Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my R2 bushing kits this past friday and the results are very good so far. Handling and response is much improved and the car feels newer. The install took me about 11 hours and i did all the pressing work and alignment myself. For all you guys that are going to do the pressing yourself...i found that a ball joint pressing kit works well in some cases especially on the rear. I was able to replace the bushings in the rear lower control arm, and the toe adjustment arm still on the vehicle just by loosening the bushing side and swinging it down and using a ball joint press. Doing it this way kept me from having to break the ball joints loose on those arms. All in all everything went pretty well and again i think the results are wonderfull so far. Thanks Dusty!

John

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
holy crap....11HOURS!!? props to you for hanging in there and doing all of it on your own, but what took so long? Is it pressing in/out the old bushings that took th emost time?

·
Premium Member
10,091 Posts
Phamous202 said:
I just installed my R2 bushing kits this past friday and the results are very good so far. Handling and response is much improved and the car feels newer. The install took me about 11 hours and i did all the pressing work and alignment myself. For all you guys that are going to do the pressing yourself...i found that a ball joint pressing kit works well in some cases especially on the rear. I was able to replace the bushings in the rear lower control arm, and the toe adjustment arm still on the vehicle just by loosening the bushing side and swinging it down and using a ball joint press. Doing it this way kept me from having to break the ball joints loose on those arms. All in all everything went pretty well and again i think the results are wonderfull so far. Thanks Dusty!

John

Thanks for your excellent write-up and feedback John, appreciate that!

It does take a long time when you do the press and alignment yourself, but congrats on sticking it out!

Kind regards,

Dusty

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just used a standard kit that you can buy at most places that sell tools like sears or napa...oh and this ball joint press also works on the rear spindle bushings without having to remove the rear spindles from the vehicle. All you have to do is bend the rotor backing plate a little to get it out of the way. This saves a lot of time.

TTSupdog said:
Nice job... Iam looking to do this myself what ball joint pressing kit did you use ?

What took the longest was figuring out the correct way to press each bushing out without damaging the control arm. The way toyota assembled these control arms made it fairly difficult. I also took a lunch break in between so it really only took 10 hours. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
10,091 Posts
x X CLoud X x said:
how much do places normally charge for a full bushing kit install?

If they charge by the book I think its 12 hours of labor, so generally its a lot. Its much cheaper to remove your own control arms and have a local machine shop press in/out the bushings. You can then get them installed for less than $200 + your time.

Regards,

Dusty

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
Nice to hear they make a big difference. This is definitly on my soon to do list.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
buy a press, they're pretty cheap, and very useful to the average garage mechanic...

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
I just got mine installed along with eibachs and Konis. The ride is firm, too firm actually. I am going to adjust the koni's and hope it softens the ride up a bit.
Dusty: Did you make your shocks softer after you installed the bushings?

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,091 Posts
lis2k said:
I just got mine installed along with eibachs and Konis. The ride is firm, too firm actually. I am going to adjust the koni's and hope it softens the ride up a bit.
Dusty: Did you make your shocks softer after you installed the bushings?

Actually no, I made no adjustments. I was very happy overall and the increased firmness reminded of a car with 150,000 less miles on it.

Regards,

Dusty

1 - 20 of 23 Posts