Supra does?

·
SUPRAS FOR LIFE
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
interesting...someone before told me something about removing the brass l=plunger from the tb..im really not sure wat that is....can someone clarify this......

thanks for the info guys.....i think imma be busy this weekend!!!

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
There should be an adjustment screw which will allow you to set the max close point of the TB.... find it and adjust it... your idle will drop. Then adjust your TPS if necessary.

I just looked at mine - it's a small screw to the right (if facing the front of the TB) - that is at the top right of the TB (near the mounting hole). If threads through the TB and acts as a stop.

·
SUPRAS FOR LIFE
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks jim....problem fixed....i was jus messing with and dropped the idle...messing with the tps really didnt do much good.....that little screw was the culprit all this time...didnt see cause my tb is mounted upside down...just the way my intake manifold is designed.......... :)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
LOL.... Congrats Yogi.... simple enough eh...:D

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Cool - let us know how the TB performs.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Did you get the idle low enough, or is it now 1500!

I was the one that told you about removing the plunger device! The plunger heats up with coolant running thru it, causing the cold idle linkage to rotate and rest on the hot idle screw.

You need to remove the lower cold idle linkage or it will never make it to hot idle unless it gets really hot. The plunger itself doesnt need to be removed, but might as well. There are two screws mounting the linkage to mounts on the TB. Watch out when the spring comes off, it is strong!

Al

·
SUPRAS FOR LIFE
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey al...thanks man....i was looking at the brass plunger.....it looked like a pain in the ass to remove it...so i was tryin to beat around the block...n a simple little f*#ker was the problem...ohh well its not loud anymore...n i will not need the silencer to come home at nights.....by the way i left the idle at 1100 because..i really didnt wanna hear the clutch chatter either......best of both worlds..... :)

·
SUPRAS FOR LIFE
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jim Swantko said:
Cool - let us know how the TB performs.
hey jim....the response in this tb is amazing man....some of the local members that drove the car said it was soo much better than the stock one....i really feel the difference.....i really dont know how it will perform in a stock manifold...i have a sp gen 2 manifold!!

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
jdmuscle said:
hey jim....the response in this tb is amazing man....some of the local members that drove the car said it was soo much better than the stock one....i really feel the difference.....i really dont know how it will perform in a stock manifold...i have a sp gen 2 manifold!!
You are running a stock ECU, correct? What kind of fuel setup - VPC? Did you have to add fuel at low RPM's to keep it from being too lean?

Thanks man!
Al

·
SUPRAS FOR LIFE
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey al...im running mapecu.....and actually at idle its a little too rich!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts